Gibson Brands Forums

Post your V

Laney1566

I finally joined the club

F95DD839-13F6-462E-8BCC-35ED585A4327-18586-000013BF16F6B762.jpg

0B0B9AD9-93CA-45D8-A694-636B13227EDA-18586-000013BF3F1405B2.jpg

Hey Riffster,

Cool looking guitar.

How do You like the phenolic fingerboards? I don't have a real Gibson/Epiphone dealer in town here. I have always wanted to try that guitar but never ran across one. I have great respect for the quality Epi has been putting into their higher end guitars. I have an Epi Custom SG with the Dirty Fingers pups and play the heck out of it. Anyhoo that phenolic looks like it might have less friction than wood. Making bends easier but control of 1st and 6th string fingering a little harder. Let me know your thoughts.

Rewd.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fingerboard is slick but not glass slick, I would say it is approximate to those ebony boards that are super hard and shiny.

To me it does not feel quite like wood on the fingertips but it does not feel cheap, for lack of a better.

So, yes the fingerboard allows for faster playing and no, it is not so slick that you would have controls issues with the 1st and 6th strings. Jeff Waters plays a lot of Thrash Metal with those galloping rhythms, it would be a big problem if that 6th string was hard to control.

The 14 degree radius of the fingerboard is cool too.

Here are other things I have noticed on this guitar, at least in mine.

- It is neck heavy because the body is very light, it has Grover tuners and because it is a 24-fret the front strap button is further back. All this things create more leverage effect on the neck. They tried to solve this by placing the back strap button under the V fin but it is still neck heavy.

I moved the strap button to one of the screws that holds the input jack. While I am enlarging that hole at least I am not drilling a new one. This improved balance by about 50% to 70%.

I do not want a gripping strap, don't like the feeling so I am going to add weight to the strap on the back side.

- The control cavity is shielded with conductive paint and aluminum foil in the cavity cover. Nice.

- The serial number indicates this guitar is made in the Unsung factory in Korea, at least based on the Epi forum info.

- The pickups on mine have the single screw row rather than the two rows of adjustable screws you see on some pics.

- I am not falling in love with the pickups, I have tweaked the height and amp settings and while they sound OK the low-midrange is crazy, they do not have a lot of gain either so while they do have a hard rock/metal tone they do not drive my amps past crunch, an overdrive pedal is a must to get that push.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

A dream comes true!

I've been looking for one of these for a long time. I would have taken a black one but they made only 40 of them, and only in 2002. They are rare and sell for very high prices.

Now, some days ago I had the occasion to buy one. It's white, it's beautiful. They are quite rare here in my country. It's the first one I've seen for sale here in Italy.

The body is made of one big piece of mahogany.

The neck is big, is huge....is MASSIVE! One of the fattest neck I've ever seen in my life. I love big neck so it's very confortable to me.

She has two Classic '57s, an ABR-1 bridge and 500k pots.

Trust me on this, in real life is 10.000 times better than in pics.

2jayhiu.jpg

euhn2b.jpg

Bye!

Francesco

2jayhiu.jpg

euhn2b.jpg

Bye!

Francesco

Hey Paison,

A belated Happy New year to you. I hope things are all well in Italy. I love that V. It is a most excellent looking mean machine. Is that one those 58' or 59' reissues that came out in limited edition? I can tell you are stoked about it! Good to see you are alive and well!

Keep on Rockin Bro!

Rewd

Here's a pic of my newer used non Gibson guitar. It's a Schecter. It is all mahogany and has 24 frets, ebony FB, Grover tuners, Floyd Rose, Seymour Duncan Blackout pups, satin finish and a sleek slim tapered speed neck. It's pretty much a bare bones hard rocker/ metal guitarists dream machine except it was Mfd. in Korea and assembled in USA. It was hard to pass up for $375. It has no scratches or dings.

DSCN7917_zpsef196212.jpg

Block inlays!!! Very nice. [thumbup] That's a sweet rig you have to play it through also. Happy riffing man.

Thanks Twiz! Happy riffing too ;)

Hey Paison,

A belated Happy New year to you. I hope things are all well in Italy. I love that V. It is a most excellent looking mean machine. Is that one those 58' or 59' reissues that came out in limited edition? I can tell you are stoked about it! Good to see you are alive and well!

Keep on Rockin Bro!

Rewd

Hey, how are you? It's a long time since the last time we talked! Happy 2013 to you too!

It's not a korina reissue. You are probably referring to this one that is quite similar. Yes, the body shape is the same of the '58 Korina's but mine is called Flying-V Custom. She has the same binding, appointments and split diamond of a Les Paul Custom. Gibson started making them in 2002. Mine is a 2008. You if you go here and navigate to "gallery" and then to "2002 Custom Shop Flying V's" you can see them in other colours too :)

And what about you new axe? It's really cool whit that opaque black finish. Never heard of those Duncan Blackouts. Are they active pups like EMG?

Francesco

And what about you new axe? It's really cool whit that opaque black finish. Never heard of those Duncan Blackouts. Are they active pups like EMG?

Francesco

Hey Bro,

Good to hear from you!

That V is actually only new to me. It was used but in perfect condition. The blackout pups are Seymour Duncan's active pups. They have a lot more growl to them than EMG 81's. The blackouts are not as bright as Emg 81's but are perfect for scorching rhythm tracks and good leads. Emg 81's are kind of one trick ponies made for lead tracks. You can go on youtube and find side by side comparisons if you like and judge for yourself.

I really like your new V. I have the 57 classic pups in my SG3. They are versatile for sure. You can get real Bluesy with them or crank it out get a very hard rock to almost metal sound from them. I use them to play very hard rock from 60's and 70's.

BTW go to Gibson Custom section under Custom Collection. I have pics of a new Les Paul Axcess guitar in Gun Metal Gray w/Floyd Rose trem.

Peace Bro

Rewd.

• 3 weeks later...

8471578067_8e5e905eaf.jpg

79 Flying V

8524164443_09ff5fb98e.jpg

2012 Gloss Flying V

I love that 79. It's perfect. I have a white V just like yours. Pickup covers and everything. Mine is a 2011 with an ebony fretboard. Awesome! [thumbup]

I love that 79. It's perfect. I have a white V just like yours. Pickup covers and everything. Mine is a 2011 with an ebony fretboard. Awesome! [thumbup]

Back in 1980 I just missed getting a white one. The store had a couple but sold them before I made my mind up. My friend practically gave me that natural 79 a few years later because he knew that I wanted one. That's why I put covers on my white one, I missed that look. Mine has a grenadillo fret board.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

A dream comes true!

I've been looking for one of these for a long time. I would have taken a black one but they made only 40 of them, and only in 2002. They are rare and sell for very high prices.

Now, some days ago I had the occasion to buy one. It's white, it's beautiful. They are quite rare here in my country. It's the first one I've seen for sale here in Italy.

The body is made of one big piece of mahogany.

The neck is big, is huge....is MASSIVE! One of the fattest neck I've ever seen in my life. I love big neck so it's very confortable to me.

She has two Classic '57s, an ABR-1 bridge and 500k pots.

Trust me on this, in real life is 10.000 times better than in pics.

2jayhiu.jpg

euhn2b.jpg

Bye!

Francesco

Ok.......never been much of a V guy, but man I'd make room in the rack for that one.........incredible!

NHTom

Archived