Gibson Brands Forums

Birthday Girl Needs Help Deciding!

mwd

Hey, Gibson folks

It's my birthday and I am in a quandary. My present is to be a guitar. THAT's not the problem. The problem is, I am in love with two guitars: Hummingbird True Vintage and the J45.

I haven't been playing long. A year. I'm not your typical player, probably. I'm a 40-something mama of 3. I just up and decided to learn to play guitar and I am hooked on every aspect of it. I was all set to get a Martin then I held a Gibson and it "felt right" in my hand. I got run over about 12 years ago - a cycling/car accident. Broke my left wrist among other things and I need the short scale I think.

I'm playing a Gibson Gospel right now -- a loaner and I need a guitar of my own.

I have the chance to get a very, very nice 2007 Hummingbird True Vintage that belongs to a fabulous player/collector who I trust 100% to sell me a (played five times) perfect guitar. He has treated this guitar very well. It's new, really.

OK: I love the richness of the Hb sound.

BUT: I also love the intensity and growliness of the J45 midrange and bass.

Looks-wise, I love the country "bling" of the Hb and the understated "old-ness" of the 45.

HELP! Somebody out there -- give me advice/lay out arguments for the one you'd counsel me to get. Tell me the what the differences are that YOU hear, what you play with each, etc... I KNOW that it's up to each individual player what they prefer/choose, but my concern is to get something that I'll be able to keep learning with and go different directions with/explore with and "try out" different styles of music and not be too limited with right now while I'm learning.

I play everything I can figure out, by the way. Old Carter Family, The Smiths, Skynrd and Allman Brothers (I try), B. Springsteen, Son Volt, Johnny Cash, Van Morrison, X, Eagles, Bob Dylan, Patti Griffin, Tom Petty, Lloyd Cole, Elvis, Billy Bragg, Nancy Griffith, George Jones, Merle Haggard.... I like old and newer folk stuff. I like the alt-country, delta bluesy music and all sorts of Americana. Do y'all think I can do the types of music I've listed here with either guitar? Should I start with one and then go to another?

What styles of music do y'all do with yours if you own one or both these guitars?

I'm just a strummer at this point but I'd love to learn (If I can) I'd LOVE to learn to do what the guitarists on Lucinda Williams' "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road" can do. I have no pride about my playing - I LOVE to play but I know I'm very much a novice. If I had to guess, I think as i get better I'll gravitate towards Americana and then "Son Volt" type stuff if anyone is familiar with that.... But then, I love lots of kinds of music - old mountain bluegrass to rocking stuff.

I may just have to make up my mind and take the plunge... pull the trigger.... Then if my inclinations direct differently later, switch guitars. (Except that I tend to bond with guitars. I'll probably never let it go! I'll end up with two if my husband doesn't cart me off to Charter Winds first because of this obsession with guitars! We both took those vows really seriously or I think he'd worry about me hanging out with the 20 yr old boys down at the guitar shop! Me, our three small children and the twenty year old boys at the guitar shop, that is! HA!)

So, can anyone help? I'm really torn. REALLY. I need insights! Now I see why people have more than one guitar. They each do something different that you love. It's so not fair.

Personally, I like the looks of the Hummingbird more. I have never played either of them, however. If I were to suggest a Gibson for you to try out I would tell you to look at a Gibson Songwriter, or if you can find one used, a Gibson CL-30/50. Of all the Gibsons, Taylors, and Martins I have played my CL-30 just sings. As I noted in another post, with Elixir 12-56 PB strings I get a natural "chorus" effect. Almost like the undertones of a 12 string but not as much. Now if the Hbird will sound similar, I'm not sure. But I do know that any Gibson is a good way to go!

Interesting question.

And Happy Birthday!

You can't never go wrong with a good J-45. They are the workhorse! I don't think your post tells us much about the J-45, though -- is it a True Vintage? a special edition? a red spruce special? etc, etc.

My read of your post suggests that the Hummingbird TV may be the way to go, based on your description of its highlights.

Either guitar would be a good one to acquire.

I'd nod ever so slightly in favour of the Hummingbird, just because (a) it's a bit more blinged up, (:- it IS a TV model, and © J-45s are much easier to find than TV Hummingbirds, relatively speaking.

Fred

Is the J45 a TV too? If it is the Standard version it will have a pickup. The TV's don't have a pickup but you can always put one in later. Not sure what your needs are. The TV's are lighter built and typically sound better, to me anyway (better being a subjective thing). I have the standard J45 and am very happy with it but if I could have afforded the TV I would have gotten that one. Really, just play each one as much as you can and find different guitars of each model as every guitar tends to have its own personality. Either way you have narrowed it down to two great guitars. Can't really go wrong.

I have a J45TV and a 70s Hummingbird, i've got to say that the J45TV is a really outstanding guitar! I've played a Hummingbird TV but only for a couple of minutes at a store and it was a superb instrument. It's a difficult thing to recommend one over the other as both a going to be great choices, i'd side with J1854me though i think and nudge you towards the hummingbird in this situation

but, here's a pic of lucinda playing a J45TV (i think it's a TV), seems to be her stage guitar now :-

74086513-600x390.jpg

Nice dilemma to be facing! Play them both and see what speaks to you. Personally, I really love Hummingbirds. Very pretty guitars, great sounding, easy playing. I agree that the TV series adds something extra. I'd lean towards the 'Bird, but that's my personal opinion. They are both great guitars. Aesthetically, I like the H'Bird better. No wrong decision. And, I'd venture to say that you may find yourself acquiring another guitar (or two, or three...) down the road, so maybe, someday, you'll have both. A better question--which one do you want most now??

Dwight

Based on your musical interests-- I'd say get a J45- First! (You can always have two guitars, right?) The traditional music that you like will work a lot better on a J45 than the HB.

I've got several good music picking friends that live in Athens. Welcome to the board and Happy Birthday!:-

I am a Hummingbird disciple and would recommend either the MC (if you plan to play live with it as it has a great pickup) or the TV for some seriously cosy and pleasing tone.

J45s are great, but I play a lot of similar stuff to you, and my 'Bird sings the whole day through with a warmth and supple authority which is completely unique to the 'Bird.

Do try a Dove too, though-a great Dove is a stunning guitar. Longer scale though, so you may need to string up lighter.

If you have any physical issues after your accident ...be sure you get something that is comfortable to sit with for a couple hours at a time.

I had a ladder fall 20 years ago and broke my shoulder blade on my right side. Never really had much issues but recently I developed some tendinitis in my right hand. I am going on 6 months trying to get over it and have come to realize the old shoulder injury is really the culprit. I am doing all sorts of exercises as suggested by the Therapist and getting much better. But also ended up selling my dreadnought simply because it was too big to sit with for extended time playing. My salvation has been smaller body guitars with short scales.

Just a though that if you are buying a guitar for long term ....make sure it accommodates your old injury rather than aggravates. When I first started playing I thought Dreds were all there was...then I learned about the different body styles and it opened my eyes and mind.

My CJ-165 is a great small body / short scale guitar that if you can find one ...might be worth considering for you.

Happy Birthday Melanie.

I do not have either guitar nor have I played them. I play a Songwriter Deluxe and love the way it sounds. Just from reading your post I get the feeling that you have already decided on the Hummingbird and that is a great choice for your first guitar. I wish I had something that nice to play when I started.

I just looked at both of these guitars and just judging from the looks, I like the Hummingbird over the J45. Enjoy and keep playing because it will keep you young at heart.

Is the J45 a TV too? If it is the Standard version it will have a pickup. The TV's don't have a pickup but you can always put one in later. Not sure what your needs are. The TV's are lighter built and typically sound better' date=' to me anyway (better being a subjective thing). I have the standard J45 and am very happy with it but if I could have afforded the TV I would have gotten that one. Really, just play each one as much as you can and find different guitars of each model as every guitar tends to have its own personality. Either way you have narrowed it down to two great guitars. Can't really go wrong.

[/quote']

See, I love the looks of your 45. The J45 I played wasn't a TV or Red Spruce, etc... it was "regular"... I sure loved the sound.

Why would you have preferred to get a 45TV? For the little extras aesthetically or for tone differences?

Are the only derivations from the 45 tobacco sunburst on customs?

m

Interesting question.

And Happy Birthday!

You can't never go wrong with a good J-45. They are the workhorse! I don't think your post tells us much about the J-45' date=' though -- is it a True Vintage? a special edition? a red spruce special? etc, etc.

My read of your post suggests that the Hummingbird TV may be the way to go, based on your description of its highlights.

Either guitar would be a good one to acquire.

I'd nod ever so slightly in favour of the Hummingbird, just because (a) it's a bit more blinged up, (:-k it IS a TV model, and © J-45s are much easier to find than TV Hummingbirds, relatively speaking.

Fred[/quote']

This one I played was a "regular" 45. For my education's sake could you describe the differences both in looks and in tone/playability of the others you mentioned?

"This one I played was a "regular" 45. For my education's sake could you describe the differences" The std model (also called "historic' or "mod classic") looks like an early 50s J45. It has a pickup. Gotah (?) tuners. Block logo. Maybe not as light and responsive as a True Vintage (banner logo, no p'up, vintage tuners). Ive played one or two stds that sounded thin, a few that sounded fine. If the bass is round and the trebles not too bright you should be ok.

Im with the others who see the J45 as more of an all-rounder. And easier to sit handle. But let yours ears decide. JK

Btw, re the pick of Lucinda willaimms, that's a std j45. No banner.

To me the TV sounded a little more responsive and powerful. Just by looking at them they are very similar other than the banner headstock and different vintage tuners. Mine has grovers. I believe they are also braced differently. In response to your question about other J45 derivations, most are custom as far as I know. If you like a natural top look you could always get a J50. It's the same guitar as a J45 just minus the sunburst.

well, IF you can get a good deal on that "used" Hummingbird and since it sounds like you are almost already sold on it, then, you can't go wrong with that direction. That said, over time, you might find the J45 to fit your current musical leanings better. Either way, your decision is a nice problem to have - for sure! Good luck.

The thing about the J-45, for me, is my appreciation for it just gradually kept increasing the more I played it. When I picked up a Hummingbird, J-200, Martin D-28, or a Song Writer, I was immediately impressed by the initial sound but with further playing my enthusiasm waned. This especially happens to me with rosewood guitars. They are immediately lush sounding, then the trebles start to get on my nerves.

The J-45 was more subtle. I found myself liking what I was hearing the more I played it.

One truism about guitars is that we all hear them a little bit differently, and, even if you are not a seasoned player, your ears and heart can still direct you. My humble advise is to play both of the guitars several more times, and slowly one will say to you........"take me home."

Thirty years ago when I could barely strum or tune a guitar, I visited a local music store 3 or 4 times and finally walked out with a Guild D25M because I thought it sounded the best. I still have that guitar and it still sounds good to me.

I am a Hummingbird disciple and would recommend either the MC (if you plan to play live with it as it has a great pickup) or the TV for some seriously cosy and pleasing tone.

J45s are great' date=' but I play a lot of similar stuff to you, and my 'Bird sings the whole day through with a warmth and supple authority which is completely unique to the 'Bird.

Do try a Dove too, though-a great Dove is a stunning guitar. Longer scale though, so you may need to string up lighter. [/quote']

OK -- Jinder: Can I just say something here without you thinking I'm totally kissing up? Because I'm absolutely sincere, here.

I can't fathom that a singer/songwriter/player of your caliber even deigned to post a reply to my pitiful plea for advice. You along with the many others who have responded with advice --- all of you have so much knowledge and playing time on me.... Thanks to you all. Keep the insights coming.

I went to the website listed at the bottom of your post. Are you sure you're British? That first song I heard could have been sung by some of those Mississippi boys I knew back in Oxford. (Oxford, Mississippi, that is)

I will, no doubt bug you some more on private e-mail about your thoughts on guitars but I wanted to make this a public post to tell anyone else following along to take a look at listen sometime at Mr. Jinder's site and his music.

Highjack:"This happens to me with rosewood guitars. I was immediately impressed by the initial sound but with further playing my enthusiasm waned.They are immediately lush sounding, then the trebles start to get on my nerves."

Waggs, that pretty much defines my experience w/RW. A while back, I bought a RW Martin dread, thinking "bluegreass" and "flatpickin'' - but when it came to playing solo runs, I kept reaching back for my J50. A sweeter, more complex top end.

(Fun fact, flatpick great Clarence White played a hog D18 on his groundbreaking Appalachcian Swing record, er CD).

Highjack:"This happens to me with rosewood guitars. I was immediately impressed by the initial sound but with further playing my enthusiasm waned.They are immediately lush sounding' date=' then the trebles start to get on my nerves."

Waggs, that pretty much defines my experience w/RW.

[/quote']

+1. same with me. exactly.

mwd. Glad to see you here following on from all the shenanigans.

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this but have someone who can play, play both with you listening. (I'm not suggesting that you can't play of course) It gives a different perspective.

When I bought my SWD I a/b tested it against a Hummingbird MC and went for the more forthright and growly tone of the Songwriter. I have never regretted this but one day hope to have an H'bird too.

Tough call between your choices. I'm no expert but they are very different in tone. I do love the drier woody tone of the J45 but would probably have to go for the H'bird if it were me - mainly because I've wanted one for many many years.

As Taylor Player and others have said, pics are compulsory and GillianGirl insists on knowing the first song played on a new guitar.

Archived