Gibson Brands Forums

Best amp for an SG?

Phantom123

I am looking to pay around a thousand (Give or take) for a good amp that can really unleash my Gibson SG Classic (P-90s). My music style of choice is classic rock to blues to Hard Rock. Some ideal tones would be Gary Moore on just about anything, BB King's blues with a bit more reverb, the classic 'Marshall' Crunch that you usually hear in the average demo video (Ie that heavily distorted sound that works great for power-chords AND soloing), and maybe even a Satch equivalent liquidy-smooth sound. What would work for all of these things?

You're not going to get a clear and definitive answer on which is the best amp.

Why don't you try a bunch of amps out at a local music store and go with the one you like best?

No choices locally, no where I can definitively go within 2 hours. I'll need to know at least a few really good ideas before making the voyage, since it's so distant. But yeah, that's why I'm asking =P

For what you're looking for, you really can't go wrong with an all-tube Marshall. You're only problem will be finding one at that price.

I might also suggest the Fender Hot-Rod series. What you'll want is a good tube amp. I also like Vox alot but I really think a Marshall fits your requirements perfectly.

First of all,don't go for a Hot Rod unless it's made in the US. They have reliability issues if they're made in Mexico. Had to resolder all the tube sockets in mine. I use a late 70's Pro Reverb when I'm not playing Pedal Steel,and it is the best sound I've ever heard. Of course it is hot-rodded. Try to get an amp that's hand wired,the printed circuit board amps are almost impossible to repair & mod. A '70's Fender--you can't go wrong!

I always love these kinds of questions. ;>) They're so subjective...how can anyone say which is the "Best" amp, for any guitar...for You?!

Only You will know what you like/love...when you hear it. And, it may depend too, on what style/type music you're currently involved with?

I play my SG (and other guitars) into several different amps, (Fender, Marshall, Vox, etc.), and even more...over the years. Got/Get great

tone (for me), out of all of them! Sorry...not trying to be "jerk," here...but it really IS up to your ears and what you really love, that counts.

CB

Just bought an SG back in July. I've always played fender amps, and I was worried that the SG might not sound all that great through my '67 Bassman, but I've gotta say, it sounds awesome! Others have recommended Fender amps - I have to say that for Blues tone, Gibson guitars and Fender amps sound pretty amazing together. Throw in an Ibanez Tubescreamer (I use the 808), and you've got some killer tone.

I have an Egnater Rebel 20. It has both 6v6 and EL84 tubes which you can switch or mix to give you either British or American valve tones . It's under a grand. Play one at your local music store and see if you like it. It's had pretty good reviews.

I am loving my Epi SG through my Peavey Delta Blues tube amp. I just retubed with JJ's from Eurotubes and added a Toms Tube Tamer to it because when playing at low volumes the Delta Blues and Classic 30's always seem to have tube rattle. The Toms Tube Tamer I got from Ebay solved that in 5 minutes of install time.

I just had the wiring worked on in my SG and the guy added a capacitor to the tone pots.... what a difference that made as well! Now I am going straight from the SG into the amp and I get cleans that rival the "Woman" tone in the Early Clapton days but I can get great gritty blues tones with a harder pick attack. I think my SG is the best sounding guitar I have played through the Delta Blues amp. Very sweet for not a bunch of $$$ plus it is made in Meridian Mississippi, home of the delta blues... how could you go wrong?

PICT5227.jpg

Ok guys, I have a Marshall 100 watt, a Fender 212 100 watt but I wanted a smaller practice amp. I picked up a Vox VT30 at my local music store. The owner showed it to me so I took it home and tried it out. These are great amps to play around the house or a small gig. The amp has a lot of effects and you can get a Tube sound out of them. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a good practice amp. Lots of affects without using any pedals. I play my LP Studio, SG Standard, Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Fender Hwy 1 Telecaster all through this amp and I get great sounds. For a $300 amp you get a lot for your money.

The OP has not mentioned WHERE he intends to use this amp. And if he intends to use it at home, then most of the amp suggestions listed are absolutely the WRONG way to go...

Tube amp? Yes.

40W? Absolutely insane, I say.

I've had 50 watter tube amps, and it was a terrible choice for home practice. The point of having a tube amps is that sweet tone and crunch, but that requires you to DRIVE those tubes... so higher volume levels on the volume/gain knobs are required. Typically past "4" out of 12, depending on the brand. With a 40 Watter, those volume levels with have you go deaf in a week LOL. If this is for Jam sessions, small clubs, etc then 40W+ is fine.

I finally settled for a 5W tube amp, the smallest wattage they make, and believe me this thing can still get insanely LOUD, but at least I can get into the 'crunchy' gain zone without going totally deaf.

The OP has not mentioned WHERE he intends to use this amp. And if he intends to use it at home' date=' then most of the amp suggestions listed are absolutely the WRONG way to go...

Tube amp? Yes.

40W? Absolutely insane, I say.

I've had 50 watter tube amps, and it was a terrible choice for home practice. The point of having a tube amps is that sweet tone and crunch, but that requires you to DRIVE those tubes... so higher volume levels on the volume/gain knobs are required. Typically past "4" out of 12, depending on the brand. With a 40 Watter, those volume levels with have you go deaf in a week LOL. If this is for Jam sessions, small clubs, etc then 40W+ is fine.

I finally settled for a 5W tube amp, the smallest wattage they make, and believe me this thing can still get insanely LOUD, but at least I can get into the 'crunchy' gain zone without going totally deaf.

[/quote']

And just how much louder is a 40 watt amp than a 5 watt amp?

Not 2x.

Insane you say!

I say crank it up.

Archived