Gibson Brands Forums

pick guard problem

Vette77

I bought this new replacement pick guard for my les paul, and since its a custom i got the 5 ply model, which looks exactly like my current one. Thing is, the new one doesn't fit, its too big compared to my original pick guard. Why is this? Im currently trying to cut down the size of the new pick guard, but don't want it to look sloppy, but Im also mulling over contacting gibson and having them send me the proper size pick guard based on sent measurements, but I don't know if they would be willing to do that. What do you guys think?

I think the spacing on the pick guard is too big for that, but ill try it. its just strange how a product claims to be for a les paul custom and it still doesn't fit. only reason i could think of is that mine is a premium LP custom but i'm assuming they didn't design it with different measurements than the regular custom.

Too many Aftermaket ones Suck.

Get a True Gibson Replacement.

One in a Gibson Carton

Whoa! When i ordered a creme pickguard from gibson for my les paul studio, the neck screw hole was a few millimeters off and the pickup spacing was slightly off.

If you look on the online Gibson store you'll see that Studios, Standards, and maybe even Customs all have different pickguards. Maybe it doesnt matter that much but at first I tried to put my friends standard pickguard on my studio cause he doesnt use it, it didnt fit.

I think the spacing on the pick guard is too big for that' date=' but ill try it. its just strange how a product claims to be for a les paul custom and it still doesn't fit. only reason i could think of is that mine is a premium LP custom but i'm assuming they didn't design it with different measurements than the regular custom.[/quote']

The thing is, most of those after market products arent meant for GIBSON les pauls, but for epis and other "copies".

They all come with bigger rings and with diferent sized stuff.

The oposite happened to me when I bought a custom pickguard for an epi custom I used to own, it was too small!

If you look at it this way it makes sense: most people buying les paul shaped guitars always try to upgrade them. Most people buying gibson les pauls want them stock, and when they change something most want to change it with something made by gibson. So the money (and a bigger market) is in making parts for epis and arias.

Just picked up this one off of Ebay for 6 bucks with the Bracket and Screws.

The guy said it was a Gibson pickgaurd then Later told me it came off of a Gibson/Orville.

Its Close by not Right and the next will be the 22.00 Dollar Gibson one in a Gibson Package

000_7260.jpg

the replacement i got from guitar center online.

Yep. Problem.

The pickup placement is not as exact as you would like to believe, due to wood-machining tolerances.

We're not talking areospace precision with titanium here....

Even the Gibson one might require a little nudging as stated above.

Try loosening the pickup rings ever so slightly, see if they will scoot just enough to allow it to fit.

Worth a try, eh?

only one GOOD option DON'T USE ONE ! :-&/

Agreed. Some Les Pauls warrant the pickguard, but most I've seen look a lot less cluttered and smoother without one. What's the finish you have?

Also, that's what happens when you trust Guitar Center.

Archived