Gibson Brands Forums

First Gibson

Gibson CS

My best suggestion is try out different Gibsons and find the one that you like the best. My first Guitar was an Epiphone Iommi G-400 SG and then about 7 months later I got the Gibson Custom Shop Iommi SG (I am not some rotten rich kid either). I have to work for my money, mostly by getting good grades in school. I would also like to address this issue regarding buying an expensive Guitar. . . .

Now most of the time when someone bys an expensive Guitar or even Amp they tend to have one main priority, keep it in near perfect condition. This would mostly be because you want to keep the Guitar's value high. To me its sort of a waste because if you are that into the money then look at it like this. Lets say you buy a Guitar for $2,800.00 and it is said that in 40 years it will be worth over $30,000.00. Well I guarantee that the guy who didn't buy the Guitar and just saved his money up until that point will surely have a lot more money. Guitars are meant to be played, not thrown in a display case or in a closet. I will never sell my Gibson Iommi SG so keeping it perfect for the next 20 years to see its value is a waste for me. I am a Guitar Player, not collector. I play my Guitars to their fullest and in doing so I am truely getting all of the Guitars' value rather than the guy who just threw it in a case. So if you get an expensive Gibson and ding it up a bit, no worries. Its just all meant to happen with a truely played and loved Instrument.

All right. I have a plan. Get this and then post lots of pictures! Then it's good for everybody!

No, seriously, go to a local guitar store that carries Gibsons, and try out every guitar in the store (every single one, even if it's the same model). Trust me, if you tell the people there that you're looking for a new guitar, and that money's not an issue. They will be MUCH MORE than happy to allow you to play every guitar there. If you're looking for a new guitar, it will probably take you a bit of looking and searching, but after you finally find one that plays, looks, and sounds like a dream, that is the guitar for you. If money isn't an issue, you can't possibly let one of these three components slide, because if you have no budget, it has to be perfect.

If I were you, I would get the Les Paul standard.

You know we shouldn't be mean to this person. If he wants a guitar that can cost anywhere from 800-10,000 dollars we should not be mean but we should tell him he should go for it. If you were playing for 7 months on some piece of ****, you would do anything to probably get a Les Paul. If opportunity knocks, and even if you can only play Iron Man, you should get whatever you want!

"One last advice: keep away from "guitar hero"! I hink by now you have realized the real thing is way better"

If only someone had told me that earlier.

I have an interesting history with guitar hero, I wasted WAY to much time on it. But I do have to thank it for getting me off hip-hop and rap, I used to conform to the "new" "cool" music as it came out. However after hearing Sweet Child o' Mine, Hells Bells and other such classics it got me saying I want to do this for real.

I can tell you that I only play guitar hero if I am at a party or another similar event.

Also, THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!

I really do appriciate it, I started looking at SG's as well and now I'm really confused. So what I'm gonna do is go to my local Guitar Center early Saturday and leave when it closes! I'm just gonna play every freakin guitar they have and choose the right one.

Thanks again,

-OILPIT-

Hey guys' date='

I have a rather interesting situation, I just started playing about 6 months ago, I didn't know what I was doing when I bought my guitar (I just wanted a whammy bar, 'cause I thought they were cool) and I got a $200 Fender Strat.

Well through an interesting turn of events for my birthday my parents want to get me "A guitar that I won't need to update until I go platinum." so basically, I have an unlimited budget.

I know a reasonable amount about guitars, I know I want a Les Paul.

which brings us to you guys, what is a good LP for my situation.

Thanks

-oilpit-[/quote']

OMG!!!!!!!!!!your parents are buying you a Gibson after six months of playing!!!!ive been playing two years and im not even close to a Gibson.and unlimited budget.your one lucky kid.a Les Paul standard or custom are guitars you NEVER need to update.but try them first,especially if your goin for the standard.

I am just responding to the people that said to get an awesome amp.

a few months after my Strat I got an AMAZING deal on an older Fender Cyber Twin, I got if for $125 (I paid for it. lol) and it makes ANYTHING sound good.

wait......is it sacreligious to play a Gibson on a Fender amp?

I really do appriciate it, I started looking at SG's as well and now I'm really confused. So what I'm gonna do is go to my local Guitar Center early Saturday and leave when it closes! I'm just gonna play every freakin guitar they have and choose the right one.

Very intelligent strategy! Consider the LP Vintage Mahogany as several other people have suggested instead of the Standard, it's lighter on your parents wallet and you great tone from the Burstbuckers. You give up a little bit of pretty wood and get a slightly darker tone from the VM. The SG side could be a little more expensive, and it depends on what you're going to play but the 61 reissue is really nice, but probably not as versatile as the LP.

oilpit, no it's not sacrilege. You can use a Fender amp. I don't even know what a Cyber Twin is...is it a tube amp? If not, you'll want a tube amp.

As I mentioned above, SG's are awesome guitars, but they definetely aren't as versatile as a LP. Tony Iommi & Angus Young play nothing but SGs...so that should stand for something.

I own both and 9 times out of 10, I play a Lester...there's something about them, I can't put my finger on it. #-o

Another thing to look for is chambering. You'll notice it...LPs weigh a ton...chambered one don't. They're basically gutted. That's not a bad thing if you like the sound...I have a chambered LP and it's great. But I personally prefer the sound and feel of heavier guitars...like 10 pounders!! My Custom is just under 10 lbs and I freakin' love it. A chambered LP is around 6 lbs.

You'll notice the weight difference right way. Some people like chambering, some don't. Usually, it's the old school players that don't. All 2007 Gibson USA LPs are chambered - anything 2006 and before is not and the 2008s are offered as both (I think?).

Truth is Gibson started chambering, enough people complained about it, and now they're moving away from it. Some say Gibson started using cheaper and heavier wood and in order to compensate, they gutted them. So, when the GC sales guy says "here, this one's really light" you know why.

I really do appriciate it' date=' I started looking at SG's as well and now I'm really confused. So what I'm gonna do is go to my local Guitar Center early Saturday and leave when it closes! I'm just gonna play every freakin guitar they have and choose the right one. [/quote']

AMEN TO THAT!!!

SG's are very nice, and so are LP's. But two different sounds. Two different feels. They're apples and oranges, both delicious, but completely different. The matter of SG's and LP's is personal preference. My personal prefernce is the SG. But many people can give a good argument over a better guitar(except my brother claiming his $150 Ibanez is better than my Gibson). Play them, and tell us what you think. And playing a Gibson through a Fender amp is perfectly fine.

Lot's of good advice in the previous posts.

However, I did the same for my kid as your parents are going to do for you. He is eleven years old and has a Les Paul Standard Silverburst, a Marshall JVM410H amplifier and a Marshall 1960A speaker cabinet. He started out with the Squier Strat Pack. A few months and several exchanges later we ended up with the current gear.

He's been taking lessons for a year now and I'm sure that part of the reason he still loves playing guitar is due to his gear. I thought it best to go all out and get excellent gear up front rather than end up with a bunch of crappy guitars under his bed (money down the drain) as we eventually upgraded every six months or year.

If possible, try to get a tube amp with your Gibson. Makes a world of difference. My advice would be to get a Standard - as there is no need for a Custom Shop guitar, yet.

Good luck and keep taking lessons. Don't let your parents down by quitting after they've made such an investment.

Let your parents buy it' date=' but don't take their gift for granted. Cherish it. They will be gone some day, and so will whatever guitar they buy you. But those feelings will live in you forever. That can never be replaced.

(soap box mode off)[/quote']

Man you are right, and well about your dad being a guitar player and having nice stuff around in the house, well i wasnt as lucky! im the first musician in my family (everyone else is just bussiness, bussiness, bussiness so imagine their reaction when they sent me to DC to study international bussiness and i came back with a guitar and amp!

I'll say it again man, you are very lucky (and the kid is lucky too, as even today my family cant understand why someone would waste money on a nice guitar (or even a cheap one!)).

oilpit, no it's not sacrilege. You can use a Fender amp. I don't even know what a Cyber Twin is...is it a tube amp? If not, you'll want a tube amp.

The Cyber Twin is a hybrid; tube pre-amp and SS power stage along with DFX and amp modelling. 2X12, 2X65 watt. Listed for about $1500 new, street price was around $1K. The newer "SE" model sells for $1400.

Carlos Santana uses one as a practice amp so it can't be too bad!

Lot's of good advice in the previous posts.

Good luck and keep taking lessons. Don't let your parents down by quitting after they've made such an investment.

I'm glad someone who is a parent said it. Every one has been (or still is) a teenager and know that interests can change real quick. You can be really into something one month and then bored of it then next. Don't blow it.

Archived