Gibson Brands Forums

My '80s Gibson LP Deluxe (Photos)

Georgie_39

I just got out my '76 to compare...and it's identical to the top one ('70) in hardware placement, and even horn shape.

So, they must have "Varied?" quite a bit. I know the headstocks did...some were not all the different, and others

were very wide...like Paddles! Looked out of proportion, to the small LP body. I was lucky...and got a great one!

CB

I figured out why it looks so weird.

The horn sticks down more than the upper bout sticks up.

On the normal LP cutaway, the horn follows the same contour as the upper bout until it is cut away.

The profile matches top and bottom.

On the funky one, the profile is all wacky because the horn actually protrudes downward past the normal contour.

It's not just a short, too-wide cutaway, it actually hangs down outside the usual body profile.

Weird.

Learned something new tonite.....

Yeah' date=' and the actual curve (cutaway) is wider, too. Weird! Maybe it's a "Fake?!" LOL!

CB[/quote']It's actually not fake. These were the types of quality/craftsmanship issues that Gibson faced in the mid '70s. because almost all of the people who actually knew what they were doing, fled to Nashville, and in their place Gibson hired some reletively inexperianced workers.

And that picture of the '70 Deluxe isn't wide angle, in fact here is a side-by-side pic to better illustrate the differences:

10032009051728am.jpg

The sunburst to me seems like it's the latter 75-80 year because of the 3-piece maple top and the exaggerated headstock:-k

The blue one has the characteristics of late 60's early 70's LP

Plus it appears both of them have Nashville bridges (especially the burst), and those weren't introduced until 1976....... unless they were changed:-k

10032009051728am.jpg

All you faker/poser/wannbe guys and your Faded/Worn/Satin/Relic/Murphy-aged baloney need to see these pics!

THAT is what a played guitar looks like - honest.

Thanks for posting the pics from Chile!

(And don't you dare take those mini-hums out of there!)

I'm not sure if I agree

Granted I'm not one for the premature relic'd stuff, but I believe you can keep your axe looking pristine, even if played regularly.... Me personally I don't like beat-up looking guitars... I like my ladies to stay well-kept.

I was mainly talking about the ones made at the exact time of the changeover' date=' when Gibson hired new workers to fill the spots of the guys who went to Nashville. If you look at the difference in quality/craftsmanship between the late '60s-early '70s Deluxe and the mid '70s Deluxe [like the one pictured above'] you can clearly see that during that time, there is a VERY clear difference.

Here's what I mean:

Here is a 1970 Deluxe

70deluxevv.jpg

Compared to a 1975 Deluxe

80gibsonlpdlxfront2.jpg

Now, see what I mean?

look at the cutaway on the second one....

quite a difference.

If you look at my 80 LPC it has the wider less radius cutaway. But really you can't judge the quality of an instrument based on different characteristics. I would dare to say the manufacturing processes were more hands on 25 years ago, so little things like curves and contours would be different from one guitar to the other.

• 4 months later...

Look this video of my ’81 LP Deluxe.

I play in a ’63 Fender Vibroverb without pedal effects. I recording with a small Sony Cybershot cam (ambiental sound).

And this with a Fender Tweed Blues Junior (NOS Tubes Upgrades and Jensen C12N Speaker):

Regards [biggrin]

Your LP Deluxe looks great and has lots of mojo. Those mini humbuckers are great pickups and I wouldn't change them at all.

I have a 1975 Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop. I really like it but it does not stay in tune very well. I think it must be the tuners. What are those tuners like on your 80 LP Deluxe? Mine are the Gibson Deluxe ones with the keystone tuning buttons.

Ok I gotta say something about these deluxes.....I've heard about them and I've heard good things about them hehe

Ok now the serious stuff....I've never really heard, saw or never played a deluxe but after watching the videos..I think they are pretty cool. Still not sure about the mini humbuckers but I do think they look great. Oh the cutaway looks amazing compared to todays LP's. I think the Norlin years were amazing because of all the cool stuff Gibson was trying out.

Maybe one day I'll have the privilege of playing one,,,,didn't say own one...just said play one lol

copyright of swleary INC. ... prohibited by law of any use without written consent lmao

Look this video of my ’81 LP Deluxe.

I play in a ’63 Fender Vibroverb without pedal effects. I recording with a small Sony Cybershot cam (ambiental sound).

And this with a Fender Tweed Blues Junior (NOS Tubes Upgrades and Jensen C12N Speaker):

Regards :-

My first taste of some Brazilian blues. You have a sweet tone' date=' thanks for sharing. [cool

Ok now the serious stuff....I've never really heard' date=' saw or never played a deluxe but after watching the videos..I think they are pretty cool. Still not sure about the mini humbuckers but I do think they look great.[/quote']

The mini humbuckers are brilliant sounding pickups!!!!

The Deluxes made 1970-1971 (I think) had Gibson embossed in them and looked really good too.

I just missed a blog here on someone's 74 Deluxe. Anway........ for what it's worth, here's my 75 Deluxe. It was my main axe for many, many years when I was touring. Solid tuning, never an issue with tuning. I bought this around 1988 or so from my luthier who is world class and he got this from a collector in NYC. I paid $600 for at that time. The mini humbuckers had been changed and the stock PAF's were there. I had this customized back in 1990 with Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and Dimarzio PAF in the neck. The tuners were changed to grovers and I wished I'd had the guitar before someone changed the tuners and routed to make it a full humbucker. None the less it's a terrific guitar that also has the dark back. The neck is a 59 round style from what I gather and the headstock is very wide. I love this guitar and it has stood by me through many shows and studio sessions, never failed me. It does have significant weight but the sustain is unreal and although I am really a Junior funatic, if I had to go back on stage tonight, this would be my choice and I have a lot of choices as you can see. I rate this 75 deluxe 4.9 stars out of 5 but that's just my opinion. Thought I would share this with the forum. Some said the 75's were not all that good but I have to tell you this one sings.

1975 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top

1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom Cherry Sunburst

1965 Gibson Les Paul JR/SG Polaris White (refinished)

2005 Gibson Les Paul Junior Vintage Sunburst

2007 Gibson Explorer Pro Heritage Cherry

2007 Gibson Les Paul Junior Double Cut Nashville Satin White (GOTW, 400 made)

2007 Gibson Melody Maker Joan Jett Series White

2008Gibson SG Classic Heritage Cherry

2009 Gibson Nighthawk Trans Amber Limited Run (350)

1978 Fender Stratocaster Yellow

1974 Marshall MK II 50 watt head

1974 Marshall 4x12 1960 Bass Lead, 25w Celestian Greenback 16 ohm

1976 Marshall 4x12 1960 Base Lead, 25w Celestian Brownback 16 ohm Ipswitch

1978 Fender Pro Reverb 2x12 Silver Face

2006 Crown DA-75 Power Amp

2004 Genz Benz 2x12 G-Flex Ported Cabinet

1985 ENGL Model 620 Tube Pre Amp

2007 TC Electronics D-TWO

2006 Lexicon MX200

2001 Roland XP-30 Synthesizer

1975GibsonDeluxeGoldTop.jpg

Well, I can't join in on the Norlin bashing. My LP Custom is from the Norlin era, and I think it's great, as does everyone who has ever played it.

Love your Deluxe, "Georgie 39". The grain on the top is incredible!

Enjoyed your videos as well. Tasty licks!

Archived