Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Neck/Headstock SG/LP Custom

Fotodog

I have 15 guitars. I decided to open the case of my sg three single coil guitar to have a play, and i noticed the strings were off the board and slack. I then tried to get the strings back on, and thats when i noticed that the headstock was sheared off. After reading this post i will never buy an sg again. I have a 61 reissue and now i live in fear that this will one day break with no warnig. I'll just stick to fenders or maple necked guitars. What a drag.

I had an early 70's Les Paul that experienced the same fate. My case was due to the guitar sitting on the stand and the whole stand tipped over. My other guitars now never get placed in stands.

I bought a Traditional a month or so ago and literally woke up sick from a nightmare of it having a broken neck. Woke up and rushed over to my case to see and it was just a bad dream #-o

Yea I know how sick you feel.........

what a common gibsons neck issue!
No, what a common Gibson SG neck issue. This is one of the main reasons Les Paul didn't like the SG, because "the neck was too skinny and I didn't like the way it joind the body; there wasn't enough wood". I like the SG, but this an all too common problem, and you'd think Gibson would have figured out a way to fix it by now!

I feel your pain , you pay big bucks for a top of the line guitar and it craps out ...

and Gibson doesn't even have the courtesy to reply to your e-mails ... talk about customer service !

That would be enough to piss anyone off enough to never buy from them again.

Jeez if that ever happened to me I don't know what I'd do ...

I'd lose it for sure !

I'd drive down to where ever they build them , kick down the door ,

grab the Pres by his cheap, crappy yellow tie , pull him real close to me and say :

You can take a long, hard, suck on my arse !

No' date=' what a common Gibson SG neck issue. This is one of the main reasons Les Paul didn't like the SG, because "the neck was too skinny and I didn't like the way it joind the body; there wasn't enough wood". I like the SG, but this an all too common problem, and you'd think Gibson would have figured out a way to fix it by now!

[/quote']

true maybe more so an issue with the SG, but i've seen and heard of MANY Les Pauls the have suffered the same fate (including my 70's Les Paul Standard) I guess it would be more likely on a LP with the 60's profile neck, but have seen and heard of headstock breaks with 50's profile necks as well.

In all the cases i've heard of the break was a result of a drop or stand nocked over, etc

BUT

It is not totally out of the possibility of reason to find one that broke due to plain and simple defective/cracked neck from the factory. When I read this I knew he'd have hell with ever getting Gibson to do anything about it and that's BS! You pay that kind of money for AMERICAN made quality and then you get one with less build quality than a cheap Epi! Of course I see no way of ever proving the break was not an accident and rather by a defective build. Those headstocks can break from drops/stand tipping over and the sheer pressure of the fall matched with pull/tension from the strings can cause the Hd STK to break exactly like the pictures and never leave one mark, flaw, or imperfection in the finish anywhere showing damage from a fall. Gibson knows this and I doubt they'll take everyones word that it was a factory defect and not in the catagory of misuse/neglect.

If indeed it was due to a factory defect, that's unacceptable. We pay enough money for these instruments to expect the highest standards. There are ways to check for cracks before it leaves the factory or before it's put together. I've seen the QC go down in Gibson yet the prices seem to keep going up (I had to tighten each tuning key mounting screws 2- 2 1/2 full turns on my Traditional I just got along with other things you should never have to do on a new Gibson guitar) I haven't got to the point to where I say F@*k Gibson yet but if the trend stays as it is going I can't promise that in the future and don't blame anyone with this problem to either.

This was no drop!! The guitar was not dropped or even knocked this happened literally as the guitar was being sound checked and fine tuned. I don't mind admitting i dropped it if i did i mean this would be my mistake. But no way.

I cannot take a closer picture of the headstock as it is being repaired but there are absolutely no marks on the headstock back or front which could suggest it was dropped. The crack this made when the strings collapsed was quite loud.

Yayroc,

I'm sure that 80LPC is just saying that it looks like it was dropped, doesn't me that you dropped it.... It was in the store before you got it, in transit between the factory and your store, and it could have even fallen in the factory. Who knows?

Sorry about your loss. Hope that you get it worked out at a fair price.

Just a little thought about broken necks.

I got so used to my SG's head dropping between songs that I just ease 'er down, head first, or hook my arm in a bevel and hold her straight up so she doesn't nose dive uncontroably.

Oh yeah.... strap locks are a must BTW...

Archived