Gibson Brands Forums

Shaw's

max2343

OK here is what I know about Tim Shaw Pickups

Shaw PAF were made between 1980 to 1987. Between 1980 to 1984 the pickups had the Engrave PAT # 2 737 842 on them with Ink stamp numbers.

The Ink Stamp numbers works like this. The first three numbers are indication of fro the Neck and Bridge.

example like these:

137/138

372/373

498/499

The last three indicated the month and year they were made. Mine are the 498 581 and 499 581 which means that mine were made in the May of 1981.

Now between 1985 to 1987 pickups didn't have ink stamp numbers anymore they had a Silver sticker in place.

All the Pickups have Nickle Covers on them.

I am working on getting more info out such as what guitars have the Alnico 2 Magnets and which ones have the Alnico 5 Magnets.

000_7298.jpg

000_7323.jpg

So These 1183's and 184's are just Dates and the 403 & 404's are What?

Any Ideas?

They Sound Like Low Resistance Humbuckers. Real Sweet and Well Rounded

and not like the Newer Dirtyfingers That lack any low or Mids

I'm thinking they might be Shaws.

000_7329.jpg

000_7298.jpg

000_7323.jpg

So These 1183's and 184's are just Dates and the 403 & 404's are What?

Any Ideas?

They Sound Like Low Resistance Humbuckers. Real Sweet and Well Rounded

and not like the Newer Dirtyfingers That lack any low or Mids

I thinking they might be Shaws.

000_7329.jpg

403 is the neck pickup 404 is the Bridge pickup

1183 is November 1983

184 is January 1984

and yes they are Tim Shaw pickups.

Have you take the multi-meter to the DC Resistance?

So How to you Know These are Tim Shaw Pickups?

They Don't Have the Right #'s. Can you Tell me How you Have Identified them as Shaws?

Is it just the Date of them. If they are Shaws, They Should be Pretty Rare to Be like a Dirtyfingers

Without Covers and Both rows that are Adjustable, Right

Anyways Yea I got a Meter or Two but I got to Snip a Cord

to get the Readings on the Guitar While they are Hooked up/

Soldered in. I'll do that tomorrow.

Anyways Thanx's Man for the Help.

See the picture of the pickup that I posted above that matches. The numbers are the first three are nothing more then batch numbers to indicated which position they go into. The other three numbers are the indicator of the month and year your pickups were made in.

Yes they are rare as since they haven't been made since 1987. The Manufacturing started in 1980.

Might I ask what guitar this is?

That you would have to contact Gibson about

By the way I put the serial number on guitar in the http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx and your guitar was made on February 15th' date=' 1984 at the Gibson Nashville Plant. [/quote']

Yea its a 84 and I emailed Gibson to Try and Find out if they can tell me what its made out of.

I think its Adler and with the Pickups in it Sounds real Good

• 1 month later...

I had a 59 flametop ri ( think thats what they were calling it when they came out in the early 80s.) The only guitar I regret selling. Its my avatar pic. It had the Shaw pickups and you could get that Money For Nothing tone all day. I think Knoffler had an 84 ri to record that song. I would not mind haveing a set for my 74 but the prices are getting out of hand. btw first post

• 1 month later...

I have a Shaw that has 393 1281 stamped on it. It measures 7.4k ohms. Is it a neck or bridge pickup? I was told it was a 498T from the guy I bought it from but it seems as it may be the neck pickup. It came out of a 83' LP Custom.

Archived