Gibson Brands Forums

Tube amp for home use

Bluemoon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fid a vintge obscure 1x12

i used to own VM amp, it was a small company out of mich. that only was around from 1952-55, and they made PA systems

well needless to say, that litte 75 watt amp had the best vintage blues overdrive ever, and it had a jensen speaker, and built in reverb

if you are looking for something like that , then i strongly recomend it

otherwise any fender frontman or marshall mg is good enough for bedroom rockin

I also recommend the Fender Blues Junior but with some comments.

The master volume knob is very touchy at low volume; there is a fine line between a whisper and what might be almost too loud for late night jamming if you have thin walls.

I bought mine used and the stock speaker either had issues (abused) or it just sucked. After doing research, it seems a lot of players don't care for the stock speakers so you might want to budget for a replacement if you don't like it either. I ended up replacing mine with a Weber but would consider a Celestion if I were to do it again. Do your research as the cabinet is small and the speaker a tight fit so not everything will fit in there.

Try to find one used; Fender has sold tons of these amps so they're pretty easy to find on Ebay and the like. At $450 new, I think that's a bit steep for what the amp is but if you can find one in good condition (most people just keep them at home so that should be easy) for around $350, that'd be a good buy IMO and would leave you $100 left over if decide you don't like the speaker.

BJs are popular candidates for mods so keep your eyes open about that. Some might be good mods, some might not. A popular site for mods is Bill's BJ mod page; his mods seem to make sense and are cost effective although I've never done any:

http://home.comcast.net/~machrone/bluesjunior.htm

Just beware of over investing in mods; it's a cheap amp and you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot if you decide to sell it later and can't recoup the money you sank into it.

Some folks swear by changing out the stock tubes. I went that route but didn't hear enough of a difference to think it was worth it and I tend to be really critical.

It's a small box amp so don't expect a lot of low end thump. If you try to make up for it by turning the bass control much past "5" get ready for some muddy overdrive. However, it does sound really good for what it is and gets some cool classic rock sounds as well as nice clean tones as well.

Overall, a good practice amp if you can get a good price on one. It's what I use at home.

fender blues junior, epiphone valve junior, blackheart (the 5Watt version), vox ac15 (but i think that one might be a little to much for home usage, remember "tube watts" are not the same as "solid state watts".

theres is of course this gibson GA5 Les Paul Jr amp that i cant find on MF or GC and someone in this forum owns (i think it was daveinspain but am not sure).

Purchased a Fender Super Champ XD for my daughter. Small, light with a punch. Also has a wide range of effects if your into it. With the gain engaged, I can't believe how long her LP can sustain a note. Nice and clean without any effects. I've read of others change the factory speaker, but for now, all sounds fine as is.

Good luck and stay well,

Elliot

I'll second the Peavey Classic 30 - nice clean tones and better distorted tones than Fender (IMHO of course)

You really need to spend some time playing a bunch of them...

Totally forgot about the peavey classic 30... but isnt it 30W? i think it may be a little too much for home use if you plan on cranking it to 10.

Nice amp!

as you noted, he should go and play as many of them as he can, and then let his ears decide.

I've got 3 of the ones mentioned so I'll comment.

The Marshal MG15CD is nice because it also has a headphone output and a CD in so you can practice quietly with your favorite CD. I've got the CDR which adds a true spring reverb and I'd recommend going that route if you go solid state. The FDD switch is necessary, the thing is a lifeless POS without it. The Valve Junior is inexpensive and will teach you more about your guitar since all there is is a volume control. You control the sound with the tone and volume on the guitar and the the volume on the amp. The sound is a little hollow and thin but that can be fixed with better tubes and a few pedals, but it's still a small speaker. The Blues Junior is good for classic rock and blues, but you'll need a pedal for metal type distortion. As someone said there isn't a lot of low end volume adjustment, below 1.5 it's pretty much on/off. The Bill M mods are cool, but I'd stay away from the bias mod. It sucked the life out of mine and I ended up reversing it. It has enough power that you could gig it in a small room, or mike it for larger spaces or recording

Totally forgot about the peavey classic 30... but isnt it 30W? i think it may be a little too much for home use if you plan on cranking it to 10.

Nice amp!

as you noted' date=' he should go and play as many of them as he can, and then let his ears decide.[/quote']

it is 30W so for bedroom practice probably too loud and no headphone capability. Mine is certainly not cranked - more like 10 or 11 o'clock. Good for basement or garage and could be gigged with as well. IMHO a good all around amp for the money. Quiet enough for home use but also loud enough to piss some people off.....

Have you ever heard of B-52? I have a 100W AT212, that sounds incredible. The problem is that it weighs 85lbs. I know they make a 60W AT112. I haven't tried it but I think it sounds pretty much the same as the AT212, only smaller and lighter. One of the coolest features is that you can operate it in Class A, Class A/B or solid state. Although it's pretty high wattage, there's a good matser volume that lets you get a great tone at low volumes.

Bluemoon said he was looking for a small TUBE amp for home use. The Marshall MG series are not tube amps. They are solid state.

I'd recommend the Fender Blues Junior (15W). I have one. Or the Vox AC-15. The Fender '65 Deluxe re-issue (pricey) has lovely tone but may not be suitable for home use at 22W and lacking a volume/master set-up. In other words you've got to play it with volume on 1 or 2 at home and that doesn't reach the "sweet-spot" tone you get higher up the dial. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is nice too, but too loud for home use at 40W.

I hear good things about the Peavey Classic 30, but have never actually heard one or played through one. Same goes for the Fender Super Champ XD.

Overall the Blues Junior is built like a tank (for a small 15W amp) & has a 12 inch speaker.

I know you said tube amp, but for home use why not something like a VOX Valvetronix, or a Peavey Transtube?

I own the Vox AD50VT, and while I don't have the experience that most of the people here have, I think it sounds way better than any pure solid-state amp I've heard. Additionally, the variable power input combined with the Master volume control over the mod volume control lets you crank the gain and the volume up to saturate the "tube" and still play at a level that your neighbors can tolerate.....without ever losing that growl.

...just a thought.

For $200 you should also consider the Fender Champ 600. Sort of like the Epi Valve Junior but it sounds like a Fender amp (this is a good thing). It uses a 6V6 tube in the output rather than the EL84 that most of the other 5 watt amps use. If you find one definitely give it a try - you should interview amps just like you do guitars.

Archived