Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Strap Problems.......help!!!

onewilyfool

I bought my very first Guitar strap this weekend.....lol.....AND, I can't seem to fit it over the end pin, which is actually the 1/4" outlet for an on board pickup......any suggestions on how to attach it without wrecking the strap, or streaching it out so much it can't be used for regular end pins????? I know this is a rookie question, but as far as straps go.....I'm a virgin....Thanks for any help!!!

OWF: This is ALWAYS the case with a new strap. If you look closely you'll see there is stitching in a bottle shape around the hole and the slit from the hole. As long as you don't go past the stitching you can cut away at the slit to enlarge it and cut away some of the leather (or fabric?) around the hole to enlarge it with an Xacto knife or blade. I find a curved SHARP Xacto works perfectly. My new Taylor leather strap was especially difficult but I got it to work.

I have been able to use standard strap ends on my acoustic/electric end pin but they do fit tight. I have a couple that I have used a leather hole punch to open the hold up just a small amount so that they will close up the slot when around the pin. You didn't mention what kind of strap but if you plan on using this strap on this guitar all of the time it would be worth custom fitting it to that guitars end pin. Sometimes making the slice a little longer will help also without opening the round hole to a larger size.

assuming that your strap is leather?

i've had this happen with a few straps - every single time i've modified my strap with a knife i've regretted it no longer than about 2 weeks later. every single time i've been patient with it i've been happy. the leather straps i've had have always stretched/broken-in to a point where they work well pretty quickly (but definitely not the day i've gotten them).

i've found that if you work the leather in your fingers and be pretty tough on it it'll loosen up pretty quickly. the problem with cutting it is that after a few uses it opens up some and then it's too loose and your guitar isn't secure enough.

don't know what type of strap you have but i've had some tough levis straps that i've been able to get to work very well for me after just a couple of days. i wouldn't rush to cut it up. if this is your first one you're not in a rush :D

I have heard that tight leather strap holes can be "opened up" by getting the end pin hole area wet then squeeze 2 nickles on each side of the hole with a vice grips or something similar. It may leave a round indentation on the strap, but it will flatten the leather and open up the hole enough to make it much easier to put on the guitar. I have never tried that but it sounds reasonable to me.

Make a small incision on the strap side of the nut. Go slow, go easy. It takes a sharp knife. Just a little bit at a time, test fit, and cut again if necessary, until you get just the right amount of resistence for installation. Cut too much? Use needle and thread to snug things up. OB's call this a 'husband stitch'.

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

| |

/

a /

O /

/

Cut on the 'a' side of the hole.

Man oh man. With the recent discussion of this very problem here I cannot believe that folks continue to struggle with this. Simple observation will reveal that a standard strap button hole will not fit an endpin jack without some kind of massaging. No offense to the OP, but, plain and simple, folks need to pay attention to details that can and do make a difference. And not just in regard to guitar straps.

End of rant.

WF, There're two inter-related issues here - regardless of how big the slot is, does the hole in the strap have as much circumference as your end pin? Second, equally important - is your strap (double leather?) thicker than the groove on your endpin? If either of these are a problem, you are better off tying a cord with a good knot onto your strap and with a slip knot on the bitter end for slipping it on and off your endpin. Otherwise, you run the risk of your guitar heading south. Round nylon cord tied in a classic hangman's noose is a foolproof way of keeping your strap strapped on to your endpin. G'Luck, Jim

I bought my very first Guitar strap this weekend.....lol.....AND' date=' I can't seem to fit it over the end pin, which is actually the 1/4" outlet for an on board pickup......any suggestions on how to attach it without wrecking the strap, or streaching it out so much it can't be used for regular end pins????? I know this is a rookie question, but as far as straps go.....I'm a virgin....Thanks for any help!!![/quote']

What's up, Wiley! I had the same problem. Here's what I found out. A spent .45 caliber bullet casing cuts the EXACT size for the endpin you're talking about. Take a small hammer and punch the hole in your strap with the spent shell casing and your troubles are over! The brass casing makes a nice clean cut, just like the factory cut.

Archived