Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson

Gibson CS

Hey guys,

I have a rather interesting situation, I just started playing about 6 months ago, I didn't know what I was doing when I bought my guitar (I just wanted a whammy bar, 'cause I thought they were cool) and I got a $200 Fender Strat.

Well through an interesting turn of events for my birthday my parents want to get me "A guitar that I won't need to update until I go platinum." so basically, I have an unlimited budget.

I know a reasonable amount about guitars, I know I want a Les Paul.

which brings us to you guys, what is a good LP for my situation.

Thanks

-oilpit-

Lucky kid.

I'm not going to even make a suggestion. Honestly, if your parents buy you an expensive Les Paul - you won't appreciate it. Work your way up to it.

My parents bought me a Fender Squire Stratocaster when I was a kid. I couldn't imagine them buying me a $2,000 or even a $3,000 + guitar.

My parents bought me a Fender Squire Stratocaster when I was a kid. I couldn't imagine them buying me a $2' date='000 or even a $3,000 + guitar.[/quote']

Wow! You got a Fender? Even a Squire. Back when I was a kid and had to walk barefoot in the snow uphill to school, Fenders were at least considered real guitars. I would have died for a Fender. When I was a Kid, my

first electric was a Tiesco.

3 pick-ups, bound neck, and a whammy bar.

Looking back with a little education under my belt, I would still love to have that Tiesco back.

They really were some pretty cool easy playing decent sounding guitars.

I guess in reality I sort of wish I was still a kid.

I would wait a little before investing in an LP. I started with an no-name piece of junk in 1984--then an Ibanez, then sold that and bought an Ovation acoustic, then sold that and bought a Fender Squire (which I hated), then sold that and bought a Tacoma acoustic. I then sold that and my wife just bought me an LP Standard for my 40th birthday. So it took me a long time to graduate to the LP.

In addition, my taste in music changed along the way--from metal to new age to the grateful dead to classic rock and to all kinds of stuff.

Kind of related, but definitely to the point. I was playing golf the other day and ended up playing with a fourteen year old playing with a brand new set of TP Taylormades. If you don't know anything about golf, these are the Gibson Customs of golf gear. But anyway, when I asked him about them, he said his mom and dad bought them for him. I said how nice for him as I watched him throw a $400 driver into the woods after an errant shot. It took me 40 years before I would even think I buying a set that cost half of what was just given to him.

The moral of this story is to learn how to appreciate what you have, and you definitely will when you bust your butt for years to finally get what you really always wanted.

Sorry about sounding like I'm preaching, but I do feel strongly about this subject, just ask my son.

If you have a unlimited budget , I'm thinkin a 57 Original Gold Top .

Or...you don't need to go all designer ~n~ **** to have a nice piece , Don't buy any guitar because someone said this or that , I'm assuming your in your teens somewhere, and probably don't know exactly what you want yet .

So play a bunch of em don't rush it and and choose the one 'YOU" want .

I realize how my post sounded,

the truth is that I am not some spoiled rich kid. (I promise)

I don't get an allowance, I have to buy my own clothes and food, if I'm not at home. (for the food)

The reason that my parents want to splurge and get me a nice guitar is that they are REALLY excited I'm into something that doesn't involve a controller and a T.V.

This was a big deal when they said I could get a nice guitar.

I appriciate the warnings, but I am going to jump at the opprotunity and hope it doesn't corrupt me for the rest of my life.

OK im gonna list Cheap through to Expensive but by no means dose the cheap mean "this guitar sucks".

Cheapest - Epiphone LP Ultra

Cheapest - Gibson Les Paul Studio

Moderate - Gibson Les Paul Standard 50/60 neck (meh your choice get a feel off em see what works for you)

Moderate - Gibson Les Paul Supreme

Expensive - Gibson Les Paul VOS 60 standard

Expensive - Gibson Les Paul VOS 59 Standard

i mean thats a very vague description at best to be honest but thought i'd throw some names out there for you to start looking. Now the previous post have advised you not to bother yet but thats kinda unfair of em to assume you'd have no respect for the LP how can they know, they dont know you right.

But i will say this, that owning a Gibson Les Paul will not make you a super guitar god! but it is a solid investment if you seriously intend to dedicate your life to mastering the Guitar. Sure perhaps your not ready for a Gibson yet but never let some one tell you what to do its your parents money and if they believe in you enough to invest in your passion then i say go for it.

My personal suggestion for you mate would be to go with a Studio then bleed em' dry for a killer 1,000W tube amp >O:) just kidding.

P.s Fender sucks for life

P.p.s my first guitar was a 10 pound nylon string guitar at the age of 9 :s followed by a Honda Strat at 11 lol Honda strat wtf :<.

Maybe I was harsh, too. I pictured Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince when I read the original post. O:)

Really, a bunch of strangers throwing out LP models at you accomplishes nothing. I say you should buy a Standard - because BurstBucker Pros are sweet pickups...and it's a Standard! But you might try it out and not like it for whatever reason.

The best thing you can do for yourself is go to a local Gibson dealer, spend a few hours there and try every LP you can. Now if you're young, I doubt the sales people will let you grab every Les Paul in the store. So, let them know what you're doing and that you are serious about buying one.

Also, spend some time on Gibson's website so you can familiarize yourself with the different models. So, when the sales guy says "this is a LP Classic" or "this one's a Standard with a 60's neck" you'll know what he's talking about.

Every Les Paul will feel & sound different - don't let the sales guy tell you otherwise. I'm personally against internet purchases because LPs are made by hand, so they're not all made equally.

...and I know you said you want a Les Paul, but don't exclude other guitars...SGs are awsome too!

Sorry if I come as mean in saying this, but man, if I met a kid who had only been playing for six months and had a Gibson - anything other than a Melody Maker or a 'Faded' model - I'd probably beat him up. A Gibson is one of those things you have to earn: with sweat, callouses, blood, and countless hours and hours of play and expertise. You gotta earn those stripes with some combat duty, y'know what I mean?

Furthermore, you won't appreciate how kickass a Gibson truely is only after six months. But that's something you can deal with.

That being said, I understand how ecstatic you must be, it's a sweet opportunity. There's only one guitar you NEED, that's a Gibson Les Paul Standard. No more, no less. It's called a 'Standard' for a reason. Anything less, like a Studio model...well...will always be just a little sub-par to a Standard (even if it's just a stigma from us snobs). Anything more (such as Customs, etc) is merely more 'bling' (awesome yeah, but I doubt you're trying to take your parents to the cleaners...I dunno, maybe you are).

Just make sure you have a good amp to go with it. Maybe try talking your parents into one of those well. You could try negotiating and going with a cheaper guitar to get a sweet amp.

Also, I would try eBay for the gear. You'll get much more bang for your buck, especially with the economy going downhill the way it is.

And I would lay low for a while, you don't want to be that n00b with a shiny Gibson. Rich kid or not, it won't make you many friends.

Good luck!

I realize how my post sounded' date='

the truth is that I am not some spoiled rich kid. (I promise)

I don't get an allowance, I have to buy my own clothes and food, if I'm not at home. (for the food)

The reason that my parents want to splurge and get me a nice guitar is that they are REALLY excited I'm into something that doesn't involve a controller and a T.V.

This was a big deal when they said I could get a nice guitar.

I appriciate the warnings, but I am going to jump at the opprotunity and hope it doesn't corrupt me for the rest of my life.

[/quote']

You want a LP? Go play some................play LOTS of them. If you find one that sets your hair on fire, buy it.

You don't have to be an old jaded pro to appreciate one.

Boy im glad to hear that... go for a gibson, a vintage mahogany is a good guitar, the sg faded too... then you have the studio, the standard faded... all very good guitars. If you can afford it, then you could look at more expensive models but, you should look at a decent amp at the same time, cause if you have a crappy amp it doesnt matter if you have a 25K guitar, it will sound like a crappy amp.

So get a vintage mahogany, studio or standard faded and try to convince them to spend the rest on a nice amp, for home use: if you go for a tube amp no more than 20 watts, if you go for a solid state it doenst matter much, but make sure you stay away from multieffects and such things, as they can be very disapointing if you dont know what to do with what.

When you get your guitar, please stop by and post some pics of her.

One last advice: keep away from "guitar hero"! I hink by now you have realized the real thing is way better

Damn... some people might not admit it but i will: i would have loved to have my parents give me a nice guitar when i was your age. Congrats!

I think that you have received some very valuable advice here. My next guitar is going to be a LP as well and I’ve done just what a lot of these folks have suggested; I’ve been playing a lot of different models and I can attest to the fact that not all of them would be for me. Then again I’ve played a few that were absolutely smoke’n machines and they were mostly the standard models that I liked the most. And as for the EMG 81 and 85 pickups in them, well….they freak’n scream through a decent amp like nothing I’ve ever played before, great for hard rock and metal! So basically I’m saying, if you get a LP, get a LP, I’m sure you will never regret it.

Rock On!!!

Vern

Damn... some people might not admit it but i will: i would have loved to have my parents give me a nice guitar when i was your age. Congrats!

My dad was a Honky-Tonk player so I grew up with tons of great guitars. Gibson's and Martin's out the wazoo.

I was playin' a Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman when I was 9.

Nearly every time Gibson put out something new Dad would find a way to get it.

Now keep in mind, prices were a lot less back in the late 60', and 70's (but compared to today, probably about the same.) We weren't rich by any means. My folks were steel foundry workers. I never did figure out he could afford them.

I digress.

My point was I didn't really appreciate them when he bought them.

Where my appreciation for them came in was, my dad had a issue with whiskey.

The more he drank, the more he drank, and the more he drank, the less his fingers worked.

He also had a bit of a temper, so needless to say there was a lot of expensive firewood around the house.

Dad didn't even know who Pete Townsend was. But to me he was the original Pete.

Again I digress.

Anyway, so every time he busted one up, my appreciation of these fine vintage guitars deepened.

It's too late to make a long story short, but my point is this:

Let your parents buy it, but don't take their gift for granted. Cherish it. They will be gone some day, and so will whatever guitar they buy you. But those feelings will live in you forever. That can never be replaced.

(soap box mode off)

Go for it.

But show your parents how much you appreciate it. Also, realize how lucky you are - I think it is obvious to you by now that not everyone's parents would buy them something like this. That does not mean that you do not deserve it or that you will not appreciate it. My kids are not old enough yet but if they were, I would be hesitant to buy them a $2500 guitar for fear that they would not take care of it/appreciate it. That does not mean they are bad kids or spoiled kids, it just means that they are kids like we all were once and don't have the perspective that someone older may have.

So I say go for it but read these forums and the gibson website to learn as much as you can about your purchase. Realize that you are getting a guitar that a lot of people dream of owning but can not afford to. I am 38 and have been playing since my early 20's and I'm finally at the stage where I think I can afford/appreciate one....

You may not feel confidant enough to try a bunch of them in a music store so ask the sales person to demonstrate the differences in them if that's the case. Like others have said, a good amp is necessary as well.

Let your parents buy it' date=' but don't take their gift for granted. Cherish it. They will be gone some day, and so will whatever guitar they buy you. But those feelings will live in you forever. That can never be replaced.[/quote']

Well said sir.

Dude I'd get a LP that was made the same year as you were born, You'll appreciate when you get old Like me. I wish I would have gotten a 1962 LP when I was young or even kept my first SG that I traded a motorcycle back in 76 for...Thats something you will be able to pass on to your kids.. Rock On Dude

Archived