Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Removes Hendrix Content from Website

Mr. Robot

I have been away, so you guys may already have noticed this (apologies if it has already been covered, I searched but i could not find it), but it seems that the Hendrix guitar launched by Gibson last week has totally disappeared from the website.

Check out this news article. Maybe as one of you guys predicted, someone got the chop over this rediculous initiative?

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/gibson-removes-hendrix-content-from-official-website-221575

Maybe there working on the Hendricks Dark-fire Robot Strat. It looks like a Strat but can tune itself and then when you throw it down on stage it bursts into flame without the lighter fluid?

Hopefully the light went on and there all in a warehouse with the reverse V and all the holey guitars from last year.

:-

Gibson already had a guitar that looked like a Fender. Why don't they just have a come back with it. But instead of haveing the plywood, have real wood, or just a remake? I get a lot of comments when people see my KG-2. How they wish Gibson would put a remake out . Just my 2 Cents.

Oh. and as thanks for this Idea. They can send me one of those Hendrix guitars.#-o

11.jpg

14.jpg

I bet you any money that Gibson will slap a cease and desist on that website. Someone has lost his job over this one. DESERVEDLY SO!!!!

However, the actual strat type guitar I think will be on general sale, but NOT with Hendrix on it, that was just a STUPID idea and asking for trouble. Hey it probably will turn out to be a good guitar but Gibson are gonna have to do some serious re-marketing strategy over this.

Let's face it, Gibson do NOT make bad guitars, but somtimes like all companies VERY bad idea's, hey we all do. Personally I would like to see how the higher end manufactured one turns out. The kiddie kits should be destroyed and buried in a landfill on mars.

My two pennies ;-)

I honestly don't mind the strat design or even the tie in with Jimi, what really bugs me is Gibson going into the First Act line of guitar even if they need/want to tap into this entry level to make money that's what Epi is for don't make crap and put the Gibson name on it. I mean Ferrari might end up producing a Prius if that's what the market demands but I doubt if it will be badged as a Ferrari.

If they made a high end custom shop Fenderesque style I would most likely buy one (like the Epi Wilshire) but a piece of crapola with Gibson and Jimi's name on it is just wrong.

What was the controversy?

Trademark infringement with Femder?

Trademark infringement with the Hendrix estate?

The fact that the posthumous endorser was a burned out pot head?

Was this a premium guit tar or a kid's starter guit tar?

Maybe there working on the Hendricks Dark-fire Robot Strat. It looks like a Strat but can tune itself and then when you throw it down on stage it bursts into flame without the lighter fluid?

Hopefully the light went on and there all in a warehouse with the reverse V and all the holey guitars from last year.

Lol. So they completely canned the idea, or they just took it off the website? I appreciate the fact that Gibson is trying to create new and different guitars instead of putting a bunch of crap on a LP and calling it something different.

Why don't they just reissue the Flying V they did a few years back? They only wanted 53,000,000,000,000,bucks for the frikkin' thing, and it was a copy. (The dollar amount was a slight exaggeration)

no the problem is:

It was a disgrace to his name!

Now dudes, let us not cause an argument over this. 2 personal comments are in your minds both correct. However I see that as a personal view which is fine.

From a business point of view it was a disaster just itching to come crashing down.

Hendrix was great to some and not for others. FINE. The problem the WORLD has is Gibson tried to take over the Hendrix brand when it always has been of the Fender / Marshall namespace.

Guys, imagine Fender making an LP with Pauls name all over it that said "sig". It was a PR disaster from the start.

As I said, I hope the real guitar comes out and does well, whether it will do so I think Gibson need to do one hell of a PR explaination and step back. If the guitar does go into production I think the selling repoint could take a few years.

You see where I am coming from right?

Now dudes' date=' let us not cause an argument over this. 2 personal comments are in your minds both correct. However I see that as a personal view which is fine.

From a business point of view it was a disaster just itching to come crashing down.

Hendrix was great to some and not for others. FINE. The problem the WORLD has is Gibson tried to take over the Hendrix brand when it always has been of the Fender / Marshall namespace.

Guys, imagine Fender making a LP with Pauls name all over it that said "sig". It was a PR disaster from the start.

As I said, I hope the real guitar comes out and does well, whether it will do so I think Gibson need to do one hell of a PR explaination and step back. If the guitar does gp into production I think the selling repoint could take a few years.

You see where I am coming from right?[/quote']

Chris, you simply nailed it. Very, very bad decision on Gibson's part. I can't imagine what was going through their minds, it kind of muddied the Gibson name.

The VERY sad thing Bill? BIG TIME Money, not normal business type sales, BIG MONEY. The guy who thought this up must have been fired by now because Gibson, indeed as you said, have be SEVERLY hurt by this, greed mate. Not greed by Gibson, that is not the way this works, but the team who bought this idea on board will not work in the guitar industry again in my opinion.

I love smaller companies because of this sort of stuff yanno?

Archived