Gibson Brands Forums

Playing for others: After 25 years, my first time

kebob

P.S. As a side note: You have been playing guitar longer than I have been alive. If I can do it' date=' you can![/quote']

same... I've head you're there now sooooo....

I bet you're kickin ***...

• 2 weeks later...

Well -- figured I'd follow up with you fine folks on my open mic experience after all your great advice. I (and my playing partner) played at an open mic last night. It wasn't the coffeeshop open mic we were planning on. This one was in a bar -- a college age crowd, pretty much.

So I get there about an hour before the open mic session begins. The guy running the sound, of course, had his 5-piece band play an hour-long set to start the "open mic" :-k which to me isn't really the purpose of an open mic, but I digress...

After a few acoustic acts, we hit the stage. We played four songs. The first one we nailed. But the set wasn't without a few wrong chords by me, including one fairly big "oops" where I played an extra verse and threw off my partner who was singing, but oh well.

My night was made when at the end of our session, a woman from way in the back playing foosball came up and dropped a $5 tip into a cup for us. It was the only tip given the whole night. Toward the end of the evening, one of the woman's friends ran into me and said "You guys have to come back next week, you guys were great!" I thanked her profusely for being so kind while mentioning it was my first time on stage after more than 20 years of noodling on guitars.

Funny thing is I wasn't real nervous. Of course, I had probably 4 or 5 cocktails in me by the time we played. It was pretty laid back and a couple of guys that went on before us made me feel a lot more confident (if you know what I mean). All in all, it was a great first experience and I look forward to many more as my partner and I hone our songs.

And since I'm among fellow Gibby players I must say, I walked out of the place knowing I had the best damn acoustic guitar of anyone there at my side. :)

Congrtz..... glad your "first time" didn't hurt.

As far as mistakes, we all make 'em, even the "big boys" make 'em, (ever hear the "false start" in

Louie-Louie by the Kingsmen?). Ya just do what you can and play through.

The beauty comes when you and your playing partner, (damn that sounds notty), can "read" each

other to the point where you each can cover for the other.

Bob

"One of the woman's friends ran into me and said "You guys have to come back next week, you guys were great!" Reaching someone out there--that's what its about. Dont fret the mistake. With all that under your belt, maybe next time, only 2-3 cocktails needed! J

Archived