Gibson Brands Forums

repair advice

daylightrobbery

So I've just got back from an extended trip to S. America to find I don't exist anymore- no posts, no membership, access denied! [-(

I've traced it back and it seems that it was when I was at the ruins of Tiwanaku in Bolivia. There were these mysterious stones from a lost civilisation with strange astrological calanders just lying around and one had these very odd, perfectly drilled holes in it and it appears that as I- out of of curiosity- stuck my finger in one, the internet broke.....so sorry, it was me! #-o

At least some of the earlier nonsense got deleted.......only to be replaced with new nonsense I see! Oh well, universal balance is thus restored!!

Right- on to my question.

After contacting Gibson Europe, it turns out that the only Gibson Authorised repairer in the whole of Germany is just an hour away from me- some luck! My J200, I'm pretty sure needs a neck reset plus minor stuff like a partial re-fret. Only thing bothering me that from all his photos there are none of acoustics. Should this concern me and what questions should I ask when I go to see him in a couple of days (apart from the obvious like "Have you done a neck reset on an acoustic?"!!!).

The link is www.gibsonservicecentergermany.de

Thanks to anyone with an opinion.

rob

Welcome back daylightrobbery.

We all knew it was someone's fault. You will have to be far more careful about what you poke with your fingers - if you know what I mean!

Personal recommendation is very valuable here. If you were in England you'd have several already I'm sure. Ask the bloke if he has any cutomers you could talk to about neck resets. What guarantees can he give you?

If you need a fantastic repairer in Essex (north east of London) let me know and I'll put you in touch. He's done loads of work for me and a couple of fellow forum members.

...Should this concern me and what questions should I ask when I go to see him in a couple of days (apart from the obvious like "Have you done a neck reset on an acoustic?"!!!).

To answer your questions, yes and most definitely.

Just because his name is preceded by "Doctor", doesn't mean he can fix all your ills. If his wall is covered by baby pictures, and you need a colonoscopy, ... you're darn tootin' I'd be concerned and askin' if he has ever done a posterior exam.

Electric and acoustic guit tars are completely different animals from the neck down, each requiring a different skill set to maintain and repair.

:-

Thanks albertjohn, that might even be a solution as I could well be back in blighty soon. Problem is I'd probably be leaving again before the work was done and then have to come back for the guitar- making it one heck of an expensive repair!!

Out of interest, got a rough idea of what your man charges for a neck reset and re-fret?

Archived