Gibson Brands Forums

Got an audio question for you old farts.

TommyK

Got a "never heard of the brand before probably bought new at Gambles" cassette tape recorder. The name escapes me.

It has the following jacks: the o and O represent jack holes.

o MIC O AUX> O EAR> O

Now the MIC holes are for the two pin mic cord, one for the actual mic and the other for the remote pause.

The EAR is for an ear phone.

What's the "AUX" for? Auxiliar mic? or phone?

Got a "never heard of the brand before probably bought new at Gambles" cassette tape recorder. The name escapes me.

It has the following jacks: the o and O represent jack holes.

o MIC O AUX> O EAR> O

Now the MIC holes are for the two pin mic cord' date=' one for the actual mic and the other for the remote pause.

The EAR is for an ear phone.

What's the "AUX" for? Auxiliar mic? or phone?[/quote']

Somebody correct me if I wrong, the Aux is for Axillary. It is used to add another audio component like a turntable, radio or 8 track player.

More than likely an aux in' date=' Tommy, like a line-in. Is there a control for "aux"?[/quote']

Doesn't appear to be. Just the normal piano key like push buttons., Start, stop, record, play, pause.. not in that order probably a Fast Fwd and a Rewind too. and a volume control wheel.

Doesn't appear to be. Just the normal piano key like push buttons.' date=' Start, stop, record, play, pause.. not in that order probably a Fast Fwd and a Rewind too. and a volume control wheel. [/quote']

Then it's very possible the aux-in would take priority if something's plugged into the jack. Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out if you have some plugs and a line-out source from something. Plug it into the hole and set the recorder to "record" and start playing something on the source while adjusting whatever volume controls you find on the recorder. If you get a signal on the vu-meter/led, you're good to go.

My guess is that Aux is a line level input and Mic is a mic level input. Mic level is usually around 40db lower than line level. It assumes your line level signal is a lot louder.

"Line Level"?

Depends on how old the cassette player is.. If it's from the mid to late 80s Aux could well be computer input feed. Older PCs (trs80s, and such) used casette players as "storage"..

Oh..... and this for the old fart comment..anim_35.gif...anim_35.gif...anim_35.gif

trs80pic.jpg

"Line Level"?

Line level is a term used to denote the strength of an audio signal used to transmit analog sound information between audio components such as CD and DVD players, TVs, audio amplifiers, and mixing consoles, and sometimes MP3 players.

In contrast to line level, there are weaker audio signals, such as those from microphones and instrument pickups, and stronger signals, such as those used to drive headphones and loudspeakers.

Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Depends on how old the cassette player is.. If it's from the mid to late 80s Aux could well be computer input feed. Older PCs (trs80s' date=' and such) used casette players as "storage"..

Oh..... and this for the old fart comment..anim_35.gif...anim_35.gif...anim_35.gif

Right back at me. I are one of them. I remember those cassette storage units.

trs80pic.jpg

THAT'S! IT!.. well almost. Mine doesn't have the counter on it and most definitely doesn' t have a vu gauge.

Boy, RadioShack sure had the world by the tail for a while when they were sellin' them homeowner grade computers, didn't they? For what? 6 months maybe? I think they sold off their Leather business to finance their foray into the electronic age.

'Bout 1977 through 1986. Then they started on pocket "pcs".

Texas Instruments (ti99 4/a), Commodore vic and 64... Heathkit...even IBM and whoever else was making pcs then used cassettes..

Tandy's still around www.tandyleatherfactory.com... Not sure who owns it.

Somebody correct me if I wrong' date=' the Aux is for Axillary. It is used to add another audio component like a turntable, radio or 8 track player. [/quote']

Yup.

When I was a kid, I had a table top cassette recorder and used to record my records to tape by using a cable running from the headphones output of the stereo receiver to the Aux input of the tape recorder. I'd use the receiver's volume control to adjust the recording level.

</oldfart>

So.. I could use my much more convenient for recording pocket, micro-cassette recorder to record on the road. The then patch it it's phone socket into the Aux of the old, full sized cassette, then record to the larger format which is more convenient for playing back.

Cool.

BTW, I remember, years ago, my oldest cousin, being the oldest of us cousins, was the first to have a real job. He worked at a mall store. Among the 'stuff' he bought, with his new found wealth (still living at home) was one of them new fangled tape recorders which had the tape reels inside a plastic case. Even showed us how to break the tab off to keep from taping over the tape accidentally. I'm fairly certain he bought it at Sears and Roebuck's. I'm reckoning it was back in the late 60's.

BTW, My old cassette tape machine doesn't have a Pause button. Play, Record, Stop/Eject, Fast Forward, Rewind.

So.. I could use my much more convenient for recording pocket' date=' micro-cassette recorder to record on the road. The then patch it it's phone socket into the Aux of the old, full sized cassette, then record to the larger format which is more convenient for playing back.

Cool..[/quote']

Tommy.... A minor word of caution... Some of those old casette decks were not STEREO..

BTW' date=' I remember, years ago, my oldest cousin, being the oldest of us cousins, was the first to have a real job. He worked at a mall store. Among the 'stuff' he bought, with his new found wealth (still living at home) was one of them new fangled tape recorders which had the tape reels inside a plastic case. Even showed us how to break the tab off to keep from taping over the tape accidentally. I'm fairly certain he bought it at Sears and Roebuck's. I'm reckoning it was back in the late 60's.[/quote']

Reel to Reel.. Had a Teac.. Much like this one.

teac002.jpg

Archived