Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead on Jazz.com

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMGILOVEBUCKETHEADSOMUCHBECAUSEHEHASSOMANYALBUMSANDPALYSALESPPAULANDSTUFF

ANDHEWEARSAMASKANDNOONECANSEEHIMBUTITSNOTJUSTAGIMMICKBECAUSEHEISONJAZZDOTCOM

ANDHEPLAYSLOTSOFDIFFERENTKINDSOFMUSICANDISNTJUSTSHREDHESREALLYVERSITILEBECAUSEHEPLAYEDINGUNSNROSES

ANDHEISREALLYGOODATLIKESENSITIVEEMOTIONALMUSICANDHESWAYBETTERTHANSLASHANDJIMMYPAGEANDZAKKWYLEANDSTUFF

BECAUSEISAYHIMINCONCERTANDHEDANCEDWITHNUNCHUCKSANDTHENPLAYEDWITHALOTOFEMOTION

"Yet here is the strangest part of the story. This artist's guitar playing has no gimmickry about it. The music has a stark, open quality and—unlike the bizarre figure on stage—makes its point through understatement, especially in the opening minutes of "Machete." But don't underestimate this walking advertisement for fried chicken: when the occasion warrants, his digits can fly (lick-finger-pickin' good), and the track closes with some seriously wailing guitar. Even so, there is a cerebral and noncommercial soulfulness at work here. Heck, I'd listen to him even if he ditched the bucket, and downsized to a box or bag."

A great review for a great track.

Well it appears you are like many here and have a fav player' date=' thats cool, but I would be willing to bet there are others who feel that way about other guitar players; I for one don't share your feelings about him. This man wore a KFC bucket; thats his claim to fame. I give him two maybe 3 more years and it will be Who? You know the bucket dude? Bucket dude? Yeah the guy with the chucks? Yeah he is known for everything but music. [/quote']

His guitar playing is his claim to fame not whats on his head. 3 more years, hes been around since 1989. You judge someone you know nothing about. Ignorence is bliss.

Right... I'll remember that one. Ask any one who buckethead is I bet they say the dude with the bucket on his head and the I know what you did last summer mask or will they say oh you mean that great numchuck guy on stage or guitar player? My money is on the bucket

so what?

Good for you man...We all need our heroes.

Her's mine

acefrehley-1.jpg

You can bet that if there had been a Gibson Forum back in my day' date=' Ace would have been given alot a crap too.

Still is by some.[/quote']

Back in the 70s, it was commonly thought that Kiss was a passing phase...

But IMO his playing is sterile and had it not been for the KFC he would not be known; because there are thousands just like him but without KFC.

With that being said, I'm going out to get a two piece Original Recipe.

I agree' date=' back in the 70's there was hundreds, maybe thousands and it was a gimmick and it worked. EVH gimmick was tapping, and Zakk is the squeals. My point is that its a gimmick that gets then ahead of the pack well so be it. This is one reason why KISS has yet to make it in the Hall of Fame; ACE was a good player but he is not know by his playing its the makeup.

Bucket has his chucks and his KFC head dress; and if that sells then go for it. I guess I would do it also if I had a chance; a gimmick I mean. But IMO his playing is sterile and had it not been for the KFC he would not be known; because there are thousands just like him but without KFC.

[/quote']

I always just thought the Hall of Fame was a bunch of idiots that has a case of the A$$ against Kiss. Maybe I'm wrong.

After much complaining it seems they are coming around though. I won't name all the reasons why they should have long ago made it. Just one...Kiss Alive

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/23/kiss-and-abba-nominated-for-rock-hall-of-fame/

You can go there and find hundreds if not thousands of wanna be players who copy everyone or their style is so close its thought of as copied. So while you might not like the answer thats is the answer. Again the only reason he is where he is at is that stupid KFC head gear. End of story' date='...[/quote']

That's still not an answer. Just an attempt to evade the issue. I can understand that you can't back up your claim though.

BTW: I've been looking for composers/players similar to Buckethead and have found nothing.

DJ

--

the real question is how many actual spices does the col. use in his original receipe chicken? And just as important as what those spices are is how much of each spice. You see too much of any one spice will through the whole taste into a spin that possibly nobody would like.

I linked that article because jazz musicians are some of the most snobby musicans, yet they like Buckethead. Also it said Buckethead's playing has no gimmickry and mentioned his SOULFULNESS.

Well it appears you are like many here and have a fav player' date=' thats cool, but I would be willing to bet there are others who feel that way about other guitar players; I for one don't share your feelings about him. This man wore a KFC bucket; thats his claim to fame. I give him two maybe 3 more years and it will be Who? You know the bucket dude? Bucket dude? Yeah the guy with the chucks? Yeah he is known for everything but music. [/quote']

Popularity isn't a representation of skill. Jonas brothers? Doesn't matter what he's known for.

I agree' date=' back in the 70's there was hundreds, maybe thousands and it was a gimmick and it worked. EVH gimmick was tapping, and Zakk is the squeals. My point is that its a gimmick that gets then ahead of the pack well so be it. This is one reason why KISS has yet to make it in the Hall of Fame; ACE was a good player but he is not know by his playing its the makeup.

Bucket has his chucks and his KFC head dress; and if that sells then go for it. I guess I would do it also if I had a chance; a gimmick I mean. But IMO his playing is sterile and had it not been for the KFC he would not be known; because there are thousands just like him but without KFC.

[/quote']

The kfc bucket isn't what introduces people. It's the music. A few years ago I played "Jordan" on guitar hero 2 (I started playing real guitar before guitar hero 1 came out so ha!](*,)/ ) and I didn't understand how anyone could play that fast. It seemed not human. When I saw that the song was by "Buckethead" I wasn't thinking "He's this guy with a kfc bucket on his head who does nunchuks".

I didn't think he wore a kfc bucket on his head. It didn't matter. I looked up Buckethead on youtube and discovered some cool songs before I even knew he wore a kfc bucket. I was attracted to his music. The first time I saw what he looked like was when I found "lesson". I started to believe "He's probably the fastest player in the world but there's not anything else."

Over time I was proven wrong. I discovered songs like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjhU9XQW86I Now I listen to all of his music (Metal, experimental, jazz fusion, funk, bluegrass, etc).

the real question is how many actual spices does the col. use in his original receipe chicken? And just as important as what those spices are is how much of each spice. You see too much of any one spice will through the whole taste into a spin that possibly nobody would like.

Someone sold the exact recipe on ebay. You missed it. It was only $1,000,000.

Archived