Gibson Brands Forums

The tone knobs go to "10"!

Witmer

I finally got a couple of hours to really mess around with the tone controls of the guitar itself, and I have to say that I'm really surprised and pleased by the difference between both tone knobs on 7, and both on 10. Much more cutting, rock-ready sound! I'll still use my old settings for sweet, round clean sounds, but wow... thanks for the suggestions that I revisit this.

Disclaimer: I started playing electric guitar as an adult, so I know I'm way behind the curve, here...

What are you saying ' date=' you like it full on or at 7 ?[/quote']

All tone at 7 is warmer and rounder, but tones full-on give the more aggressive, cutting sound I was looking for. In fact, I'm now rolling the bridge volume back to 5, since having all knobs on 10 seems to sound the same as having the selector switch set to the bridge position. This is weird to me, as is the fact that with the bridge pickup set to 5, the neck pickup is noticeably quieter when selected by itself.

But anyway, I now know how to find almost twice as many shades of tone, just by tweaking the controls on the guitar. Nice!

Both of my tone knobs are on 7 as well. Any higher the bridge pickup sounds shrill.

What kind of LP do you have? (Or is it more relevant to ask about the pickups?)

Either way, that's an interesting observation. I wouldn't call my new sound "shrill," but it does satisfy my wish for a thinner, more cutting sound - thereby assuaging somewhat my GAS for a Tele...

What kind of LP do you have? (Or is it more relevant to ask about the pickups?)

Either way' date=' that's an interesting observation. I wouldn't call my new sound "shrill," but it does satisfy my wish for a thinner, more cutting sound - thereby assuaging somewhat my GAS for a Tele...[/quote']

I have 82 Les Paul Standard with Tim Shaw pickups. I also have 500K Audio Pots and two .022 PIO cap.

Hey, FWIW, based on spending a lot of time playing two particular LPs and getting to know them pretty well-

- one a '97 with P-90 single-coils and the other a '96 with humbuckers, both guitars strung with pure/solid nickel DR "Pure Blues" in 11s, tuned to A=440 -

-I found that there is a "sweet-spot" just below "7" on their tone-controls; if I strike a high harmonic and listen closely as I carefully, slowly sweep the tone-knob back and forth, I hear a sort of a drastic drop-off right about 6.85 or so (estimating here), a notably abrupt roll-off of treble there.

So, for the bridge pickup on either guitar (P-90 AND humbucker), I usually preferred to have the tone-knob set just barely above that point, on the brighter side of that drop-off point. I usually left the neck-pickups tone-knob all the way up, though.

For the bridge-pickup of either guitar, this doesn't seem to be so much a darkening treble roll-off, as it does a subtle tweak of the upper midrange character; I really, really like how it sounds for clean and clean-ish touchy-feely mildly overdriven tones, and cranked reverb often seems just a little warmer and less strident. It doesn't have quite as much of an effect on gainier overdrive and distortion, though, some but not as much.

On either guitar, any pickup selection, I'm constantly adjusting the volume-controls to tweak the interaction between the guitar and any pedals, amps, etc., as well as blending the two pickups.

...having a pretty lady in my life without all the @%$#! drama of the dating scene, for one... having little girls scream and dance around the room when I play the rock 'n roll, for another...

Yes I use Pure Nickle Strings it's still is bright and shrill when you have the tone knob at 10 that's why I set mine at 7 sometimes I got down to 5.

Actually I use a combo of GHS Strings of Boomer RPS Tremolo and GHS Burnished Nickle (which from what read is great for benders)

Archived