Gibson Brands Forums

Ideas on how to write songs

mooboo

I've been playing guitar for a few years and I want to start writing my own music. I can come up with chord progressions easy (duh) but melodies kill me. Lyrics I can do if I try hard enough but just what to sing does not come easy. Does anyone have any techniques for writing melodies. I'm trying to write country songs too (for a challenge) but really any kind of advice will help! Thanks everyone!

I keep a running tab of "babble tapes" where I just record new ideas without thinking about it. Then I go back and put songs together from my various babbles. Try just humming a melody and recording it. Then go back and lay some chords under it. I think it's easier this way than to start with some chords and then try to find a melody on top of it...

I usually get a drum groove and bass line happening and the see what chords go over the top. Once I have that worked out I just fool around with different melody lines that go well with the rest of it. Once I have my melody line the words just seem to fall in place....

I've been playing guitar for a few years and I want to start writing my own music. I can come up with chord progressions easy (duh) but melodies kill me. Lyrics I can do if I try hard enough but just what to sing does not come easy. Does anyone have any techniques for writing melodies. I'm trying to write country songs too (for a challenge) but really any kind of advice will help! Thanks everyone!

you know what kills me?

I come up with the verse and chorus in 15 minutes. Two DAYS later I still can't come up with a bridge that matches the chords of the verse and chorus.

I tried listening to it over, and getting into a electric solo, but I cant do that, because there are still some kinks in the rest to work out.

you know what kills me?

I come up with the verse and chorus in 15 minutes. Two DAYS later I still can't come up with a bridge that matches the chords of the verse and chorus.

I tried listening to it over' date=' and getting into a electric solo, but I cant do that, because there are still some kinks in the rest to work out.[/quote']

I am the exact same way

I find that a lot of writing is based upon other peoples writing....

SRV uses some robert johnson licks and Albert King and so forth....

listen to the music you like take some stuff modify it put some original stuff in and it might just fall into place

I wish I could offer some advice, but after 35+ years playing music, I've only written one song...not a very good one either. The melody, chords and words came to me as if by magic....The song was about a couple of things that were near and dear to me at the time and was called Cigarettes and Beer. My band performed it one time in public.

Archived