Gibson Brands Forums

Question about warranty and registering with Gibson...

CtotheP

So my wife gave me a new 2002 SG Faded a few years ago, and it's been in it's case for the past few years and is virtually brand spanking new. (Graduate school and work will do that to you). I'm back in lessons and playing a lot now with my free time.

Can I still register my guitar w/ Gibson and have them fix a few things on my SG? even though it's a few years old? I still have the original receipts and I'm the original owner. There's just a few quality control issues that I'd like to have addressed.

Thanks in advance!

FYI - First post :-#

Actually I just found this on the Gibson Website.

THIS WARRANTY IS EXTENDED TO THE ORIGINAL RETAIL PURCHASER ONLY AND MAY NOT BE TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED TO SUBSEQUENT OWNERS. IN ORDER TO VALIDATE YOUR WARRANTY, AND AS A CONDITION PRECEDENT TO WARRANTY COVERAGE HEREUNDER, YOU MUST RETURN YOUR WARRANTY REGISTRATION CARD WITHIN FIFTEEN (15) DAYS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL DATE OF PURCHASE. YOUR PROOF OF PURCHASE OR SALES RECEIPT MUST ACCOMPANY ALL REQUESTS FOR WARRANTY COVERAGE.

No you're not. Federal and state laws prohibit companies from requiring you to send in a Warranty card to get warranty service. The card is just there to get your name/address for marketing. All you have to show is that you're the original owner since they can limit to original owners.

Any authorized Service Center, however since you're dealing with an older guitar there may be some other things. the electronics (pups, pots, switches, wiring) was only warranted for a year after purchase, so there is no warranty on those anymore. Read the whole warranty on the link that LiveSoundGuy sent to make sure you have coverage on your issues.

Archived