Gibson Brands Forums

Which new (first) tube amp?

Andre S

They sound pretty close so just get the one you think is the coolest....

Well, I'm thinking the Vox because the Fender has built in digital models. But they both sound good. Maybe the Vox because its simpler, in terms of controls, so more pedals, is that a pro or con?

The vox.. but for your style you'll need some OD pedal in front.

definitely, I was thinking of the bad monkey or the BD-2 ( my first choice was the Okko Diablo, but thats only available from Germany, and I may buy it from that guy on youtube, Greg whos vids I always put up), and original wah as the pedals for now.

I figure, it doesnt make sense to get recording equipment if the sound coming from a Line 6 Spider 3 isn't desirable to record.

The Fender is a hybrid' date=' isn't it?[/quote']

Not really, with the effects bypassed it's a tube amp (12AX7 preamp, 6V6 output. It's basically the same circuit as the Champ modded for 15W AB out), with the effects in it's the same as putting pedals in the signal chain. Get whichever you think sounds best. Vox is having problems with some of the Made in China products.

I appreciate the input, I would go with the Fender, but it isn't the one I wanted, I would have prefered a one of the Reverb Series, so I think that I am going to go with the Vox. Dont know when but hopefully it will be this month.

If your mind is still open . . .

Go try a Krank Rev Jr Pro and an Egnater Rebel.

Though I went with the Krank, you can't go wrong with either one. And you get that cute 'lil head factor too.

Now that they are finally available, I would try a Blackstar HT-5 too. I think you can get it in a combo if must have a combo.

Respectfully, I wouldn't buy either...unless those were the only 2 amps left on earth....IMHO, there are better amps for around the same price...or there's the option of saving more money for an even better amp. I'm not trying to be a jerk. A good amp can last a lifetime and becomes an extension of your guitar.

Archived