Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Guitars Choices

ClassicNick66

Hi Nick

My favourites that I have played are

Steel strung acoustics- any hand made guitar made by London Luthier Keith Turkington. He is a new luthier and makes the most exquisite instruments. They start at only $2500. His steel strings and Classical are jaw dropping.

Ibanez EP 9 (Steve Vai signature)- Kept hearing the sound clips online, finally got to play one and was so blown away, bought one and they are Chinese made too (dehn dehn deerrrn). They feel and sound are top notch.

Gibson J45- All the J45's I have played just feel so right! lovely big and rich sound.

Classicals- I endorse Rik Middleton Guitars, but only because I love em!, Manuel Contreras guitars are great for a more fuller and darker sound, Tony Johnson guitars are expensive ($8000 upwwars) but well worth it too. They have probably the most warm sound I have experienced in a Classical.

These were just opinions...

How much have you got to spend.

Cheers

Matt

I have a 30 year old Yamaha Folk and its got the warmest most mellow tone out of any guitar I have ever heard.

Jocko,

I am yet to play a below average Yamaha acoustic or electric guitar and the Japanese made guitars, in their production, are just amazing instruments =P~

But then I make no secret my love Japanese made instruments! =P~ They rock!!!

Matt

It's very difficult to beat a good Gibson SJ200. Mine is 6yrs old now and has been doing a couple of hundred gigs a year, so it's now loose as a goose and sounds unbelievable. My Hummingbird is incredible too.

I have 3 acoustics, an Ibanez, which is great for the money... I bought it as a blow out at Guitar Center for $150. A Takamine, another great guitar for the money although were talking 4 or 5 hundred bucks now. My top quality acoustic i'm sure you have never heard of, it's an Alhambra made here in Spain about an hours drive from where I live. They are sold in the states so check out Alhambra Guitars if you are interested. I have their top of the line Luthier Auditorium with cutaway model. Sounds incredible.

Martin HD-28V. It has the soft v shape neck, it fits perfectly in my hand. It has the same bracings as the old pre-war Martins. It has just the perfect sound and feel to me. The thing is LOUD, lows, mids, and top end all blend together perfectly. I have played several and every one that I have picked up feels perfect.

Ibanez EP 9 (Steve Vai signature)- Kept hearing the sound clips online' date=' finally got to play one and was so blown away, bought one and they are Chinese made too (dehn dehn deerrrn)

[/quote']

Oh do you mean.....

128693494471929690.jpg

Yeah' date=' what some people's favorite ACOUSTIC guitars and describe what you like about them...

[/quote']

Do you have a budget?

I had a 70s vintage Yamaha that I thought sounded terrific, but have not found a Yamaha (new) I liked at all since. My favorite is the Taylor GA line. I like the tone, size, and finish of these. Guild and of course Martin make great acoustics.

if money is no object and you are looking for an acoustic guitar that is hand built and made with excellent quality wood and parts.

try any of these: Bill Collings, Taylor, Marc Benateau, Jean Larrivee, William Laskin, Dan Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Martin, Gibson, Guild

i'm sure you will find something you like!

Archived