Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson CL-30 Deluxe

mooboo

Hey everybody! I just recently got ahold of a 1998 Gibson CL-30. I was wondering if anyone else has this guitar (or one of similar model) and what you all thought about it. I went and played Taylors up to the 400 series and they just didn't hold a candle. From what I can tell the electronics sound really great. What are your alls opinions on these guitars?

3972600375_cbb7c60d5e_b.jpg

3973367618_780b71582b_b.jpg

3972598769_82cc60caa9_b.jpg

3972597851_ea0d05b75d_b.jpg

I like the different shaped inlays. I really like yours on this guitar. I play a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe and the inlays are nice but the guitars with birds, flower, snowflakes and other interesting shapes are pretty nice to look at..

Thanks Joe! It def has a unique look from the line of acoustics that are made today. It seems like the construction will allow it to last and hopefully I can pass it down to a son. I have played multiple Taylors and it just didn't compare to this Gibson!

Some time ago I researched this model. I can't recall for sure, but I'm pretty sure the CL-30 was an early predecessor model to what eventually may have morphed into being the Songwriter/Songwriter Deluxe later on. CL stood for Custom Line I believe. There was a CL-10, CL-20, CL-30, and a cutaway model that was a CL-35. The CL-30 was also known as a Songbird Deluxe as was the CL-35. The CL-10 and 20 didn't carry the Songbird name. There was also a CL-40 that was known as CL-40 Artist or Dove Artist as well as a CL-50 Supreme. The CL guitars were made circa late 90s.

QM

Thanks QM! I did happen to come across some info on the Songwriter guitars because I saw that McBride had one (earlier post). They have the same looking bridge and headstock (save the roset inlay). It seems totally plausible that Gibson would have dropped the oddities of the CL-30 (roset inlay, bubinga wood, amber top) for more common/modern features like that songwriter has (trap inlays, rosewood, standard sitka). Both are beautiful guitars and I really feel like I now have a guitar that plays for me. I have had a few plays with other acoustics (Alvarez, Taylor 314/414/416) but I always felt that if I owned them I wouldn't totally be satisfied. From the first note that I played with the CL I knew that it was... me! Just wish there was more talk about them! [-(

Now that you have pointed out all of the similarities, I have compared this guitar to my songwriter Deluxe and I now understand why I liked this one so much. I hope this sounds and plays as nice as my Songwriter, if it does you will never want to part with it.

Now that you have pointed out all of the similarities' date=' I have compared this guitar to my songwriter Deluxe and I now understand why I liked this one so much. I hope this sounds and plays as nice as my Songwriter, if it does you will never want to part with it.[/quote']

From what I have heard they play pretty much the exact same. The solid Bubinga sides on my guitar, I've been told, is a close wood to the solid rosewood on yours. The only difference I'm sure there is lies in the pickup system but I run mine through a good PA and it sounds great. Personally I love these guitars and I think that they emphasize an overall Gibson heritage with a unique style to their own.

I have a Dove Artist and I absolutely love it... it's my go-to most of the time. Easy to play' date=' loud and fantastic tone. I think these guitars are some of the best Gibson makes![/quote']

The Gibson Dove used to be my DREAM guitar! However, after seeing the advanced jumbos, doves, and hummingbirds I found out the bigness of their body was just not for me. Then I fell in love with the smaller dread. Amazing guitars, both of them!!

I have a Dove Artist and I absolutely love it... it's my go-to most of the time. Easy to play' date=' loud and fantastic tone. I think these guitars are some of the best Gibson makes![/quote']

Do you have a pic ? I'm not familiar with this one either!!

#-o

Do you have a pic ? I'm not familiar with this one either!!

](*

[/quote']

Not great pics, but you get the general idea... I added the Waverly tuning machines, an ebony truss rod cover, an elephant ivory saddle and bone bridge pins... it also has a Baggs M1A now instead of the Element... I take it out when not plugging in.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

Archived