Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LG1... finally got it back!

mulausk

Yes, after 4+ months of waiting, I got my 1951 Gibson LG1 back from the repair shop last week. :)/

I must say, the finished product has exceeded my expectations! Almost every brace had been loose, as it turns out; no longer the case. Crack under pickguard was repaired, and original pickguard was replaced in fine fashion. All new frets, fingerboard looks brand-spankin' new... the whole thing just looks and sounds fantastic! Well worth the wait.

Considering a LRBaggs M1 Active pickup, but in the meantime I can hardly put the thing down. Oh, and splurged on a new case for it, too. Turns out that the TKL cases used by Collings for their C10 model fits like a glove. Thanks to Mass Street Music in Lawrence for the advice, repair work, and sweet case to boot!

I'll post pics, if someone wants to guide me through that process...

I can totally understand how good that feels... although mine only took my luthier a month to fix back up to shape, I play it every day and wonder how I lived so long without a blues box like my LG1.

Photos are easy... you need to "host" your photos online somewhere like a free Photobucket account. You upload the photos to your Photobucket and then link them here using the image code. First you click the little icon in the message box here (it looks like a mountain with the sun above it and it is hiding up above the text box where you can change the font and color) then in the image box you paste your image code in and hit the post button.

I am looking forward to seeing how good yours looks now that you have it back!

I'll work on posting the pics, but it won't be tonight. We're going to be putting our terminally ill (and fading fast) Labrador out of his misery this evening. :>( Gonna be a sad night... he's been with us for 12+ years.

How does this relate to this thread? I was really looking forward to many afternoons/evenings, sitting on my front porch, picking some blues on my LG1, with my good ol' yeller dog lying at my feet. But hey, I guess that's just a blues song in the making, right?

Pics to come...

Mulausk, first - I am so sorry about your Lab. Someone smarter than I once said - "The only problem with dogs is that they are so short lived." Our Lab grew up with our kids, and it was a sad day when we had to have her put down. ... On a brighter note - your reconditioned LG1 looks like new. Certain it sounds better than new. The fret wire they used in Kalamazoo on the LG1 was heavy duty. I'm sure your luthier just leveled them. Did he replace the bridge, or bridge plate? There is nothing like an old LG1. My first love. Well, not including Joanne. Wonder if she's been to a luthier yet?

Six hours on the road is not a bad trip for a guitar buy as long as you take a friend that can drive home while you play.

....as this place seems to be a reputable store, (I already talked with the owner at length) I'm actually thinking about doing something I never did before: buying it blind and having it shipped to me.

I play fingestyle blues, and from all I've read and heard, this is a must have. :-

As has been discussed here many times, tone is very individually judged. Six hours is not a bad drive, I guess you would be safe if he gives you an inspection period that you can return, maybe a couple of days to decide. Two days will give it time to adjust from the ride.

As has been discussed here many times' date=' tone is very individually judged. Six hours is not a bad drive, I guess you would be safe if he gives you an inspection period that you can return, maybe a couple of days to decide. Two days will give it time to adjust from the ride.[/quote']

That's a good suggestion, thank you. I shall call him and see if we can work something like that out.:-

Six hours on the road is not a bad trip for a guitar buy as long as you take a friend that can drive home while you play.

I drove >12hrs roundtrip to St. Louis to pick this guitar up. Mostly that was b/c I didn't really have a lot of confidence in the seller's ability to pack/ship guitars properly. (No offense to the seller; he readily admitted that he didn't know much about guitars.) And I did consider taking a wing man with me, and then making him pilot the car on the way home. Ended up going solo, though.

If buying from a store, I wouldn't hesitate to ask him about a trial period and have him ship it. You'll probably know the first time you hear it if you like it or not, as long as you know what you're in for. The sound is what it is... a little raw & rustic. At least mine is. But I love it. I have a Huss & Dalton CM, and I would liken its tone to a filet mignon, seared perfectly in a swanky restaurant. My Gibson LG1 is like a T-bone done over charcoal on a Weber grill in the backyard. Both taste excellent! Just depends on what you're hungry for! :-

(Oh, and the headstock is original, but I too was amazed with its appearance, both pre- and post-spa treatment. Not a speck of rust on the original tuners, either.)

Thanks for the comments (and the sentiments re: my dog, too)! Play one of these guitars if you get the chance!

Pascal... make the trip. If you play fingerstyle blues, the LG1 will blow you away with vintage authentic tone. I am amazed at how accurately it covers the blues songs I know. It also is great for DADGAD tuning and Celtic type tunes. My wife swears too that the Beatles must have used a LG1 when playing Norwegian Wood in DADGAD because it nails that tone as well.

MAKE THE DRIVE YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!!! (Yes, I am shouting because I know it will be a worthwhile trip and the price seems awesome even if you have to pay for a $300 neck reset like I did.) Then get a K & K mini western pickup and plug into a nice acoustic amp or PA and be amazed my friend.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>[-o<=D> =D> =D> =D>

Pascal... make the trip. If you play fingerstyle blues' date=' the LG1 will blow you away with vintage authentic tone. I am amazed at how accurately it covers the blues songs I know. It also is great for DADGAD tuning and Celtic type tunes. My wife swears too that the Beatles must have used a LG1 when playing Norwegian Wood in DADGAD because it nails that tone as well.

MAKE THE DRIVE YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!!!! (Yes, I am shouting because I know it will be a worthwhile trip and the price seems awesome even if you have to pay for a $300 neck reset like I did.) Then get a K & K mini western pickup and plug into a nice acoustic amp or PA and be amazed my friend.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :) =D> =D> =D> =D> [/quote']

Actually Taylor Player, this one already had a neck reset, from the very detailed description the store owner gave me, they did a good job on the guitar (neck reset and bridge replacement), but he mentioned some overspray finish on the back around where the necks meets the body, which sounds minor to me as long as it doesn't kill the sound, and according to him it doesn't, I even heard a few chords from it over the phone (certainly won't make a decision based on this[-x ) but it did sound quite bright and punchy.

And the point you make about the slim neck is a valid one, which is why I definitely prefer taking the drive to get a feel of it in the flesh.....

Thanks for your input!

Pascal... make the trip. If you play fingerstyle blues' date=' the LG1 will blow you away with vintage authentic tone. I am amazed at how accurately it covers the blues songs I know. It also is great for DADGAD tuning and Celtic type tunes. My wife swears too that the Beatles must have used a LG1 when playing Norwegian Wood in DADGAD because it nails that tone as well.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D [/quote']

Well, thank you for the the little motivation boost TP, I spent the day on the road and it was well worth every minute and dollar spent... Here it is:

2i730cm.jpg

1126eiu.jpg

qqzrpu.jpg

You were right, it's a true blues box. :D

Me and her are gonna have some fun now..... :D/

Congratulations Pascal!!!!!

She is beautiful! Is the bridge an adjustable one or does it have a bone type saddle? (Hard to see from the photos).

Per Gilliangirls rules.... what was the first song you played on it? I have been learning a nice fingerstyle rendition of Deep River Blues lately and it sounds awesome on my LG1.

I have been liking Elixir PB nano's (12-53 gauge) on my LG1. I tried the DR Rares and loved them for about a week and then they lost most of the tone so back to my Elixirs I went. What are you putting on your LG1?

By the way, your body binding looks a lot like mine... I love the vintage "yellowing" of the white binding. It seems to go quite well with the faded bursts on the guitars.

Congrats Pascal' date=' what year is it?

[/quote']

Thanks, it's a 67 (I think, as I didn't even trace the serial number: 053522) ....Doesn't quite look as pristine as Mulausk's that doesn't show any of the checking that mine has on the top, but I love it like that. =P~

Thanks' date=' it's a 67 (I think, as I didn't even trace the serial number: 053522) ....Doesn't quite look as pristine as Mulausk's that doesn't show any of the checking that mine has on the top, but I love it like that. =P~ [/quote']

As do I Pascal...... the checkering and finish cracks are part of what make it a Mojo Monster! I love every "flaw" in mine as each has a tale to tell. Prior to me owning it, mine was purchased in a Pawn Shop, traveled all over Ireland for several years playing concerts and busking, and has made the local rounds here in Minneapolis as a "players" guitar. Each stop along the way added to the tone and feel of this guitar.

My LG1 will have it's debut of playing for a bunch of people I don't know when I start my "Rock Camp For Dads" class tonight. We will be getting together for the next 4-5 weeks as a group and working out the arraingments for a bunch of old classic rock songs. I am bringing my Epi SG with as well, but plan on playing my LG1 for anything I think it will work for.

Here is the list of potential songs for our concert at the end of the next 5 weeks of practice:

You Really Got Me - (Kinks or Van Halen version)

La Grange - ZZ Top

Boom Boom - John Lee Hooker (Not John Lee Walker although I bet he can play a mean version of this one!)

Honky Tonk Woman - Stones

Rebel Rebel - David Bowie

I can see the LG1 working great for Boom Boom, Honky Tonk Woman and possibly La Grange.... we will have to see once I get there.

Congratulations Pascal!!!!!

She is beautiful! Is the bridge an adjustable one or does it have a bone type saddle? (Hard to see from the photos).

Per Gilliangirls rules.... what was the first song you played on it? I have been learning a nice fingerstyle rendition of Deep River Blues lately and it sounds awesome on my LG1.

I have been liking Elixir PB nano's (12-53 gauge) on my LG1. I tried the DR Rares and loved them for about a week and then they lost most of the tone so back to my Elixirs I went. What are you putting on your LG1?

By the way' date=' your body binding looks a lot like mine... I love the vintage "yellowing" of the white binding. It seems to go quite well with the faded bursts on the guitars. [/quote']

Thanks TP!

I've been picking a little of everything on it mostly Mississippi John Hurt and Broonzy stuff.

I think the first song I played on it was driftin' blues :D

The bridge /saddle assembly is all wood (rosewood?) fixed, and comes from an old arched top guitar, don't know which, but it has a compensated saddle and the sound is awsome.

I was expecting this warm "mediumy" sound and am quite surpised by the depth of the bass that little thing spits out!

When I thump the E 6th while picking something, I can actually feel the vibrations through the body, and the projection is far more dynamic than I expected with this tiny body....

Same of the playability, this guy (whoever worked on it) did an artist job on the set up when he changed the bridge, playing it is totally effortless.

All in all it's even better than what I expected, and it's got "keeper" written all over! =P~ :) :)

The one thing I'm not crazy about is the set of medium strings on it, I play mostly L's but sometimes even XL's and those cables feel really hard to me, I took them down half a step, making much more comfy to me!

Archived