Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Black Beauty

Californiaman

I know there has been many reincarnations of this iconic guitar.

What I need to know is what's the difference?

I found a 1982 Custom Black Beauty that I like.

What's the difference between that and say the newer incarnation?

I read somewhere that the '82 had a maple cap whereas the 09 or 08 doesn't.

Need help here fellows.

As much information on the Black Beauty as possible so as to make an informed buying decision.

According to sweetwater The Gibson Custom Les Paul Custom 1957 Black Beauty

:

the body is all mahogany

they "recreated the CTS pots and bumblebee caps" for the 57

early 50s neck profile

I hope that's the model you were thinkin of.... only one I could find on sweetwater

you mean like this one?

its a 2007 Black Beauty 3 pickup 57 VOS reissue. with Bigsby.

all mahogany body. ebony fretboard.

its heavy but it has a tone you can't get with anything else.

interesting to note that a lot of the classic Stones and Zeppelin recordings (68-72) were done with this model of guitar.

61d8_20.jpg

Hey CA.... I think the 82 might have a sandwich body. Over time you can see a line going around the whole body of the guitar where the two slabs of wood were glued together... I would suggest which ever carnation you get make sure it's a one piece body.... I love my 07 BB... It weighs a ton, one of the heaviest guitar I own but It plays like a dream.... If you do a Ebay search for Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty or Gibson Les Paul Custom you will find many listings. I'm not saying to buy on Ebay as I am sure you are a hands on play it first type of guy but you will see many versions with all the details listed of each one. That will help you find the year and exact model you want. Did you see any at TrueTone while you were there? One thing, it might be worth your while to look at a couple early seventies models. A 70 or a 71 in good condition is a good investment might cost you a bit more than an early 80's model. I think the early 80's they were doing the protector case, a molded plastic chainsaw looking case. Early 70's they were doing the very cool purple velvet lined regular case...

My 07 Black Custom

DSC02126.jpg

make that a florentine and you got me my dream guitar Dave

Think about that, though, Dom. The main point BB pickers all make is what? It's freakin' HEAVY...AND it has killer tone. What's the attraction of the Florentine semi? The light weight. :-

Think about that' date=' though, Dom. The main point BB pickers all make is what? It's freakin' HEAVY...AND it has killer tone. What's the attraction of the Florentine semi? The light weight. :- [/quote']

lol of course my dream guitar will change to somethin else ridiculously expensive in about a week.

Hey CA.... I think the 82 might have a sandwich body. Over time you can see a line going around the whole body of the guitar where the two slabs of wood were glued together... I would suggest which ever carnation you get make sure it's a one piece body....

Pancake bodies ended around 5 years earlier...and it's kind of hard to see through the black paint. :-

Speaking of which, there's no guarantee yours (or mine) has a one-piece body.

I miss mine

<-----------

Though I never thought of it as a Black Beauty since it was a 2 pickup Custom (though it did have the gold hardware). I always thought BB meant the 3 pup version. Anyone? Anyone?

I miss mine

<-----------

Though I never thought of it as a Black Beauty since it was a 2 pickup Custom (though it did have the gold hardware). I always thought BB meant the 3 pup version. Anyone? Anyone?

The 3 pup comes to mind for me when I hear BB. OTOH I just saw a CL listing for a DC standard that the owner called a BB.

Pancake bodies ended around 5 years earlier...and it's kind of hard to see through the black paint. #-o

Speaking of which' date=' there's no guarantee yours (or mine) has a one-piece body.[/quote']

I wasn't sure on the dates of the pancake body Tim, as I stated... I have seen BBs with the line going around the body and it aint pretty....

I have seen BBs with the line going around the body and it aint pretty....

Yeah, I've seen that too.

Doesn't bother me really as long as it's painted, the whole pancake body thing.

Now the natural finish that displays an awfully unmatched glue joint is different!

you mean like this one?

its a 2007 Black Beauty 3 pickup 57 VOS reissue. with Bigsby.

all mahogany body. ebony fretboard.

its heavy but it has a tone you can't get with anything else.

interesting to note that a lot of the classic Stones and Zeppelin recordings (68-72) were done with this model of guitar.

61d8_20.jpg

Damn what a nice guitar!!!:-s

Hey CA.... I think the 82 might have a sandwich body. Over time you can see a line going around the whole body of the guitar where the two slabs of wood were glued together... I would suggest which ever carnation you get make sure it's a one piece body.... I love my 07 BB... It weighs a ton' date=' one of the heaviest guitar I own but It plays like a dream.... If you do a Ebay search for Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty or Gibson Les Paul Custom you will find many listings. I'm not saying to buy on Ebay as I am sure you are a hands on play it first type of guy but you will see many versions with all the details listed of each one. That will help you find the year and exact model you want. Did you see any at TrueTone while you were there? One thing, it might be worth your while to look at a couple early seventies models. A 70 or a 71 in good condition is a good investment might cost you a bit more than an early 80's model. I think the early 80's they were doing the protector case, a molded plastic chainsaw looking case. Early 70's they were doing the very cool purple velvet lined regular case...

My 07 Black Custom

[img']http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/Daveinspain_PB/DSC02126.jpg[/img]

Dave, I've never noticed you had a black beauty in your collection, ..........read this now in your signature(there signatures are great for, Jocko are your reading this?) Gorgeous guitar man, did you buy that in Spain or anywhere else in Europe?

Archived