Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead - Signature Les Paul Announced!

mcmurray

Wow' date=' so you need "guitar faces' to qualify emotion? DUDE, IT IS MUSIC!!!! YOU LISTEN WITH YOUR EARS NOT YOUR EYES! WHAT A RIDI****US STATEMENT!!!!![/quote']

Exactly. I was completely baffled by that post.

I wonder if he refuses to listen to classical music or any older music in which he can't see the performers face? Absolutely ridiculous.

edit: since when is ridic ulous a word that needs to be censored?

The guitar sound on Diamond is an actual baritone guitar. Although B's Pauls are extra long' date=' is still tunned to normal pitch, not tuned to low B or an octave down from a normal guitar like most baritone guitars (of which I own 2)

The sig will be normal scale (just with 24 frets), that is if the expect them to sell.[/quote']

He's got lots of long scales les paul's, I'm sure he just tuned one of them down - his guitars are baritones.

I'm probably completely wrong here, but isn't it not possible to have a 24fret les paul with a standard scale length? The only les paul's offered by Gibson in the past with 24 frets have been baritone models. I think if the standard scale length is to be used, the neck pickup would need to be moved.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think if the standard scale length is to be used' date=' the neck pickup would need to be moved.[/quote']

Yes, it would have to be moved a couple of centimeters. It would also be a bit of a challenge to access to those two additional frets. I can't really see them doing it that way. If I were to get one for myself, I'd be hoping for a long scale with 24 frets; i.e. the real deal, as it were.

DJ

--

Not trying to play he said she said, but there is a video on you tube of the designer of B's Custom made Les Pauls. He runs the custom shop, or atleast is one of the go to guys over there.

He talks about the difficulty of making such a larger guitar neck, but to have it playable with .10s. It is all about the location of the bridge, which has to be compensated for 24 frets, and or B's scale etc... I will dig it up at somepoint and post it (if I can find it....any bots got a link?). You can't just tune down .10 and make it a baritone, it requires much larger strings, different nut slot, saddles etc.....

here are a few examples, if you don't hear that "diamond" tone, well................

Not trying to play he said she said' date=' but there is a video on you tube of the designer of B's Custom made Les Pauls. He runs the custom shop, or atleast is one of the go to guys over there.

He talks about the difficulty of making such a larger guitar neck, but to have it playable with .10s. It is all about the location of the bridge, which has to be compensated for 24 frets, and or B's scale etc... I will dig it up at somepoint and post it (if I can find it....any bots got a link?). You can't just tune down .10 and make it a baritone, it requires much larger strings, different nut slot, saddles etc.....

here are a few examples, if you don't hear that "diamond" tone, well................

[/quote']

Good info, cheers. As I said though, he has lots of them now. I know Axl Rose ordered at least 4 for him, 2 white ones and 2 cherrybursts. Since then he's had the black headstock model made, and the guitar with the arcade switches.

He's probably taken one of those, and down tuned it for studio work (complete with new nut slots, saddles etc). Then again maybe he's using his 7 string on Diamond.

Would love to see that video, Gizzorge!

Whatever he's is using on Diamond for the lower tuned guitars it sounds incredibly good.

Reading on Wikipedia and other places they mention the tuning B,E,A,D,F#,B for a six string baritone - why not B,E,A,D,G,B? If nothing else, the latter would let you use your familiarity with the fretboard from standard tuning.

I shall try out some baritone tunings using my VG-99. It won't give the physical sensation of the different string tensions, but I can at least see if I can make heads and tails of it...

DJ

--

here you go.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwkiLjXHH7Q&feature=player_embedded

Buckethead- 3:55 point

.10- .52s tuned to Eb

Bucket uses completely different guitars (not the Pauls) for his Baritone needs. I am sure he will have to bust one out at show someday ( when Separate Sky gets into the set...... Hint Hint Big B if you are reading this!!!) You can hear the baritone's all over the Bucketheadland 2 album as well....

I always thought the sunburst he used with Guns were Standard Pauls, the look kinda small on him....

here you go.....

Thanks man!

Bucket uses completely different guitars (not the Pauls) for his Baritone needs.

Right, I see. Interesting with Sean Paden explaining that it's not made to be used as a baritone. Would it not even be possible to intonate if tuned down to B?

DJ

--

Wow' date=' so you need "guitar faces' to qualify emotion? DUDE, IT IS MUSIC!!!! YOU LISTEN WITH YOUR EARS NOT YOUR EYES! WHAT A RIDI****US STATEMENT!!!!![/quote']Look at ALL the greats!

jimi_hendrix-gal-guitar.jpg

peter-frampton-concert-pic.jpg

Pkossoff.jpg

rickey_medlocke_of_lynyrd_skynyrd_5302174.jpgSee? Emotion!

And then there's this

buckethead_jk02.jpg

Not exactly what I would call, emotional.

Showing facial emotion helps to better understand how/what people (guitarist/musicians) are feeling while they are playing, which in turn helps them better connect with their audiance. Now, I don't care how "emotional" Bucketheads "music" is, I'm just not into people who wear buckets on their heads (or masks for that matter).

I've listened to A LOT of his music, even before I had ever seen him as Buckethead, and guess what? I still didn't like it. And, I'm not saying he's a bad guitarist, but his music does absolutely nothing for me.

P.S. From a guy with "Gizz" in is user name? ALL insults will be taken lightly. I'm just sayin'.:-

Showing facial emotion helps to better understand how/what people (guitarist/musicians) are feeling while they are playing' date=' which in turn helps them better connect with their audiance. [/quote']

What a complete load of wank. By that logic you can't hear Jimi's feeling when you listen to a studio album because you can't see him. I feel sorry that you can't hear musical feeling, I really do - you're missing out.

Now I've never seen Jimi play, but I sure can hear the feeling in his music.

Any further opinion of yours will not be taken seriously, you've really dug yourself a hole this time.

I've listened to A LOT of his music' date=' even before I had ever seen him as Buckethead, and guess what? I still didn't like it. And, I'm not saying he's a bad guitarist, but his music does absolutely nothing for me.[/quote']

Lets just leave it at that shall we.

What a complete load of wank. By that logic you can't hear Jimi's feeling when you listen to a studio album because you can't see him. I feel sorry that you can't hear musical feeling' date=' I really do - you're missing out.

Now I've never seen Jimi play, but I sure can hear the feeling in his music.

Any further opinion of yours will not be taken seriously, you've really dug yourself a hole this time.

Lets just leave it at that shall we.[/quote']Opinions are like assholes...:-s

And as far as my opinions [on the subject] of Buckethead not being taken seriously? I could care less.

I just know that I like people who aren't affraid to show who they really are (live/in the studio).

And don't feel sorry for me, really! I can hear [musical feeling] just fine.

Look at ALL the greats!

jimi_hendrix-gal-guitar.jpg

peter-frampton-concert-pic.jpg

Pkossoff.jpg

rickey_medlocke_of_lynyrd_skynyrd_5302174.jpgSee? Emotion!

And then there's this

buckethead_jk02.jpg

Not exactly what I would call' date=' emotional.

Showing facial emotion helps to better understand how/what people (guitarist/musicians) are feeling while they are playing, which in turn helps them better connect with their audiance. Now, I don't care how "emotional" Bucketheads "music" is, I'm just not into people who wear buckets on their heads (or masks for that matter).

I've listened to A LOT of his music, even before I had ever seen him as Buckethead, and guess what? I still didn't like it. And, I'm not saying he's a bad guitarist, but his music does absolutely nothing for me.

P.S. From a guy with "Gizz" in is user name? ALL insults will be taken lightly. I'm just sayin'.:D [/quote']

Emotion and feeling, or just struggling to play their instrument? Lord knows those penatonic scales are hard to play!!! Why are the haters here obsessed with Balls and Ejaculate? I think that obsession leads them to post pics of their favorite players with wide open mouths. Yeah, there is certainly a direct correlation there.......

Gizzorge is a gangsta reference to Snoop Dog's lingo, understood that you maybe be too lost in the past to get that.... but if you prefer, I'll quote a Kiss song for you.... "Lick It Up" !

I think the main problem with BC/BK is' date=' music (any kind) is based on emotion/feeling, and he shows almost no emotion while playing (with the exception of the occasional chicken-like seizure). [/quote']

So what you are saying is that you need to be able to see someone making stupid faces while they play to feel the emotion? So blind people enjoy music for the emotional feelings?

Also, do you buy CD's? Can you see their struggling faces while you're listening or do you picture it while listening? If so, thats really creepy.

Everything you mentioned is about how he looks and not about his music. Quite telling actually.

I suspect those sunburst got painted white at some point....... sweet find!

As far as I know they were never painted white, he still has them. I'm remember reading somewhere that Axl ordered 4 custom guitars for Bucket: 2 sunbursts, and 2 white (one of the white ones only has 22 frets).

Archived