Gibson Brands Forums

New (to me) Hummingbird Artist

dangeroso

So I now own a Gibson acoustic to go with my LP and SG Standards. I picked up a Hummingbird Artist on eBay for a steal, and after playing a few in my local Guitar Center, am very excited about owning one. According to the seller, the condition is near mint, and the action and intonation are great.

But I noticed that the Hummingbird Artist does not appear on the Gibson products page of their site. Any idea why?

Bought mine in February, its only getting better. Been allot of discussion as to what exactly it is a mahogany Songwriter ? Not sure but I like it. Also not sure if they are still making them as I just saw a Hummingbird "Pro" listed at GC last week, which seems another non-standard Gibson model for GC. I love the cherry burst, my favorite Gibson finish. Not the loudest guitar I have ever played but sweet well balanced with a warm tone with a killer Gibson vibe. I difinitely would replace it if, gawd forbid something happens to it as did the '69 hummingbird it replaced. Just restrung mine with D'addario EXP medium phosorus bronze and really am pleased with them. Love to hear more about after you get it! Congrads, hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine.

I played one in Guitarworks about a year ago. I couldn't believe how good it sounded..... big bright and jangly and very full-sounding. I was scheming of ways to get it home but someone beat me to it. Congrats on the purchase Dangeroso and be sure to give us a review when it arrives (oh yes, and note the first song you play on it!)

But I noticed that the Hummingbird Artist does not appear on the Gibson products page of their site. Any idea why?

I believe because it's a model made specially for Guitar Center/Music 123/Musician's Friend and perhaps some of the 5 star dealers.

Is that Madagascar' date=' on the fret board ?

That's beautiful!![/quote']

I don't know. The only specs I've found don't specify the origin of the Rosewood. It may be Brazillian, but it's a very dark rosewood, with tight grain, and little variation.

Here's a quick review:

As you might expect, I spent quite a bit of time with it last night. My first impression is that it’s a bit louder than I expected it be. Apparently the X bracing is similar to that of the jumbo, putting the bracing cross point close to the soundhole, which makes the sound project more. This is great for me, because while it’s easy to play down to dynamics, it’s always a bad thing when you are over strumming or picking to gain a little volume. I tend to overdo it, and the sound suffers.

The tone is exactly what you expect from a top of the line Gibson. It’s warm, resonant, deep, and full of overtones. Intonation is good. The action is a little bit higher than I would like, but I’m going to play it while and see how it grows on me before I consider having the bridge lowered.

I’m undecided on the electronics. I like the fact that the plug is concealed in the strap button, and the volume dial is hidden in the soundhole, but the fact that you can’t change a battery with the strings in place could present a problem. Also, no on-board EQ is fine when you’re running into an amp, but if you are going into a direct box and into a board, you are putting your fate in the hands of a sound man, which can be risky.

All in all, I’m extremely happy with this guitar. It’s one of the few instruments that I have gotten that I can safely say I won’t be selling in the future. This is definitely a lifetime guitar.

Archived