Rhys_WTB

ok, so im looking to get some new pickups into my guitar

a gibson les paul studio

i play punk style music with my band

and im looking for more distortion

one possibility ive been looking at, is a gibson dirty fingers humbucker

any other recommendations?

cheers

does your studio have the 490/498 pups? or it is a VM with BB Pros? if you have BB Pros, i would switch to the 490/498. if you have the 490/498, i would keep them and mess with your pedals/amp.

the 490/498 pups are not dirty by any means, but i think they are excellent all around humbuckers for just about any stylecof music.

does your studio have the 490/498 pups? or it is a VM with BB Pros? if you have BB Pros' date=' i would switch to the 490/498. if you have the 490/498, i would keep them and mess with your pedals/amp.

the 490/498 pups are not dirty by any means, but i think they are excellent all around humbuckers for just about any stylecof music.[/quote']

i honestly have no idea

i bought it second hand from my local guitar shop

it was shipped over from america (live in england)

Don't get the newer Dirtyfingers pickups. They Suck and are nothing like the ones from the 80s.

You will not like them.

Try this Dude. A real nice Quality Made 1 Meg or 2 Meg Pot First. You can only get-em here

http://Torresengineering.com/new1megpotfo.html

Normally everyone just goes with the 500K but for what you want, go with a 1 or 2 meg pots first.

It will get you were you want to be without Changing pickups and since nobody really Knows about

these or has ever had the Balls to use these. You'll have the Hottest Studio Around.

Don't get the newer Dirtyfingers pickups. They Suck and are nothing like the ones from the 80s.

You will not like them.

Try this Dude. A real nice Quality Made 1 Meg or 2 Meg Pot First. You can only get-em here

http://Torresengineering.com/new1megpotfo.html

Normally everyone just goes with the 500K but for what you want' date=' go with a 1 or 2 meg pots first.

It will get you were you want to be without Changing pickups and since nobody really Knows about

these or has ever had the Balls to use these. You'll have the Hottest Studio Around.[/quote']

wow thanks for the link

never seen anything like these before

so these basically go in place of the volume control?

(just looked on the site to what they actually are lol)

Yea Give-em a Call the numbers at the Bottom of the page.

Those are custom made and only made by them.

You just take out the old ones and put those in.

The Stock ones I think are 300k and Give-ya a Darker Sounding Axe

and Really Do not Allow that much to come Through. The 1 or 2 meg ones

will Sound a Lot Better Pumped up with Soild State Distortion.

A .048 cap will allow you to cut some of the Highs.

So look at those too or call and Ask them what they would

think would go best with what you pick-out.

P.S. a PA-2 Boost and the Varitone and the Expander

are great too. Look into those.

At least get the PA-2 Boost and Cut the Switch arm

and put it under the control cavity if you don't want to

Dill a Hole in the Front of your Guitar. The Boost is

Really nice to Have on your Guitar

What kind of amp are you using?

If you need more distortion try a pedal first, there are lots of hig gain pedals that work great.

I'd try the EH metal muff with top boost and the vox bulldog, visual sound's jeckyl and hyde is a great pedal too. All of them are 2 chanel pedals so you'll have 2 different tones at your disposal, with the metal muff you have a diferent eq for the top end when engaging the top boost channel, with the other 2 pedals you have completely different fx in each channel (1 with less distortion and a diferent voicing).

In my opinion, it's best to invest those 200some bucks you'd spend on pickups in a good pedal. That way you keep your guitar stock and dont risk doing something wrong.

What kind of amp are you using?

If you need more distortion try a pedal first' date=' there are lots of hig gain pedals that work great.

I'd try the EH metal muff with top boost and the vox bulldog, visual sound's jeckyl and hyde is a great pedal too. All of them are 2 chanel pedals so you'll have 2 different tones at your disposal, with the metal muff you have a diferent eq for the top end when engaging the top boost channel, with the other 2 pedals you have completely different fx in each channel (1 with less distortion and a diferent voicing).

In my opinion, it's best to invest those 200some bucks you'd spend on pickups in a good pedal. That way you keep your guitar stock and dont risk doing something wrong.[/quote']

i use a marshall AVT 275 combo

would a metal muff be a bit too heavy for the punky sound im going for

type of sound im going for

blink 182

you me at six

all time low

mayday parade

then again, im a newbie with all this, dont have a pedal at all

so im seeking the opinion of more experienced people like yourselfs

i use a marshall AVT 275 combo

would a metal muff be a bit too heavy for the punky sound im going for

type of sound im going for

blink 182

you me at six

all time low

mayday parade

then again' date=' im a newbie with all this, dont have a pedal at all

so im seeking the opinion of more experienced people like yourselfs[/quote']

I think the metal muff can give you all those sounds but as you said, it can be a little too much. Have you tried boss pedals? Most people use them and they are cheap, best to spend 45 bucks on a pedal you can easily sell (or even return in some cases) than to install pickups and then find out that wasnt the problem.

Your amp is half solid state so hotter pickups wont do much.

yehhh i only gt the AVT, because my band was booked a gig, and i didnt find out till 2 days before, and i knew this guy who was selling one for £150, and i thought, yeah its pretty good, and i need an amp quick

at the moment i am saving up for a marshall tube amp, either the dsl, or a tsl

thanks for all the help by the way guys, it is really appreciated :-

NO problem' date=' good luck with the gig.[/quote']

thanks but we already had the gig, this was back in august

the AVT isnt all too bad though

we used for our bands recordings the other week, some real rough demos

www.myspace.com/wtbonline

give it a listen if you can

cheers =D>

i think if you want more distortion then a pedal or a different amp would be better for you. if you were having problems with the signal, i would recommend getting new pickups or checking the connections. but it seems like you're more concerned with your amp's capabilities....

You said in an earlier post that you've never used a pedal so i'd say get down your local guitar shop and ask them if they can show/demo a couple for you before you go down the route of new pick ups.

IMO. A pedal is much more versatile than a pick up and would be the first thing to try.

Good luck.

yeah pedals are something i have lacked exploring to be honest

they have crossed my mind recently, for a solo boost during live performances

any good recommendations?

punk style music is the genre we play

bands like

all time low

mayday parade

you me at six

blink 182

cheers #-o

Archived