Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson CL-30 Deluxe

mooboo

Hey everybody! I just recently got ahold of a 1998 Gibson CL-30. I was wondering if anyone else has this guitar (or one of similar model) and what you all thought about it. I went and played Taylors up to the 400 series and they just didn't hold a candle. From what I can tell the electronics sound really great. What are your alls opinions on these guitars?

3972600375_cbb7c60d5e_b.jpg

3973367618_780b71582b_b.jpg

3972598769_82cc60caa9_b.jpg

3972597851_ea0d05b75d_b.jpg

I have that guitar. Actually I had two of those guitars. The story behind them is this. I was living in Santa Fe in 1998 and purchased this model, the CL-30, only a custom lefty. Made by Gibson from the Boseman, Montana plant. Within three months of owning it, someone broke into our house and it was gone- have not seen it since. Luckily for me, I managed to re-order the same model and six months later I had its sister. At the time I was playing acoustic and singing lead vocals in a band. I still have the second CL-30. The pick up inside is phenomenal, I play out of a small Marshall amp.

However, and you know how sentimental the memory can be sometimes, I still have pangs knowing that the first one might have sounded a bit better than the second. The other thing I remember about the differences in the pair was that the first guitar's case interior was purple. The second one, the one that I have, is a dark blue, similar to your picture.

So as an official post to all ears and Gibson hearts, I still have the serial number and purchase receipts of the first one so if anyone out there ever finds a very sweet Gibson CL-30 lefty in a purple interior case let me know. It also had a distinctive knot curl up by the gibson name.

By the way, very good guitar model- it reminds me of the hummingbird in sound and quality.

• 6 years later...

I've seen some people post, one after hearing from Gibson, some had a laminated arch back (and did not have the extra bracing visible through the sound hole) while others CL-30s were solid (babinga). I should probably find that thread to put this to rest.

Archived