Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars associated with Jimmy Page

Tim Plains

OK, it's no secret that once you put Jimmy's name on a guitar, it's worth a ton.

I saw a youtube video about the 25, 2004 Jimmy Page R9s - these sold for $25,000 new and have since resold for up to $125,000. Why?...because Jimmy played and autographed them, that's it...big deal! I was on eBay yesterday and came across an EDS 1275 also autographed by Jimmy (I didn't know Gibson did a run of these but anyways...). The asking price is $38,000. $38,000 for an EDS that (I believe) normally has a list price of $8,000. Why would anybody in their right mind pay such a HUGE premium for something so miniscule?

So, a couple of questions:

1. Are there any other guitars, Gibson or non-Gibson, that Jimmy has autographed and are worth a king's ransom for that reason alone?

2. It's no secret that Jimmy is also a contributing factor to present day '59 burst prices. Are there any other specific guitars that are worth insanely more than they should be worth because of Page? I know he played a Tele & Danelectro back in the day - is there one particular Tele or Dano that's that's praised more than the rest?

That must be a wonderful experience. I have some guitars that are over 40 years old and aren't yet worn out. Have you worn out a lot of guitars? =P~

lol here we go again... I mean that I dont like the look or the pre worn guitars...

DAS' date=' what does you not liking roadworn guitars have to do with this thread. I was asking about Jimmy Page, not who likes relics.

Thanks for the derail.[/quote']

oh whoops sorry wasnt payin attention....

just added that as a side thought.... I'll get rid of it.

Okay, getting back on track here - somewhat...

Are there any other specific guitars that are worth insanely more than they should be worth because of Page? I know he played a Tele & Danelectro back in the day - is there one particular Tele or Dano that's that's praised more than the rest?

Try buying one of these in black!

3377602854_82dc5ceefd.jpg

It's a cheapo late nineties Danelectro 59 DC reissue.

The colors on these were all different flavors of disgusting pastels like baby blue and puke green.

Mine is called Salmon pink I believe' date=' but it looks orange or copper as well depending on the light.

Very cool plastic guitar!

The controls on a Les Paul should be like these....

Looking at the prices on Ebay (we're only talking a couple hundred bucks) there are some variables that can drive the value up. A 'Pro' bridge that allows intonation is one for instance, so we ain't talking '59 Les Pauls here...

One thing that will easily [i']triple[/i] the price? If it's painted black - like the one Jimmy Page used on his slide work.

People even paint them black to try to make a quick buck....

I could see Martin pull a Clapton and reissue the one he used primarily.

Tele is a different story, his was pretty f-ed up and ratty and I don't know how many Fender guys would bite.

There's a certain number of Page fanatic that will buy ANYTHING you can sell 'em - at any price.

Great thread Tim!

Takes a MAN to play a pink guitar ya know....

O:)/

DVW' date=' what's the story on that Dano?[/quote']

Neo, actually that's my one and only six string I bought online at probably the biggest music store in Europe, named Music Store(?!). I was looking for a D59 replica of the original Jimmy Page's to play slide, and I grabbed the opportunity to buy it at a low budget price, ...it arrived in a perfect state and though I have to admit I don't play it that often... but if I do so, I can really make big moves without worrying too much about damaging it. It's a nice to have, nothing more, nothing less...

Not related to Jimmy Page, but more to the "Rock star" owned guitars. Last week there was a Neal Schon owned and signed R8 up on eBay. The guy was only asking $3200 and never got a bite. It was strange to me, since R8's usually go for around $2800, and there were attached pics of Neal playing it on stage and a signing event. Didn't seem too unreasonable of an asking price. Signatures could be good or bad, depending on your notoriety.

D59 replica of the original Jimmy Page's

a low budget price

I have to admit I don't play it that often...

It's a nice to have' date=' nothing more, nothing less...[/quote']

From the look of the headstock, that's one of the new ones from last year, right?

Doesn't have the stacked tone/volume pots.

For the money, they're a cool guitar!

Mine is the only import I own, being a gear snob and all....

O:)/

From the look of the headstock' date=' that's one of the new ones from last year, right?

Doesn't have the stacked tone/volume pots.

For the money, they're a cool guitar!

Mine is the only import I own, being a gear snob and all....

:-s/

[/quote']

You've seen that right Neo, it's a 2008 reissue, and it doesn't wear the stacked tone & volume pots and the jack isn't on top of the body but at the side, and for 250 EURO(=200 USD) you can't be fooled.

Jeez...

I paid over $200 for mine - used - and it's pink!

Here's the link to D59 at Music Store and it's early in the morning' date=' I still need to wake up: conversion to USD would be(1 EURO = 1.4 USD): [b']350USD(new)[/b] so stay put with your danelectro, you've made yourself a good deal!

http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/GBP/ViewParametricSearch-SimpleOfferSearch

I see the link doesn't give me the required URLpage: just click the link and type danelectro 59 in 'search'

Archived