Gibson Brands Forums

Schaller strap lock installation for SG's.

NeoConMan

Here's a couple of pics to clarify any misconceptions about my Schaller installation method.

No patent applied for, feel free to copy this all you want to.

I consider this a labor of love, helping those who love their guitars as much as I do...

:-)

You've surely heard me tell you to throw away the screws that come with the Schallers.

If they so happen to match the screws that are in the guitar, then it doesn't matter.

This has never occurred for me, and I refuse to cross-thread a different screw in the body and damage threads.

Either use the Gibson screws that came in the guitar, or go to the hardware store to buy exact replacements.

Length and diameter of the screw is not the main consideration - make sure the thread pitch/count is the same.

When I buy screws for anything, I get stainless when I can - never rust.

First off, go to Home Depot or any other hardware store and getcha some of these;

Danco faucet washers made of buna rubber, will NOT harm the finish.

(Not in the last 6 years anyway....)

You can see the finished result in the background.

3930550314_747916116a.jpg

Here's the Schaller pin after being drilled out so the original Gibson screw will slide through.

The hole needs to be drilled out to 11/64" or 4 mm.

3929764535_85143b8954.jpg

Here's the bottom view of the Schaller pin after drilling.

Note also the side of the screw head has been ground down slightly.

This is not needed on all Gibson screws, if it will slide inside the new pin then you're good.

On a Les Paul the screw for the bottom end pin is bigger than the one on the upper bout by the neck.

3929765973_0edf976d79.jpg

Here's the finished assembly before tightening.

The difference you should see here is how much deeper the factory screw will drop down inside the pin.

Without the rubber washer for a spacer, the screw would penetrate further than it does on the factory pin.

3929767451_a678844a29.jpg

This additional penetration depth would not be an issue in this application.

Anywhere space is limited could cause a problem though.

Installation on the back of guitars such as my SG and ES-335 would make me nervous because there's not much room to spare. Hate to punch through something or split wood that was not pre-drilled deep enough.

You MUST use a washer or spacer of some sort!

Tightening is easier now, you know when to stop.

Go until you feel resistance as the washer compresses, and observe that it begins to bulge slightly.

These washers are more than firm enough to keep the screw from bending sideways.

The washers also buy you some forgiveness if you drop the guitar on the end pin.

The rubber will absorb some shock from a moderate force without the screw snapping off.

It's tucked up safely inside the pin now, remember?

I've used Shallers on every guitar I've ever owned. Can't say I've gone to all the trouble you have here, but I'm certainlty not being critical, I'm fussy in different ways. My '61 Standard RI accepted them without any hassle at all. On some guitars I've used a type of rawl plug to get a better grip in the wood. Very simple, bust up a wooden toothpick into a bunch of tiny pieces, fill the strap button hole about halfway with them and drip in some quality wood glue. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, then screw in your locks. As you screw them in the screw will mix the wood and the glue, giving the screw fresh wood to bite in to. Wipe off excess glue and let the guitar sit over night for everything to set up and dry. I haven't lost one yet. I would ONLY do this on guitars you intend to keep, however. Or if you trade it off, keep the straplocks with it. Works great and is simple!

NeoConMan, thanks for the info about the washers. That's a great idea. I've been going crazy trying to find tiny circles of felt to put between my strap buttons and my guitars.

I've always used the Dunlop Straplocks, but the general consensus here on the forum that Schallers are better makes me want to change all of mine out...

That's actually pretty cool, with the washers. Never thought of that one. Although I HAVE made some felt washers by cutting slivers off of Dremel polishing pads (they work great too, if you prefer the off-white felt look to black). Just buy a pack of them and take a sharp razor, cut them to your desired thickness. Works great for that purpose. Certainly more useful that way than when I try to use them with the Dremel. :)/

I need to try the plumbing washers though, all my live guitars have Schallers (except one that has Dunlops...for now). I just prefer the Schallers, I dunno' why. They both work alright, but the Schallers just seem more hefty or something. But you're right, the stock screws they come with are crap. Guess I'm going to the Depot later today...lol

H-Bomb

Archived