Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio

Shade

Hi,

In another thread I read that the tone poti of some older LP models only work like "on/off". I have an ´83 LP Studio Custom, which I bought several years ago. And when I started playing again recently, I recognized that turning the tone knob didn`t seem to have much influence on the sound. I`m not the first owner of the guitar, so I can`t say anything about the history of this guitar. I also didn`t play for a longer time, so it could just be the guitar has to be checked...

Does anybody know, if the tone poti in these models only work like "on/off" or if turning them should gradually change the sound? (Or is it just a question of volume? I`m just a beginner after long years without really playing, thus the simple "newbie-question" ;-) )

Thanks for your help!

Does anybody know' date=' if the tone poti in these models only work like "on/off" or if turning them should gradually change the sound? (Or is it just a question of volume? I`m just a beginner after long years without really playing, thus the simple "newbie-question" ;-) )[/quote']

There's no on/off like functions in a potentiometer. They're either linear or logarithmically variable resistors.

If your tone control seems to have little effect and nothing is broken, it's likely down to one or several of :

- too large potentiometer value

- too small capacitor

- hearing damage from all those years of rock'n'roll... ;-)

If you want more treble bleed (darker tone), use a bigger capacitor and/or smaller potentiometer.

If you want a greater tonal range, use a bigger pot and a bigger capacitor.

If you want a different response curve for your tone control, you could swap out the (presumably linear) pot for a logarithmic one and wire it so that the onset of the tone control becomes more sudden with relation to the knobs position.

DJ

--

^ historic resissue tone pots sound like "on/off" switches. They're linear, yes.

You cannot hear a difference as you roll the pot from (say) 10 - 3.

Then at around 3, there's an immediate change in sound and then again, no audible difference from 3 - 0.

The pots are fine, they're designed that way.

Shade, I don't know if certain pots were like that in the early '80s. You may just need to replace them.

^ historic resissue tone pots sound like "on/off" switches. They're linear' date=' yes.

Then at around 3, there's an immediate change in sound and then again, no audible difference from 3 - 0....[/quote']

That then sounds like a too big pot or a too small cap (the linear pot is linear, as you say). If the tone controls range of adjustment is placed too high in frequency you will not hear much of an effect until the (low order!) filter is well within the audible range. There's no possibility of any on/off effects in the actual circuit.

DJ

--

^ historic resissue tone pots sound like "on/off" switches. They're linear' date=' yes.

Then at around 3, there's an immediate change in sound and then again, no audible difference from 3 - 0.

The pots are fine, they're designed that way.[/quote']

Thank you very much for your help and information! (To both of you, of course)

I will listen more careful again, if there is the change of tone as described above... Nevertheless it is also probably a good idea to get a professional check of the guitar...

Archived