Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG with modification

hiawatha

I'm in the "just play the darn thing" camp. Too many people waste too much time looking for the perfect "look" or the perfect gear or setup. Most of the best players aren't nearly as obsessive about what pickups they use and what bridge and yada yada yada. They just go and play.

The SG Standard, stock, is a great guitar. There is nothing at all wrong with it. I have one, and wouldn't change a thing.

Also, you want to change things "at the source" instead of changing your amp settings? that makes absolutely no sense at all. the amp is just as much a part of your sound as your guitar is. They put the controls on their for a reason: so you can tweak your sound.

Incorrect' date=' in my opinion...I'd say your amp is closer to [b']90%[/b] of your sound, not including pedals of course.

well, I was trying not to get specific. It also depends on which amp you are playing, and how you have it set up. But yes, the amp is a BIG part of the sound, and the threadstarter seemed to be speaking like the amp didn't have any knobs. The amp is indeed a huge part of the sound, as are the speakers and cabinet the amp pushes the sound out through. There are so many components to the sound, and pickups are just one small piece.

498T's Rock!!

When I got my first Gibson....SG that is, I had my heart set on Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups.

My Luthier talked me out of it....I'm glad he did, because I have grown so fond of them. Great response and attack and overall tone.

Gibson has chosen them as their Standard pickup for a reason....Sometimes they really are wise!!

Archived