Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson's have a 1 3/4" nut width?

pig140

2"? Wow! No thanks, but very interesting. Actually keeping my eyes open for a J-45, but I thought all J-45's, SJ's, J-50's, J-200's, etc had a 1 11/16 nut width. I recently saw a J-45 from the 90's listed at an well estalished online store that listed the nut width as 1 3/4. I called to double check and they measured and confirmed this. They also said that they've had used J-45's with this nut width before.

I thought that most Gibsons were 1.725" like my Advanced Jumbo? I swear that even though it is .025" smaller than my Taylor at 1.75" I can't really feel the difference like I can going from the Taylor to my Gibson LG1 with a 1 11/16" nut. Maybe it is the shape of the back of the neck that keeps it similar to me, I don't know but really have no problem going from the Taylor to either Gibson in reality.

I'm with you. My Martins have 1 3/4" and i used to have a J-45RW that had the 1.725. Going from one to the other was night and day. Even tho 1.725 is closer to 1 3/4 than 1 11/16, it seems people always say Gibsons have 11/16. Maybe it is just the way the neck feels or maybe string spacing. I wish i could find a J-45 with a 1 3/4 nut width like my Martins.

I'm with you. My Martins have 1 3/4" and i used to have a J-45RW that had the 1.725. Going from one to the other was night and day. Even tho 1.725 is closer to 1 3/4 than 1 11/16' date=' it seems people always say Gibsons have 11/16. Maybe it is just the way the neck feels or maybe string spacing. I wish i could find a J-45 with a 1 3/4 nut width like my Martins. [/quote']

Most Gibsons are 1 23/32, a bit wider than most Martins, which are typically 1 11/16. I think your Martins are atypical if they are 1.75.

That being said, IIRC, I've seen some Gibson Customs - the short scale AJs that used to be sold at GuitarSale, some Fullers & I think some OJs that claimed to be 1.75 (I had Guitarsale measure for me & they clearly stated their custom AJs were 1.75.) OT: My Roy Smeck is 1 13/16, which is normal for a Smeck Reissue(if anything is "normal" about a Smeck - since it's a reissue of a mod of the original Smeck!)

I think the 'target' for most Gibson acoustic models in 1 and 11/16" at the nut.

There are always, I would suspect, ones that come through the line with dimensions that vary from that target.

I had for a while 2 J-185s, both mid to late 90s built. One had a 1 ¾" nut, the other 1 and 11/16" nut. They were both comfortable to play guitars: I could never say in that case, that the one with the larger nut width was more difficult to play than the other one.

Fred

Most Gibsons are 1 23/32' date=' a bit wider than most Martins, which are typically 1 11/16. I think your Martins are atypical if they are 1.75.

[/quote']

Actually, maybe half of the Martin dreadnaughts may be 1 11/16, but the majority of OM Martins are 1 3/4. I have a SWOM and a 000-18GE, both 1 3/4".

Fred, that's kinda what I was thinking. The J-45RW that I had felt very narrow, more so than normal.

Archived