Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

How do I do - Fretting question


Recommended Posts

I'm a j45 Mahogany owner, and my sweet Sunburst friend needs a partial refret.

First 3/4 frets are gone away, in fact.


I called Gibson Customer Service, to know the frets type for my guitar and CS Gibson



We use .038” tall by .80” wide on most of our models except the Lennon or 160 which we use .060” tall by .110” wide


well how I do, to obtain that fret type ??


Stewart Mac Donald has a different type on his catalogue.......


help me.................................thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stew-Mac's standard #148 is close enough. It's a tiny bit taller but you want to have that wiggle room for final levelling and crowning.


Hi ksdaddy, thanks,


Do you think that I should order those fretwire at Stewart MacDonald ?

Doesn't Gibson retail original fretwire ?

uhm.......It's strange thing...that......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I buy Stew-Mac #148 by the pound. It's good stuff. All you need is one stick (2 ft) but I don't know what they'd charge you for shipping.


It comes in straight pieces so you will need some way to radius it.


Ok, Ksdaddy,

I'm just thinking about a Plek treatment........

What do you think about that ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know exactly zero about Plek treatments.

not a techy are yeh


neither am I....


All this high tech wizardry like self tuning guitars is cool and all....


I marvel at the surety of self tuning it...... If you fail you wont have to deal with fixin the guitar

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...