Gibson Brands Forums

Earthquakes? Sittin' On The New Madrid......

Murph

So I'm looking through the thread and it's turned into an Insult Fest like a tennis match.

Everybody quiet.

:-k

Do the polite golf clap with each point...

:-

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

DAS - Dem00n

:D

Anybody keeping score?

[-(

Much of the history of the New Madrid quake has already been mentioned. When I lived in Memphis it was something to think about and yes, there were a cupla relatively minor quakes while I lived there in the 1980s.

One difference with quakes from that fault and a lot of the more "coastal" faults is the large amount of earth above the fault that can get jiggled into virtual quicksand.

Nice thing about where I live now is that if Jellystone decides to become the huge mega-volcano that it truly is, it likely won't hurt much when it hits. <grin> Then all the rest of you can figure how to survive under the dust of a longtime winter.

m

Not sure what the RIchter scale factor was' date=' they are now using MMS moment of movement scale... whatever that is. The 1811 New Madrid was pegged at 8.2. Not sure where that places it amongst Alaska and Chile, but it was a big-un.

edit

Just did some readin' up on wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth.

* December 16, 1811, 0815 UTC (2:15 a.m.); [b'](MMS=8.2)[/b]

* December 16, 1811, the Daylight Shock, 1415 UTC (8:15 a.m.); (MMS=8.2) Note, this shock followed the first earthquake by six hours.

* January 23, 1812, 1500 UTC (9 a.m.); (MMS=8.1) About 5 weeks later

And those weren't the 'Big 'Un. about 2 weeks later:

* February 7, 1812, 0945 UTC (4:45 a.m.); (MMS=8.3)

Maybe New Madrid is in the running for most big-uns within such a short period of time?

The 1964 "Great Alaskan Earthquake" was 9.2 on the Richter scale. Originally measured at 8.6, but duration elevated to 9.2...

Chile, either the year before or after, the Alaska earthquake (too lazy to look it up) was 9.5...

Archived