Gibson Brands Forums

The truth about the 1st Run Robot, best guitar Gibson has built since the 59 Burst...

daveinspain

Take note disbelievers, here is the thing... I can play my Robot unplugged and it sounds great. It rings out loud and clear and resonates through the whole body. The only other LP that I have that does that is my black custom, which I love but it weighs a ton. The first edition Robots are really well made. The ebony finger board is wonderful and the binding a classy touch... The roller saddles are a major improvement for tone and sustain. The Robot has so many things going for it. I don't know how the subsequent Robots are but my first addition is my go to guitar. It's weight, feel and tone make it a pleasure to pick up. By the way, it tunes itself and can go to alternate tunings if you want it to.

I thought this was the lounge? We turning it into the Robot forum? lol

best guitar Gibson has built since the 59 Burst...

Come one now, it's just a Studio that tunes itself. Studios have been coming with ebony boards for years.

I can play my Robot unplugged and it sounds great.

Why would you buy a guitar if it didn't? I can say that about all my guitars.

It rings out loud and clear and resonates through the whole body.

That's because it's chambered. Gibson claims chambered LPs resonate up to 30% more than swiss cheesed ones.

I see your points Tim, but even if the Robot was just a Studio with Robot tuners; a Standard for years was just a Studio with a bound body. Gibson has marketed products for decades with completely different titles just based on the most minor of differences in specifications.

Here are the unique features of the Robot first edition...

The first run Robots are cosmetically unique as the neck and headstock is bound like a Custom, yet the logo underneath the Gibson is different to the Studio, Standard and Custom .The choice of pick ups is shared with the Custom and the Studio, while the ebony fret board is commonly shared with a Custom (and ltd edition Studios). The locking tuners meanwhile are very similar to the 2008 Standard. Uniquely the Robot has used Fret wire. (I am not sure the history of this but I know it is not a regular feature, and it makes playability very nice!)

Did I mention the colour too, sorry just kidding with this one, but it will never be repeated.

In short the GOR (I haven't played the Ltd editions or regular Robot Studios) is not just a Studio with tuners.

Tim, music is my life and I am only passionate about things that I have really, really tried and tested...trust me it is not a regular studio in sound or look..or gadgetry =P~

like Jocko said I believe when something is new, as a consumer (like with this) you often get a superior product as the product is on show to the world as flag ship.

Matt

I thought this was the lounge? We turning it into the Robot forum? lol

Yes it's the lounge and we are actually talking about guitars.... Debating their worth and exchanging opinions and ideas' date=' how cool is that...!!??

Come one now' date=' it's just a Studio that tunes itself. Studios have been coming with ebony boards for years.[/quote']

What Sear said...

That's because it's chambered. Gibson claims chambered LPs resonate up to 30% more than swiss cheesed ones.

There you go...

I get that a lot of people can tune themselves by ear in 20 seconds or less... but a lot of people, like me, can't. That's why I use a tuner.

I also kind of get why people in the first group would roll their eyes and say "I don't need that"... but in a live situation, the less time tuning, the better, right? That's why the big acts have guitar techs - you don't see even the great musicians stopping to tune anymore. They just change guitars. So if a working musician can strum the guitar twice and have it in tune, it makes a lot of sense to me. I DON'T get why robot owners are made to feel like they have to apologize for the tuning capability.

Now, do I own a robot? No, and I probably won't... because I don't get to spend as much time as I want with the LP I already have. But if I was buying my first LP today, at current robot prices? I'm thinking I probably would.

The prices of the SG robot are less than a grand brand new right now. It would be worth a look at that price.

Everyone tunes to THEIR ear. I doubt anyone can get it pitch perfect. Anyone listen to Get your Ya Ya's out ? That whole tour was out of tune.

I thought the main reason people buy guitars is to PLAY them, not to tune them. So let them play.

Highwaynine is right to wonder why robot owners would be slagged.

Stay strong robot owners, stay strong....

I have always had no problem tunning my guitars, but I've always had a slight problem singing, kinda straining to hit the note. Since I bought the Robot SG with the tunning feature. I found I sing in A . Just messing around with the multi tunning feature on the guitar. So now with the songs I was straining with before. Tunning it to A I can hit those notes I was straining with before and I sound Gooood. My wife who sits in the next room listening had to come in and comment What was I doing different? Shes been listening to these same songs for 30 years, But now DANG. That is a complement from her being a music buff. So now I have to buy a tunner so I can tune all my guitars in A for my new CD. LOVE my Robot SG. With out it I would have never Knowen. PLUS I just love The Cherry Color, I look realy good with this guitar on.

Archived