Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio ... or not??!!

Father D

Hey all... My first reply to the site. I actually still own a SG Firebrand and would not part with it at all. Mine actually has some memory to it haha... When I was still in highschool (1980 sophomore year) I was kicking with the best of them. When I entered a contest at a local music store in the St Louis area. A radio station was promotional for AC/DC (Back in Black tour - Same year their lead singer Bon Scott died) where the winner would meet Angus and Malcom and be given an SG. Well I was the lucky winner and ended up getting a brand new SG firebrand guitar. Ended up the boys got detained and they never made it to the radio station :( it was a good time and a bad time for me lol... But I got to keep the guitar and $500.00 for buying a new amp to go with the guitar.

As I said I still have it and it made it thru a lot of band gigs. Went thru a house fire and burned up the case but not the guitar. The electronic switch is sticking after 29 years but it still is a straight as an arrow. Mine looks just like that one picture ad with the bridge pickup 1/2 creme / black and neck pickup black with the Gibson branded on the headstock and SG Firebrand on truss rod plate.

Still has all the original hardware. In fact I never did anything to the hardware at all. Has been out of a case since the house fire which I should probably buy me a new case for it. But even if it would warp all to hell I would hang it on my wall for a trophy of my young live "ALMOST" getting to meet Angus and Malcom haha but it was all worth it because I was very popular until I graduated :-k

Take care all

195x's 12 string electric ES335 (Jap made have not idea what haha)

Les Paul Studio - Black Beauty

Fender Lead I - Red

Fender Strat - Black

Custom made Carvin (Dual wammy trem system - stereo output) Gold / Black

BC Rich Warlock - Black

Gibson ES335 Wine

Gibson SG Firebrand

Ibanez acoustic - Curly

Ibanez bass - Red

Rickenbacker 4001 bass - White

(Most early 80's - Was my hayday you know haha)

LOL check this out!!!

My Firebrand was # 83 in production haha .. Just checked the serial # over at:

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Nashville Plant, TN, USA

June 27th, 1980

Production Number: 83

Gibson: Nashville

Gibson’s Nashville plant was opened in Tennessee 1974. All electric models and some acoustic models currently made at this factory. This facility has an average production rate of 220 guitars a day. Each guitar is built by hand and takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete. Note: Most hollow and semi-hallow body guitars are made at a separate plant in Memphis Tennessee. This facility has an average production rate of 40 guitars a day.

Archived