Gibson Brands Forums

I need some advice

NeoLibMan

Short for Motor City - Detroit Michigan.

Ted Nugent' date=' Bob Seger, Mitch Ryder, Jack White, etc.

[-( [/quote']

close...... but a bit off, Motown does refer to Detroit, but was a term coined for the music of the 50s and 60s, and then carried on by the artist that represented the Motown Label that followed. it started as motortown, and was later shortened to Motown

it started with artists like Smokey Robinson, The Four Tops, Diana Ross, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Jackson 5 etc.

that is Motown music, motorcity rock was what was to follow with Seger and The Nuge hence the Motorcity mad man

sorry im a big Motown fan haha

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ohh! haha im not familier with the world of "smileys" im just kinda starting to get the multiple meanings behind them! haha

my appoligies!

i think us MI are just ingrained with Motown in our DNA! haha

i grew up an 80s rocker, but i couldnt deny Motown when my grandma introduced me

the old Hitsville USA and studio A still stands today its the Motown Historical Museum and it is certainly a beautiful piece of history!

Do you guys like Gospel music. I also like some Christian Rock' date=' but I admit I don't know many of the artists. When I get my guitar I hope I can play some of that stuff.

You know what. I forgot to ask about amplifiers. What's a good low priced one? [/quote']

I love my Laney VC-15. It is all valve and has a Jenson speaker. It was around $600 but well worth it if you like real authentic Page, Clapton late 60's tones.

Stick a Les Paul and a GE7 in it and you are in Randy Rhoads territory!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laney-VC15110-15W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481338

I think it is discontinued now though.

hmmm,

Even as Christian, Christian rock/pop is not my things a tall. I do love Christian music in the sense of Bach's St Matthew's Passion or Mozart's Requiem but Christianity in pop makes me wince a little.

Matt

close...... but a bit off' date=' Motown does refer to Detroit, but was a term coined for the music of the 50s and 60s, and then carried on by the artist that represented the Motown Label that followed. it started as motortown, and was later shortened to Motown

it started with artists like Smokey Robinson, The Four Tops, Diana Ross, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Jackson 5 etc.

that is Motown music, motorcity rock was what was to follow with Seger and The Nuge hence the Motorcity mad man

sorry im a big Motown fan haha[/quote']

Thanks for that!!!

I notice something from the artists you posted, it's not like it's a well defined genre with all artists sounding "the same" (please correct me if Im wrong) so, how would I know if what Im listening is considered motown? Or is it more like what they call "indie" today, not a genre at all but the way the music's made (to put it in a simple short way).

Archived