Gibson Brands Forums

The guitar solo that REALLY sucks...

NeoConMan

There are some solos out there that just never should have been recorded.

I've started a thread like this several times and it's always interesting to see what pops up.

Listening to the radio in one of the offices at work' date=' the "rock" station here in Phoenix was playing Eric Clapton.

Now, before all you Clapton worshippers go on the warpath - when's the last time you heard the live version of [b']Cocaine[/b]?

Killer song, but the live version sounds like Clapton got completely lost and started hen-pecking on the strings.

Simply awful.

Some goofy synth effects in the song too.

Anyhow, that ranks right up there with Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl or Beastie Boy's Fight For Your Right.

What say you?

WOW, I was just listening to the live version of Cocaine and thinking how much I like it better than the studio version. I even heard the full version, not that radio edited version where they cut half the solo out. Love it!

I've always thought the lead to Here I Go Again by Whitesnake was lame. The song kinda rocks, but then this little doodley solo comes in. It just doesn't fit IMO.

Remember that horrible song by Steve Perry called "Oh Sherry"? Remember the even worse solo? If not, then you're lucky.

Even if I could play those solos better ( I can't....any of them)' date=' they still made a hell of a lot more moolah than someone that could nail it in a bedroom.[/quote']

Agreed, very true.. In my post's case, Blue Cheer have had a pretty good run (there're links to a 2008 show). Probably earned them a pretty nice piece of change.

I didn't post out of "jealousy" (IE: I could do that.. because I couldn't touch any of them).. It was simply an opinion on the performance..

This "cut" looks like it's from the actual album.. Much cleaner..

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4-rhMjH-tI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Agreed' date=' very true.. In my post's case, Blue Cheer have had a pretty good run (there're links to a 2008 show). Probably earned them a pretty nice piece of change.

I didn't post out of "jealousy" (IE: I could do that.. because I couldn't touch any of them).. It was simply an opinion on the performance..

This "cut" looks like it's from the actual album.. Much cleaner.. /quote']

I wasn't trying to call you or anyone else out on anything, just saying that even guys who get paid lots-o-dinero still suck sometimes. I also find it funny how one person could think that the exact same solo is great and the next think that it is total garbage. Isn't music magical?

I wasn't trying to call you or anyone else out on anything' date=' just saying that even guys who get paid lots-o-dinero still suck sometimes.[/quote']

I thought about putting both clips in as a "before and after" compare.. Don't know why I didn't..

If you follow sports...... It happens all the time...

I also find it funny how one person could think that the exact same solo is great and the next think that it is total garbage. Isn't music magical?

That's why there are zillion bands and a zillion opinions..violent-smiley-1493.gif.

I admire Zakk Wylde as a musician and love the song 'In This River'. However the solo for the style of ballad it is, is completely inappropriate in my opinion.

Yes it is good playing in isolation but in context of the song I find it very poor.

matt

People's taste in music sure is funny. Three of the solos mentioned above, in a thread about solos that REALLY suck, are three of my favorite guitar solos of all time: Young's "Cinnamon Girl" and "Like a Hurricane" and the Stones' "Time is on my Side". Go figure....

... my favorite guitar solos of all time: Young's "Cinnamon Girl" ...

One note does it for ya' date=' eh?

#-o/

In the context of the song, okay.

Knowing it's Neil Young and he's prone to all kinds of artistic tangents, okay.

But to be sitting around with your friends and say "check out this guitar solo I worked up" and then play THAT would draw nothing but laughter, snorts, guffaws, and questions something like "Are you f-ing [i']serious[/i]?"

Hey if you like it, cool.

Personal tastes are just that.

I'll just stop here, quit while I'm ahead so to speak......

:-)

Sorry' date=' kid... Their other stuff might have been ok (that was a long long time ago).. But that version sticks out.. The Bass player's solo was better than the lead.. [/quote'] +1 If you really listen The Bass caries the band.

Canyons Of Your Mind-The Bonzo Dog Band. The worst guitar solo ever.

Craig

One of the great things about this forum is the reminders of things I've forgotten. That is one of them and you are right on. I was almost hearing it when I was thinking of bad soloes but the whole image did not emerge. Again, thanks.

guitar solo in Cinnamon Girl is that it's a common note in the chord changes going on behind the solo

Yeah' date=' I hear ya.

Don't get me totally wrong, I just can't help but think with the right guitarist, what a perfect song

"Keep on Rocking in the Free World" could be.

I'll match you and raise you 5 cover bands.

The band I play with does a great version of it, though they rarely play it any more.

It's even on one of the albums they put together and it is probably better that the original in many regards.

I've heard other cover bands do it and make it smoke!

Mrs. Neo and I were talking about song structure the other evening after hearing a Scorpions tune on the radio.

No One Like You, the song opens with mighty riffs and some great solo work, then slows town to begin properly.

"Wow, they don't waste any time to start rocking, do they? Ya know, I always liked that song...." she said.

I always thought that was a great example of doing it wrong the right way.

Same as the bridge in any of the old Tom Petty songs, very pronounced change that climaxes in - nothing.

Genius.

Archived