Gibson Brands Forums

Gun advice

Thundergod

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear God! What are those rounds?!

There 5.6 or 7...cant remember... Will go straight through armour too!

Done some work with the the LAPD last november and this was the weapon and ammo there bodyguards were carrying..

Great bit of kit..

Regards

Seeking input and advice from people you are familiar with is a good idea - at least for a start.

Especially when you reside in a South American country where such ownership is 'discouraged' if you get my drift.

Join in if ya gots something good....

:-)

5.7x28mm?

Yep.

I've told people or years that guns are NOT evil.

That f-ing round is evil....

:-$

The Tokarev is no comparison when ballistics are compared.

You've already gotten plenty of good advice on which guns and how to prepare and all, so I'll only say that Neo is the most knowledgeable Gun Guy you could hope to come across (with nods towards Flight and Mick). My two cents will come in the form of Gun Safety Advice.

Make Sure it's a gun your Wife will be comfortable shooting, you might be in the shower or taking a dump when an intruder intrudes, and you don't want a useless gun sitting in the nightstand when She has to defend Herself. Then "Get Right" with putting a bullet in a body. There's nothing less safe than a Gun in the hands of a person unwilling to use it.

If your primary concern is your wife's safety, she should be able to protect herself, you may want to consider Two Guns, a His and Hers matching set, or a Shot Gun for you 9mm for her, sort of thing.

And remember, if you can't bring yourself to pull the trigger, protect yourself with a Baseball Bat and a Panic Room, 'cause you'll just arm the intruder with your gun otherwise.

ahh the gun conversation! haha

first the carry, the current carry which i have been the happiest with is the Glock 40, but if you have large hands you will want to make sure you get the extended clip cause when i got the gun my pinky didnt fit on the handle, which makes it slighty awkward to hold, also for intimidation i had the lazer added so when you sqeeze the handle the lazer comes on, now that will scare someone at night time to, hear the racking of a shell into the chamber and to see a lazer!

i also have some that are great for carry, that are also just great practical guns is a Kahr

some of the "toys" are my babies the TH series from Ruger the p89th (9mm) and the p90th (45) in blued crome, with the hogue grip on them! beautiful!!

i wont get into too many of the actual toys (the rifles and smgs) cause that post would be far too long!

but if you are looking for some serious intimdation ..............

ahh the Kriss 45s!

kriss_crb_so-thumb-500x333.jpg

kriss_super_v.jpg

mmmmm.............. now these are fun!

but no go with the glock 40 or look at the Kahr hamerless

Glock 40' date=' but if you have large hands you will want to make sure you get the extended clip cause when i got the gun my pinky didnt fit on the handle, which makes it slighty awkward to hold[/quote']

3 different sizes to choose from, from full size to compact are models 22, 23 & 27.

I prefer the 22 for that very reason, full size magazine and full size grip.

In the 9mm you have the same choices - the frames are identical in size.

Make Sure it's a gun your Wife will be comfortable shooting

Excellent advice' date=' which brings me full circle, right back to this;

A revolver in .357 magnum is the perfect one in my opinion - with a couple caveats.

ALWAYS keep it loaded with a good, high-quality hollowpoint ammo so it will fragment quickly.

Don't want it going through your walls, the neighbors walls, etc....

Practice with cheaper copper jacketed round-nose bullets until you're comfy.

Then load it with the hot stuff and keep it stowed safely.

A revolver is brain-dead simple to operate - the original point and click interface...

:D/

But what do I know, I'm just a federally licensed gun dealer...

:-

Okay, my turn...

There are a lot of good bits of advice here but...

One needs also to understand some tactical considerations.

A .357 medium frame revolver (such as the K or L frame Smith and Wesson) are excellent arms that will reliably digest a wide range of ammunition from low-powered .38 ammunition through hotter and hotter stuff up to .357.

A semi-auto may or may not reliably function with whatever you might be able to find at a given time in politics or marketplace.

To me, the argument that a Glock is easy to clear when it malfunctions isn't very good - who wants a malfunction at all? If you check the ammo for "high primers" and it's not "hot," it likely will function. The revolver also shoots from a jacket pocket better.

I'm personally not a proponent of "heavy loads" in any caliber for several reasons. First, in cqb I don't like heavy recoil. Second, in low light situations the flash blinds you as much or more than a bad guy(s) on the other end. Third it may not be appropriate for a spouse who is not comfortable with the idea of firearms where a lighter load may seem okay.

Finally, consider that "Wild Bill Hickock," the prince of pistoleers, used a black powder percussion revolver with less actual "whumph" than most .38 "special" ammunition. Of course, he also was noted as a fine marksman. (After he did a quick nighttime spin and shot his friend/deputy coming to back him up. It was his last time to shoot someone.)

I also like a replica model 92 Winchester that would digest both .38 and .357 with .38 ammo. A 16-inch barrel on the thing works well as a stick, too.

m

Gun advice?

If you need to look at the off-topic board on a guitar forum?

Don't.

And we think the batwing pickguard is the best' date=' too.[/quote']

Good question.

What does the one have to do with the other?

Federal Firearms License.....?

Think about it a little....

I've known a few with FFLs who thought the LP shouldn't have had a pickguard at all.

:-({|=

In summation of your contribution to the thread so far;

Why bother?

=;

And the pickguards are gone from every LP I ever owned.

:D/

Jeez' date=' just fxcking click elsewhere....[/b']

Handgun is what you want...Rifles take time to turn...

A stoppage is very easy to clear on a Glock...Its lightweight and with ammunition over 100 Grain will do the job...

My employer pays about £200 for them..

Regards

I use a 12 gauge that you could call a hand gun. It's in the top drawer of my night stand at arms reach from the bed.

Very effective.......cheaper than a comperable pistol :-k/

Thanks Neocon, (and others )I've only fired two guns in my life so my experience is somewhat limited. Excellent advice, you really know your stuff.

Its a different atmosphere where I live as far as guns are concerned. I only know one person who owns pistols ( the ones I fired ).

You can buy guns here, it just takes about 6 months from the time you get the ball rolling.

Anyway, if I ever decide to get one its good to know sound information is so readily available.

Thanks , Paul

Archived