Gibson Brands Forums

The first cut is the deepest

Johnt

Sorry about nicking your line Cat!

Was just thinking whilst sitting here plucking my 1979 norlin J45.

I recall the day we met in 1981 when I went to a music store in Bath now long gone and there she was on the wall.

Only £600 ( but that was ok cause I just got a new Amex card)

She was new ( I was assured) and a sample of the UK Gibson rep who had passed it on to Steve, (the owner of Assembly Music) to settle a debt,

I was hooked from the moment I saw the magical word "Gibson" on the headstock.

Now in retrospect, IF i'd troubled to lift the "Assembly Music " sticker from the rear of the headstock I would have seen the feffing great gouge where someone had taken a chisel to the "2" which Gibson have always stamped their seconds with. ( unusual for Norlin they had so few "2s"

Do you know that sticker is still intact after 28 years?

Oh the shame Rodney!!

The point I was making is that this guitar has always felt most like me, it has snuggled into my gut when I weighed 150 lbs and now it kinda gatecrashes my vastness at 200 lbs ( I wish!!)

No way it's going un til I can make it sound like Therm does or there was that time when some guy from Godin came to do a gig at the Lamb and Flag and played a couple on the J45...........

Now Ihave alomost enough dosh to buy the "dream" SJ200 I wonder will I feel the same about that?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIBSON-1959-J-200-SUNBURST-WITH-ORIGINAL-HARD-CASE_W0QQitemZ160258733880QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item25502a3738&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Just a thought.... everyone has a "keeper"

John....I don't know about you' date=' but I'm trying NOT to Keep some of my 200 lbs.....lol....great story though...hope you have many more great hours of play!!![/quote']

Ok Robert I was being economical with the truth its 211lbs !!

Gave up smoking three years and three stone ago, bout the time my much loved Ovation 12 string gave up the clash of the collosusses (<------???) between the bowl back and aforementioned tummy!

I guess what I am saying is that we all have a guitar we go to at the end of a poo day, it's been said here manytimes before.

In all honesty, for me it has always been my Taylor 612C. I purchased it new back at the end of 1993 or early 1994 and it was my only guitar for many a year and the first "good" one I ever had. It wasn't until I got my AJ that I realized you CAN have two loves.... then along came my LG1 and I realized I may actually be a Morman since I now have 3 loves! I give to each pretty equal time but if push came to shove and I could only have one.... I would most likely be one again with my Taylor at the end of the day. It is like a great pair of holey jeans or those shoes your wife keeps telling you to toss, but you just cant.... Like the girl of your dreams from high school that you had fantisized about and then realized (maybe years later) that reality was even better than fantasy when you finally got her to notice you in a nice way... #-o

My family knows though, if it ever REALLY came down to it and the house was on fire, they had better save themselves as I am grabbing all 3 of my (favorite) guitars on my way out the door or die trying! (Really, I would make sure they were safe and then grab the guitars and run screaming from the front door.)

Also, I should add that my Taylor has been faithful to me as I went from about 190 lbs to 235 lbs and now back to 180 lbs. She always seems to fit in my lap no matter what my size currently was.

Magic. No question. Guitars may come and guitars may go, but Magic will never leave. I always 'go back' to that guitar and fall in love all over again at first strum, just like the first strum at the store on January 13 2006. If there was ever a fire here, the cats and the guitars go first, but if I could only grab one guitar out of the 4, it would be Magic, hands down.

Magic. No question. Guitars may come and guitars may go' date=' but Magic will never leave. I always 'go back' to that guitar and fall in love all over again at first strum, just like the first strum at the store on January 13 2006. If there was ever a fire here, the cats and the guitars go first, but if I could only grab one guitar out of the 4, it would be Magic, hands down.[/quote']

I remember. You made several trips......

I was there..... (well, not THERE) But I remember you buying it........

:D

I remember. You made several trips......

I was there..... (well' date=' not THERE) But I remember you buying it........

:-({|=

[/quote']

I think I saved that thread somewhere, from the old forum. I think Mike (guitarstrummer) went back pages and pages and found it and we saved it before they closed the old forum. I should try and find it.

I think I saved that thread somewhere' date=' from the old forum. I think Mike (guitarstrummer) went back pages and pages and found it and we saved it before they closed the old forum. I should try and find it.

[/quote']

I have some memory of it. You found it, loved it, something about a deposit, something else maybe, sheeze, too long ago......

:-({|=/

The local music store (at the time) had a new J-45 identical to that in 1976. More than once I went there after school and lusted over it.

Gawd, what a flashback. A row of no-name Japanese classicals strung with rusty steel strings priced at $33, Goya single strings in blister packs on a tall skinny floor display rack, a display of psychedelic Ace straps, Fender Champ amps for not much over $100.... and the smell. I don't know if it was the guitars or the Lowrie organs, but that smell hit you when you walked in.

Never mind playing Kick the Can or skinny dipping with Sally Sue Sundae, my childhood memories involve music stores!

You silly old Hector you. I've yet to play for J45 but hope to soon. But id Nik thinks it's cool then that's good enough for me

My first was the 72 Yamaha SG30 I still have. It's been used and abused and suffered from my "improvements" including applying wood stain and about 1/2" of polyurathane. Don't do this!!!! I lusted after an SG2000 in those days and still do.

The battered case is the best thing about it now. But it's a big part of my life so is going nowhere.

Totally agree with TommyK about women. My first love was about the same time and I still think about her all the time. Met her for the first time in about 15 years last year at a reunion. Still gorgeous......... and she looked OK too!

In a word' date=' "no".

Like women, you can never feel the same way about subsequent ones as you do your first. [/quote']

Ah Chrissy Brooks................................................

But I love my wife more than her memory.

But hang on I can have my J45 First love AND a new blonde with big bouts!!

And it's legal!!!!

Archived