Gibson Brands Forums

Music room (work in progress)

Tim Plains

Did you do anything special sound wise, Tim? I ended up doing double layers of drywall with a lot of silicone bead in between. Hoping that might help to keep the neighbors (and the wife and baby) happy. Of course after all that we had to add a return air vent for the A/C (Florida ya know) so now I need to figure out a way to soundproof that!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great! Once this project is done you can make the trip across the border and do my basement...he he he. Actually, my kid now takes up two rooms, one for his bed and one for his toys. Hopefully in a few years he'll be more into video games than real toys, so I can convert his toy room into a music room.

Hey Tim, Looks great, very clean set up... You're going to need some absorption in the room though... Looks like all hard surfaces. Playing at any kind of volume in that room will do your head in... Maybe some wall hangings and a couple throw rugs will help. I put foam on my walls and stretched material over it and it works great... Looks good too.

Well done!

Dave, you're the sound engineer - I'm all ears.

There's already sound insulation behind the walls. Guess that's not enough?

Looks like the typical pink stuff but it's brown. Cost me a fair penny, too!

I won't get to really turn it up until Wednesday; so, I won't know until then how good/bad it is.

Dave' date=' you're the sound engineer - I'm all ears.

There's already sound insulation behind the walls. Guess that's not enough?

Looks like the typical pink stuff but it's brown. Cost me a fair penny, too!

I won't get to really turn it up until Wednesday; so, I won't know until then how good/bad it is.[/quote']

What are the guitars in the rectangular cases?

Is one a firebird?

Are Nine, the room looks terrific. Once you get some art on the walls and a couple of comfortable chairs, you'll never want to leave the house. Job well done. I'm green with envy.

Stripper poll?

dem00n, you're just never going to be a threat to win the spelling bee, are you?

Are Nine' date=' the room looks terrific. Once you get some art on the walls and a couple of comfortable chairs, you'll never want to leave the house. Job well done. I'm green with envy.

dem00n, you're just never going to be a threat to win the spelling bee, are you?[/quote']

not even a threat to enter it.....

Thanks, Natural!

Well, my wife's busy doing work for this week but I told her I was going to turn it up for a minute. Dave, I can get the Marshall up to 6 before my ears tell me that's too much. That's a lot higher than before =P~ but at this rate, I think I'll be deaf by 35; so, please, I'll take any advice you have to give. What foam and material are you referring to?

What are the guitars in the rectangular cases?

IMG_0382.jpg

Don't know what I'm going to do with the next case' date=' it's coming in about a month! [cool

That's really nice. The wall color and flooring all look great. I think the insulation in the walls is more for keeping the room isolated and not letting sound out.

Flat walls in the interior will allow the sound to bounce around.

Go out and buy a couple of cheap carpeted rugs/mats to throw on the floors for starters,you'll be amazed how much of a difference this will make in itself.

That door is gonna leak heaps. If you were serious,buy a heap of foam sound insulating tiles(usually $10 a square)and cover the back of the door.Then get some foam tape(self adhesive)and run it around the door seal wherever you can see light coming through. Put some more up on the walls or get some throw rugs like I think dave suggested and hang those.

But I'd start with the floors. There's really no easy or inexpensive way around sound proofing on the cheap. Make do with what you have(forget egg cartons)and can get access to for as cheap as possible.

But,I'm thinking aesthetics are gonna play are big part for you by the looks of that room.

Have fun. Oh,and the room looks great mate! [cool]

Thanks' date=' Natural!

Well, my wife's busy doing work for this week but I told her I was going to turn it up for a minute. Dave, I can get the Marshall up to 6 before my ears tell me that's too much. That's a lot higher than before =P~ but at this rate, I think I'll be deaf by 35; so, please, I'll take any advice you have to give. What foam and material are you referring to?

[img']http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gibson_Tim/IMG_0382.jpg[/img]

Don't know what I'm going to do with the next case, it's coming in about a month! [cool]

whoa! another one Tim? lol just joking, what is it? or is it too early to break the secret?

I am and I am putting it towards a new Strat body/upgrades

But when Are Nine shows up' date=' nothing else compares

[/quote']

An old guy told me once, "Don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses. Just work hard, keep your nose to the grindstone, save your money, and someday, all of a sudden, you'll BE the Joneses."

Archived