Gibson Brands Forums

ABR Bridge question

daveinspain

Quick question.... On an ABR bridge there is that little wire that runs across the top of all the saddle screws, is that reallt necesary? Don't the strings hold down the saddles well enough? I suspect that wire is giving me a little buzz on one of my guitars, it looks like it comes up to close to the strings... The neck relief is good, the action high enough not to get buzz but I get a little buzz in the first position open chords. Any ideas what else it might be?

Don't the strings hold down the saddles well enough?

And what happens when you break a string?

Now, you're searching the floor for a part of your guitar.

The fix is to just push down on the wire with a flat head screwdriver between each screw. Don't apply too much pressure. Otherwise, once intonated, some people remove the wire and put a drop of nail polish remover on each screw. Once it dries, it keeps the screw in place.

I tried several different fixes for my SG Junior including bending the wire but, in the end, I found a guy who took a Nashville bridge and stuck some brass reducers inside of it so it would sit properly on the existing posts. I can't stand those ABR bridges because of the buzzing.

If you're interested in the same fix, it was this guy Greg at Classic Ax who Gibson recommended to me:

http://www.classicax.com/

I tried several different fixes for my SG Junior including bending the wire but' date=' in the end, I found a guy who took a Nashville bridge and stuck some brass reducers inside of it so it would sit properly on the existing posts. I can't stand those ABR bridges because of the buzzing.

If you're interested in the same fix, it was this guy Greg at Classic Ax who Gibson recommended to me:

http://www.classicax.com/[/quote']

Thanks, I'll have a look...

And what happens when you break a string?

Now' date=' you're searching the floor for a part of your guitar.

The fix is to just push down on the wire with a flat head screwdriver between each screw. Don't apply too much pressure. Otherwise, once intonated, some people remove the wire and put a drop of nail polish remover on each screw. Once it dries, it keeps the screw in place.[/quote']

Thanks, never thought of that....

Archived