Gibson Brands Forums

Question for GillianGirl

music4love

Hi Music4love,

I love my J-185 but it sounds quite different from the Southern Jumbo. I'm so bad at describing sound but I'd have to say the J-185 is more sparkly, the highs are *prettier* but it still has bass to it. It does do strumming well but it really excels in the fingerpicking department. It's also quieter than the Southern Jumbo. Magic (the SJ) has attitude and growl but seems to specialize in the midrange tones. Magic is a strummer rather than a fingerpicker. The J-185 is in the shop at the moment getting a new saddle, nut and set-up as the action is a bit high for my playing, so I can't give you a soundclip. Here's a really really crappy video of Magic from the summertime. It was very very late on a very very hot summer night and I had just finished painting the trim on the music room so I'm wearing painting clothes! But this might give you some idea of how the SJ sounds. Please forgive the bad video (and playing!) I hope this helps.... are you trying to decide between the two of them for yourself? I'd say buy both! LOL

Edit: forgot to answer some of your questions.... if I had to choose one over the other I'd pick the Southern Jumbo, partly because I love love love the sound of it and partly because it was my first REAL guitar and it has mega sentimental value. I'd say both guitars are very versatile, but some songs sound better on the SJ and some songs sound better on the J-185.

[YOUTUBE]th_Video28.jpg[/YOUTUBE]

got the fan on in that vid GG?

I do have the fan on, so you can't hear the guitar as well unfortunately. But we broke records with our high temperatures this summer and fall. We hit 32 celsius about a week and a half ago. We haven't seen temps like that since the 1880's! 32 celsius is about 93 F. And I don't have air conditioning!

Yes ...you did look hot in the video...... :- :- :-

LOL OMG Stephen, I'm wearing an old painting shirt, torn shorts and I probably haven't brushed my hair for 10 hours at that point. You need to raise your standards! LOL LOL Even the guitar looks awful, what with the smudges all over it. (But thanks)

I do have the fan on' date=' so you can't hear the guitar as well unfortunately. But we broke records with our high temperatures this summer and fall. We hit 32 celsius about a week and a half ago. We haven't seen temps like that since the 1880's! 32 celsius is about 93 F. And I don't have air conditioning!

[/quote']

thanks for the conversion.....

I was sittin here like aaaw **** what the hell is 32C in our weird way of telling temp.

farenheit is a screwy system

I'm wearing an old painting shirt' date=' torn shorts and I probably haven't brushed my hair for 10 hours at that point.[/quote']

I, for one, would take that "look" over the Lady Gaga/Madonna/Pam Anderson "look" any day. I don't think my wife has worn makeup once in her life.

You' gotta remember she's up in Cal Gary and that's p'rt near 90° F. Them folks just can't take the heat.

Yup, she's a looker, beautiful voice... the guit tar too. I liked your vid with Elmo and Vinnie

I' date=' for one, would take that "look" over the Lady Gaga/Madonna/Pam Anderson "look" any day. I don't think my wife has worn makeup once in her life.[/quote']

I think that girls who wear (way) too much makeup look horrible....

just maskin the truth.....

Kinda looks like they got a thin coating of cake frosting

I do have the fan on' date=' so you can't hear the guitar as well unfortunately. But we broke records with our high temperatures this summer and fall. We hit 32 celsius about a week and a half ago. We haven't seen temps like that since the 1880's! 32 celsius is about 93 F. And I don't have air conditioning!

[/quote']

Down here we're dealing with 34-35 degrees at hottest.

• 1 month later...
GG --At the risk of terrible effrontery' date=' do have a Lilly video to offer for comparison's sake? Cheers, JK[/quote']

J, you've got a PM. I'll have to get something up. The guitar is back from the shop and is in fine condition. Unfortunately I'm not [biggrin] , so a clip will have to wait. I also haven't been playing for about 2 weeks (just little bits here and there but not really PLAYING) so I'm rusty. Will try and put one up next week or so.

GG' date=' when are you going to step up to the plate, and buy a nice J-200??? I mean really, the set is NOT complete!!![/quote']

Never say never haha! I still have to get me a rosewood something-rather too. And then there's the Holy Grail, the J-50. I also want to buy a horse. Gawd I'm running out of time LOL

Alright, here's a very primitive rudimentary clip of the J-185. Please note my playing sucks, largely because it just does, but in this clip it also sucks because I'm finding it hard to play this neck. It's weird because I feel like I have the control with the SJ, but with the J-185, the guitar has the control. I either need to get control over that neck or it'll have to go. I'm just playing bits and pieces of stuff.....

[YOUTUBE]th_Video53.jpg[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks, Karen, appreciate it. Watching you play there, 2 things came to mind. Is the upper right bout bothering you pick hand? The 185 seems to ride higher there than the SJ. Try a strap, it might drop down and free up your pick hand some? Second, Im wondering if the cleanness of the 185 sound (quick decay, not so many overtones, no "growl") may be making you want to move on to the next note too quickly. Seemed like less a problem when you fingerpicked. My 2 cents (worth less in Canadia). JK

Archived