Gibson Brands Forums

The bevels on a batwing pickgaurd'd guitar

SG dude

Right, i noticed something, on a '61 Re-issue SG, the beveles are awesome! (sure all the ones ive seen were custom shop models but anyway) and the guitars with the batwing pickguard just dont have bevels like the '61's! But im afraid i just don't like the small pickgaurd, at all ( yeah, im sorry) but I LLLOOOVVEEE bevels. i wanna know why the batwing pickguard'd guitars dont have really big deep bevels?? is it just because of the shape of the pickguard?

If they were going to pin the blame on the pickguard shape I decided that when I had lotsa free time and I'd trace out the outline of the SG standard on the gibson website to make a few alterations. I eventually did and i drew in really nice looking bevels and tapers, like the ones on the '61 SG's and it looked fantastic, i mean holyshit! if i had the money (and gibson actually made custom order guitars) this is what i would get! seriously it looks awesome, if you guys have time, or are computer wizzes then give it a go, you'll be suprised, or just imagine. i would be reeeaallyy happy if i could only have two guitars, and this was one of them (i may be over reacting but hey) but seriously,

why have the Standards bevels never been so..um.. AWESOME!?!

I've wondered that, too....I had a '68 "batwing" SG Standard, that DID have deep beveling. (I should NEVER have sold it...but, that's another story!)

Gibson "Beveling" and the scarfing inside the horns, has been pretty sad, since at least '68...IMHO. The older original SG's were so much nicer, that way,

and more comfortable, as well as looking fantastic. What Gibson puts out, as "Custom Shop" or "VOS," specs (except the puny colors)...SHOULD be the

"Norm!" Again...IMHO!

CB

This Historics' beveling would be perfect if it was a tad sharper of an angle, and of course if they'd fix the damned horn-tip tapering (they should come to significantly thinner ends a la 1999-present USA '61 Reissue, ALONG WITH the deep bevels) and offer a REAL cherry finish instead of that godawful faded mess, they'd have a great reissue that'd be hard to improve.

But yes, some late-60's ones DID have deep bevels and tapered tips, but they weren't quite as dramatic as on say, a '64 or '65. Note that you also can find the occasional early-to-mid-60's one that's slabby and lacking any real shaping. Just depends on who worked on them that day during production. Unlike today, where most of that sculpting is done by a machine that needs some tweaking to make 'em more "authentic" (I HATE false-advertising...lol).

I've always thought they should put the '61 Reissue's style beveling on all the SG models, because it would look nice on all of them, regardless of pickguard version.

That and cherry should mean red, NOT pink, orange or brown. Right?

H-Bomb

I've always thought they should put the '61 Reissue's style beveling on all the SG models' date=' because it would look nice on all of them, regardless of pickguard version.

That and cherry should mean red, NOT pink, orange or brown. Right?

H-Bomb[/quote']

Yep.

:-k

You'd think' date=' as often as this comes up, they'd DO something about it?! In the regular production line, that is. But, I suppose

they want you to have to PAY EXTRA, for it to be done RIGHT! (Cynic, that I am!) ;>b

CB[/quote']

I dont care if you're a cynic.... as long as you're right.

You'd think' date=' as often as this comes up, they'd DO something about it?! In the regular production line, that is. But, I suppose

they want you to have to PAY EXTRA, for it to be done RIGHT! (Cynic, that I am!) ;>b

CB[/quote']

Ya know?

I'm on the same page. Then a young guy like Das44 comes in "searching for knowledge". Hell CB, your EPI is a pretty good example.

I do agree, as a business decision, they could tweak a few knobs, change the paint and re-invent the SG.

I don't get it either.

Ya know?

I'm on the same page. Then a young guy like Das44 comes in "searching for knowledge". Hell CB' date=' your EPI is a pretty good example.

I do agree, as a business decision, they could tweak a few knobs, change the paint and re-invent the SG.

I don't get it either.

[/quote']

Let him have his Knowledge, who knows he might turn into a famous guitarist. Teach him and you will be rewared someway.

no a firebird and those links.... did you really need me to tell you that?

You still don't get it. LOL slow are we. Without the and in your statement it infers the Firebird. Know did I really have to tell you that.

I guess I did.

CW

Archived