Gibson Brands Forums

Music room (work in progress)

Tim Plains

An old guy told me once' date=' "Don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses. Just work hard, keep your nose to the grindstone, save your money, and someday, all of a sudden, you'll BE the Joneses."[/quote']

Just the inspiration I needed.

I want to get this plan underway soon

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks' date=' Natural!

Well, my wife's busy doing work for this week but I told her I was going to turn it up for a minute. Dave, I can get the Marshall up to 6 before my ears tell me that's too much. That's a lot higher than before [biggrin but at this rate, I think I'll be deaf by 35; so, please, I'll take any advice you have to give. What foam and material are you referring to?

Tim, there is a synthetic foam you can buy in rolls... It's white and it's used a lot in the furniture business for padding, I think it's called Dacron it looks like this;

tn_dacron-roll.jpg

Take the material and tack it to the wall using a staple gun... Once you have your wall/walls covered with the Dacron fin a nice material to stretch over it. There are companies that do this professionally, it's called wall upholstery. I have done it myself and it comes out great. If you think you might want to try it yourself I'll give you more details on how to do it.

The pink insulation you put behind the walls is great and will help you keep the sound in the room but will do nothing for reflection... The room will be very live. If you do the wall upholstery the room will have a dead sound, clap your hands and no echo. This will even help the sound from penetrating the walls and leaking to the adjacent rooms as well.... You don't have to do all the walls either. If you leave one or two walls exposed your room will have a more natural sound, which may be a good thing. If you do all the walls you will have more control over the sound which is good for using say reverb or delay but thats more critical if you plan on recording there.

Thanks' date=' Dave! I definitely have to do something and that Dacron looks like it may be it.[/quote']

You may find you like the result so much that you decide to do it in other rooms. Works great in the dinning room. If you have lots of people over for dinner you will find the conversations don't turn into a yelling match... Also in your TV room or home cinema. I have it all over my house except for the bedrooms an kitchen...

[cool]

I wish I had a tenth of the stuff you had

If you don't mind me asking: how do you afford all of this?

Two possible answers come to mind:

-Newspapers... same route for the last 30 years. Canadians tip newspaper boys good!

-It's all about the exchange rate:-"

I'm actually the assistant newspaper boy...

Thanks, aymeric. Which Gibson do I have? More like - which Gibson don't I have!! [biggrin]

I'll just copy/paste this from another thread.

Thought I'd post a few pics of these two things I built with a friend of mine.

He has a wood shop. Friends like that are good to have. :-s

I've received quite a few complements over the Gibson chest and as far as I know, two people have even copied the design and made their own. Mine's the original, though. [blink]

They're both made from birch.

The first one's been stained Royal Mahogany.

A bit dirty right now, my apologies.

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

No screws, just glue.

IMG_0804.jpg

This is the newer, less frills, higher capacity model.

I originally wanted to have the cases lying on a 45° angle but that proved to be too much work; so, we just went for vertical.

I hate the chains but they've already prevented one guitar from tipping over.

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

Dave, you say that like it's a bad thing. lol

Tim' date=' you GAS crazy SOB! You got it already? How does it sound?[/quote']

It's funny. Remember I PMed you about it a few days ago? Well, I bought it that day. lol

It's great! Sounds like a Vox, just smaller. It can break up at really low volumes, too...which is nice.

Archived