Gibson Brands Forums

Have you ever played/jamed with a famous band/guitarist?

NeoLibMan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Neolibman

I have a few that are very fond memories...

Bernie Torme (ex Gillan, as in Deep Purples Ian Gillan) comes to my wife and my guitars society once a year to do a master class. At the end he is always up for a jam. We did 'All Along The Watchtower' last year and the year before 'Baby What You Want Me To Do'. He is a wonderful player and really easy to jam with.

Perhaps most special (for me) was playing with ex Randy Rhoads ex pupil Janet Robin last year. Janet used to be in the 80's/90's all girl group Precious Metal.

Also we here at the Gibson forums have our very own celebrity Chrisdude :- , who plays with founding member of Judas Priest, Al Atkins. Chris jammed with me, Roger and his 3 year old Rhiannon. That jam involved lots of beer a very echoey mansion room and lots of fun chaos!!

Matt

Lessee...where to start.

Played... jammed... some... but I was part of a start-up act for bands back in the 60's, (SF Bay Area), so, yeah.....

Did shows with Yardbirds, THEM, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Byrds, Turtles, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Love, Grassroots, Animals, Chuck Berry, Bobby Fuller Four, Beau Brummels, Vejtables, and on and on.... was even booked to "start" the Beatles concert at Candlestick, (Aug. 1966), but got knocked off the bill due to union issues, (SF is Local 6, I was Local 510 in San Leandro).

I went to highschool with Mimi & Rocco from Tower of Power, (still talk to Mimi on occasion).

For years lamented the fact that I never "made it", (could it be my guitar playing?), but am very comfortable in my life. Wouldn't change a thing.

Bob

Lessee...where to start.

Played... jammed... some... but I was part of a start-up act for bands back in the 60's' date=' (SF Bay Area), so, yeah.....

Did shows with Yardbirds, THEM, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Byrds, Turtles, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Love, Grassroots, Animals, Chuck Berry, Bobby Fuller Four, Beau Brummels, Vejtables, and on and on.... was even booked to "start" the Beatles concert at Candlestick, (Aug. 1966), but got knocked off the bill due to union issues, (SF is Local 6, I was Local 510 in San Leandro).

I went to highschool with Mimi & Rocco from Tower of Power, (still talk to Mimi on occasion).

For years lamented the fact that I never "made it", (could it be my guitar playing?), but am very comfortable in my life. Wouldn't change a thing.

Bob[/quote']

Cool stuff.... I have worked with many a well known name as sound engineer but I can't say I have ever jammed with any of them... Some include, Barry White, The Police, The Village People, Kool and the Gang, Grace Jones.... Robert Trujillo of Matallica use to hang at my studio in LA and played on some of my stuff but that was even before Infectious Grooves. Dave Dunn who did Keyboard work for Infectious Grooves was my production partner at the time.

Actually I've seen posters showing that I DID play with The WHO...but I don't recall it... you know what they say' date=' "If you remember the 60's, you didn't adequately partake!"

Bob[/quote']

Bob, I bow down to you. You are a true veteran rocker.

BB, you're very kind.... but don't bow down..... at my age it's too hard to get back up.....

I was lucky to have lived in the Bay Area at exactly the right time. I graduated highschool during "The Summer of Love", and my family was/is musical. My mom and dad met, (rest their souls), when he was playing and she was dancing! My sister is married to a working musician (25+ years), my brother is back doing shows in Virginia City, so it just came naturally and easily.

Bob

BB' date=' you're very kind.... but don't bow down..... at my age it's too hard to get back up.....

I was lucky to have lived in the Bay Area at exactly the right time. I graduated highschool during "The Summer of Love", and my family was/is musical. My mom and dad, (rest their souls), when he was playing and she was dancing! My sister is married to a working musician (25+ years), my brother is back doing shows in Virginia City, so it just came naturally and easily.

Bob[/quote']

Would you mind telling the name of the band you were in during those days. I will understand if you would prefer not to post that.

Like Danvilrob we shared a stage with most of the 'top twenty' acts during the sixties, including the Rolling Stones, Roy Orbison, Tom Jones to mention the most famous :-

I still have the autograph of Roy Orbison who was a perfect gentleman

Ah now ... those were the days ..........

They played with you...

You ok? need a bean bag sssion? :-/

Ok, now that I read it again, it did look kind of bad... :- What I menat if they have played in bands that were my bands... you know, to keep it in context.

But Ive played some of the local girl singers #-o

BB' date=' I don't mind, I have nothing to hide.

Band was "Peter Wheat & The Breadmen".

You were around the Bay Area back then?

Bob[/quote']

No, I was born and raised in Detroit. I was in the 2nd grade during the summer of love, I think I was listening to The Monkees at that time.

I see that you guys can be easily googled. Wow, which one is you in the pic?

peterwheat1.jpg

BB, I'm the guy "ironing"...HAHA.....

From the left side, Barry Houk, (lead guitar). "washing" Still see him, he's retired from Safeway.

Me, bass guitar. "ironing"

Roger Kennedy, Rhythm guitar, lead vocals. "stirring" Died about 15 years ago.

Terry Rissman, Drummer. not sure what he's doing...but sitting up on something. Lives in Montana, life ain't been good to him. Talk to him on occasion.

Chuck Tedford, keyboards. "Standing with spoon". Retired truck driver, living in Idaho, still talk to him often.

I actually REMEMBER taking that photo...(one of my more lucid days, I suspect).

Bob

(I need to figure out how to post photos on here)

Archived