Gibson Brands Forums

I need some advice

NeoLibMan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, before this thread derails.......

If you're serious about becoming a No-Nonsense Guitarist, buy a Good but not Great, Starter Kit (Epi Les Paul, Fender Strat [not Squier]), and get yourself a Crappy Acoustic with extremely high action.

Learn on that Acoustic and switch to the electric. The difficulty you have playing the Crappy Acoustic will translate into Powerful Finger Muscles. It's the Boot Camp approach.

Look at it like hiking. If you get yourself the lightest weight back pack and best hiking boots in Big5, you'll discover that Back Packs are heavy and hiking makes your feet hurt. Doesn't matter how good your stuff is. However, get yourself some Surplus Boots and an Alice Pack, you can find out that Back Packs are heavy and hiking hurts your feet for a lot cheaper. If you still like the activity, get yourself the Best Big5 stuff, and you'll appreciate how much less your feet hurt, and how much Lighter (not light) your better back pack is.

Wait' date=' before this thread derails.......

If you're serious about becoming a No-Nonsense Guitarist, buy a Good but not Great, Starter Kit (Epi Les Paul, Fender Strat [not Squier']), and get yourself a Crappy Acoustic with extremely high action.

Learn on that Acoustic and switch to the electric. The difficulty you have playing the Crappy Acoustic will translate into Powerful Finger Muscles. It's the Boot Camp approach.

Look at it like hiking. If you get yourself the lightest weight back pack and best hiking boots in Big5, you'll discover that Back Packs are heavy and hiking makes your feet hurt. Doesn't matter how good your stuff is. However, get yourself some Surplus Boots and an Alice Pack, you can find out that Back Packs are heavy and hiking hurts your feet for a lot cheaper. If you still like the activity, get yourself the Best Big5 stuff, and you'll appreciate how much less your feet hurt, and how much Lighter (not light) your better back pack is.

This is good advice

Matt

Yeah' date=' the thread opens with the statement that he needs advice.

I've given him LOTS of advice and he never listened.

Even told him to take a hike, curiously enough...

:D/ [/quote']

Did he take the hike. And if so, did he get his stuff Surplus, or from Big 5?

:-k :D

Learn on that Acoustic and switch to the electric. The difficulty you have playing the Crappy Acoustic will translate into Powerful Finger Muscles.

+ many

Some of the truest words ever spoken here. =D>

But I call it swinging a heavy bat. (That's a little simpler than the lengthy boot camp analogy I think).

Lotsa merit to that.

The only constant guitar companion I had for the first 15 years was an old Conn acoustic.

Cheapo electrics came and went while the acoustic lived at the end of the couch.

It met an untimely demise due to the housekeeping/decorating habits of my first wife.

She survived, but moved out of state.

Do you guys like Gospel music. I also like some Christian Rock, but I admit I don't know many of the artists. When I get my guitar I hope I can play some of that stuff.

You know what. I forgot to ask about amplifiers. What's a good low priced one?

Archived