Post your V

Laney1566

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Twiz.

The V90 has twoEMGs that I am going to swap out and the white '67 RI actually has a lone Seymour Duncan P-rail. By default you have a fairly hot humbucker. Pull the volume pot and you have a P90. Pull the tone pot and you have a single coil. Pull both and you have the Humbucker out of phase.

That axe is wild though. He even pulled the Maestro too. I added a NOS German Schaller TOM & Tailpiece.

• 5 weeks later...

thanks twiz! it's the cherry finish, the pic is a bit dark in fact

i'm going to feedback you about the pickup change for sure!

i've got with me a bare knuckle pickup set (the mule neck and black dog bridge) and was going to install the bursbucker set of my LP on the V and then place the bare knuckles in my LP...

but the LP sounds so freakin' awesome with the BB set... what if I install the bare knuckles in this V???

...what if I install the bare knuckles in this V???

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't checked this part of the forums in a bit.

Hmmm, that would be the first I've heard of a V with Bare Knuckles pups. If you like the sound of your LP with the Burstbuckers, I wouldn't change 'em. Maybe try the Bare Knuckles in your V, and if you don't like it, get a set of Burst Buckers? I'd get a set with the covers. -Just my opinion though. I think V's look sweet with covered pickups.

thanks twiz! it's the cherry finish, the pic is a bit dark in fact

i'm going to feedback you about the pickup change for sure!

i've got with me a bare knuckle pickup set (the mule neck and black dog bridge) and was going to install the bursbucker set of my LP on the V and then place the bare knuckles in my LP...

but the LP sounds so freakin' awesome with the BB set... what if I install the bare knuckles in this V???

Bare Knuckles go great with a Gibson, you can't go wrong with them. What are you running the V through, amp wise?

V-man, those are all awesome. The one on the left with the P90(??? I can't tell) is really cool. Kinda reminds me of this V Leslie West played:

WestV.jpg

WestpicV.jpg

I want to recreate that V but it got be thinking, isn't the action going to be quite a bit high? Because the P-90 it self is a pretty thick pickup and i believe he has it laying on the pickguard. Worth a try if i ever get my hands on a Faded V though.

I want to recreate that V but it got be thinking, isn't the action going to be quite a bit high? Because the P-90 it self is a pretty thick pickup and i believe he has it laying on the pickguard. Worth a try if i ever get my hands on a Faded V though.

You know, that's right. I never thought of that. The action on Mr. West's V had to be really high, or the strings were right on top of the pickup. Hmmmm. Weird. :-k

For a more practical (and probably easier) solucion check out page 8 of this thread and look at V-man's axes. One of them has a Seymour Duncan P-rail. Pretty slick. -It's even the same size as a humbucker. If you wanted a cleaner look, I guess you'd need a new pick guard with just one hole for a pup. Or you could just leave the hole in there and get some Malcolm Young mojo while you're at it.

If you do decide to go the authentic route and make an accurate copy of Leslie's V, keep us posted on your progress. I bet it will be really cool.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't checked this part of the forums in a bit.

Hmmm, that would be the first I've heard of a V with Bare Knuckles pups. If you like the sound of your LP with the Burstbuckers, I wouldn't change 'em. Maybe try the Bare Knuckles in your V, and if you don't like it, get a set of Burst Buckers? I'd get a set with the covers. -Just my opinion though. I think V's look sweet with covered pickups.

I just set in the Bare Knuckles. The Mule neck and Black Dog Bridge. I'm astonished with the result in the neck position! It sounds BIG. Woody, warm, dynamic, beautiful pickup.

When it comes to the Black Dog, it sounds VERY midrangey with the Flying V. Before thinking on changing it, gotta change the capacitor and pots and play with it for a while, since these are my first impressions and I played it clean and with a Keeley-Boss SD-1. My amp is single channel and I can't crank it up at home, so gotta wait 'till I play with my band.

here it is:

DSC00224.jpg

Bare Knuckles go great with a Gibson, you can't go wrong with them. What are you running the V through, amp wise?

I'm running it through a single-channel 30 watt tube amp, with four EL84 in the power amp and 12AX7 in the preamp. It's made by a brazilian manufacturer called AcedoAudio and it resembles a Vox voiced amp.

I'm impressed with the sound quality of the Bare Knuckles, especially the Mule.

How much work is involved in changing the pick guard on the 68 Flying V?

It's not very difficult, but can get tricky fast if you don't keep track of everything. You'll have to take off the strings, remove the bridge and tail piece (either tape them back in place once the strings are off, or measure their height with a machinist scale so you don't have to tweak too much once you put strings back on). Carefully remove the volume and tone knobs, remove the screws holding the pick guard to the body. -When you take the screws off, I'd recommend covering any exposed part of the body with a towel or something in case you drop the screw driver. You don't want to put a ding in the finish. Once the screws are out, slowly pull the pick guard off. The pickups and electronics (the pots and switch) will be attached to the pick guard. There is going to be a wire going into the body of the guitar, don't touch that, it's the ground. Don't let the pick guard hang by that wire or anything like that. Taking the pickups out is a little tricky, the two screws on either side need to be removed completely. Make sure you don't lose the springs. -The springs keep the pickups from sinking inside the body once the pickups are installed. I'd recommend taking a height measurement of the pickups (how much they stick up above the surface of the pick guard) as well before you remove them. To remove the pots I use a small ratchet. Be careful that the pots don't spin when you're loosening the nut, you don't want to damage a solder joint. Just take your time, and be careful. Keep track of all the little parts as you remove them.

You can probably find videos on how to do this stuff on YouTube. If you're not comfortable with this, you should go to a luthier and have them do it for you. It shouldn't cost too much.

How do you like the Floyd?

It's great.

I've always wanted to own a guitar with one, and what better than a Gibson V :lol:

I'll admit it's been a while since I've played with Floyds on other guitars, but it seems a bit heavy to me. And the bar keeps hanging loose too easily when I want it to stay put close to my picking hand.

maybe it's something I can tinker with, but on the whole it's a great addition to a great instrument. The extra body cavity for the springs makes it really lightweight too.

If it's a regular floyd, you should be able to hand tighten the nut that is around the arm down to where it creates enough friction so the arm stays where you put it. I haven't played one of these but I've had a few floyds in my life, only one at the moment.

If it's a regular floyd, you should be able to hand tighten the nut that is around the arm down to where it creates enough friction so the arm stays where you put it. I haven't played one of these but I've had a few floyds in my life, only one at the moment.

Yea, I keep doing that. guess I'll just have to tighten it harder...

• 6 months later...

Archived