Gibson Brands Forums

Should i learn music theory?

dem00n

Cons are that after time you will basicly be playing the same stuff over and over again' date=' it sorta makes u think what sounds good and u will only use the chords that sound good to make music. [/quote']

Nah, it's the exact opposite. That is the great thing about having some theory knowledge. People who have no idea are more likely to play the same thing over and over because they know it is safe, it works. With some knowledge, you can easily force yourself to do something different should you be stuck in a rut.

Blame my friends. They told me that after time u could be playing the same thing over and over again because of music theroy. But i asked my self wouldnt that be the own persons fault becuase the lack of new influnces and such.

You know, I've got some friends who are full of sh!t, too.

You'll learn some theory eventually anyway. There is no avoiding it.

Can one go overboard with learning theory? Probably, but that takes a lot more discipline that you probably possess.

Will learning theory cause you to become a mindless robot who has no soul? No.

The best part is that you will begin to understand why cool licks and chords sound cool!

My $.02

Stagnation does not come from knowing too much theory, it comes from lack of imagination. Knowing theory just lets you do so much more on the fly, or improvising, or teaching yourself another instrument.

It's not like you'll have to stay in some sort of boundaries or guidelines just 'cause you know theory. It's such a liberating thing to actually know why the riff you played sounded good against a particular bass line, or be able to nail a harmony the first time you play a song. Being able to substitute chords in your head, then put it on the fret board.

BB King said it on A&E when he played in their studio. If he had it to do all over again, he'd learn some theory and take a few music lessons. That wouldn't have changed his Heart and Soul, or the way he played the blues, but he would have been more comfortable on his instrument.

I believ his major problem with it is the work involved....

For sure Dom. Music Theory is a pain in the ***, it's pretty much learning a language, that is the result of thousands of years of music language being forced into one "common form." It's a jumble, with so many subtleties that you wonder how anyone could possibly learn it, yet alone command enough authority over it to teach others.

My idea of "theory" for a guitar is:

You hit/pluck/pick the string(s)

They make a noise

You put your left or right hand on a location on the neck dictated by frets, and fret markers to make a higher or lower pitched noise.

Theory.

I voted yes.

At your age? YES.

Me being totally self taught I do have this originality factor which I cannot explain, indeed some people like my style which is a little embarresing, however I do beleive in my heart I am not a GOOD guitarist. I would love to rip it up like some of the greats but I am far too old to re-learn (or indeed un-learn if that is even a phrase) the way I play. I would not even want to as it has been so much fun getting here! I'm just me now.

If you have a passion for learning then yes, do it, then develope your own style later dude.

Cons are that after time you will basicly be playing the same stuff over and over again' date=' it sorta makes u think what sounds good and u will only use the chords that sound good to make music. [/quote']

Not true. Buckethead has trained with various teachers and the book "Slonimsky's thesaurus of scales and melodic patterns" which includes theory yet he doesn't only use chords that sound good. He thinks outside of the box and plays many weird chords and weird sounding music. Then again, he might've not learned a lot of theory.

Sorry to join your post this late Dem00n. Anyway, I think you should give it a try, if you have the time and the will to learn, then there is nothing to lose and you will improve your musical skills.

I do find music theory a little boring, but I know guys that actually love the thing.

Archived